Mel Morris new owner?

Seeing as I assume lawyers pore over every letter of these statements, I'd assume it to be correct, MM must be the majority owner, at least, of Derby County. 

​Just noticed that a DET article contains the following quote attributed to SM :-

" However,I have to accept (club director) Mel Morris wants to take a new direction."

As I hadn't seen this article earlier,I don't know if the wording was altered from owner to club director.

His statement would still have been accurate if all of them wanted a new direction-he just felt the need to single out MM.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Just noticed that a DET article contains the following quote attributed to SM :-

" However,I have to accept (club director) Mel Morris wants to take a new direction."

As I hadn't seen this article earlier,I don't know if the wording was altered from owner to club director.

His statement would still have been accurate if all of them wanted a new direction-he just felt the need to single out MM.

The quote I read was on SSN, may have been adjusted in the meantime to more accurately reflect the situation.

The quote I read was on SSN, may have been adjusted in the meantime to more accurately reflect the situation.

​Ignoring "owner", I've seen journalists describing MM's stake variously as 25%,major and majority.At least one of these must be wrong.I'm really looking forward to the next annual return now,as this will nail it and show if these journos are working on facts or speculation.

​Or so you're going to guess. Any evidence of that? I'm sure eddie will love this post, you even backed it up with the good old fashioned "it seems".

It seems like I'm a top quality poster but in actuality my posts are normally a waste of keyboard plastic.

It seems like you know what you're talking about but in actually you're just as clueless as the rest of us.

​My work here is done. Happy to hand over the reins to Deputy Tombo.

Don't like his decision to sack McClaren, don't agree with it at all. McClaren had the backing of Rush and the board seem to trust Rush, but now Morris has got a bigger stake he has more influence and it seems like one of his first decisions was to sack Mac. 

Yes he has a lot of money, but so does Fawaz and look where they are. We stuck with Clough for 4 years and his highest position was 10th and now we sack McClaren whose lowest position was 8th, it really does seem rash. 

Would agree with all of that,  McClaren a victim of over achievement in his first season where he only took over a few months in 

I know I am courting conjecture from fellow half fans and idiots, and accept the accompanying opprobium, but...

Is anyone concerned about Sam Rush's future with the Rams?  Stevie Mac was his man and even a week ago was advising against anything too draconian.  Just saying....

#NITK

All the best in your new role Mel, it proves you have balls to sack Mac, but if it all goes wrong next season, you're gonna have to face a lot of peeved off fans who thought we'd seen the back of strife and had a bright future. I wish you luck, cuz you'll need it!!!

( though Green Ram thinks SR has upped his stake to 5%,which would throw a spanner in the works) 

​For the purposes of the lawyers reading - I don't *think* that, I merely posted a link to a guy on Twitter who said that SR had told him so, categorically in an email pledging his on-going allegiance to the club. :)

The Mel Morris situation is interesting, as

1) A couple of the speculative press articles about McClaren's future painted the situation as being Mac vs MM, whoch seemed to come from nowhere.

2) There was no reason for McClaren to name MM in his press statement, he could have just said "the club" or "the board".

I know I keep going on about the joke that Rush made at the End Of Season Dinner about Morris writing a cheque for £30 million (or some figure like that) but all of the evidence is pointing towards MM taking a much more central role.

And personally I think that has to be a good thing.

Let's not forget the 4-4 draw with Ipswich when SMc arrived? We were chanting "sack the board" because we were sick of a faceless American hedge fund running our club in a seemingly ambivalent fashion. If someone had offered us a super-rich local fan at that point, another Lionel...we'd have snapped their hand off

Already the name Mel Morris is p---ing me off................................Webb, Gadsby et al.

The sacking of Clough was handled badly and this one even worse.

We are in for a tough season ahead with unrest at all levels.

Already the name Mel Morris is p---ing me off................................Webb, Gadsby et al.

The sacking of Clough was handled badly and this one even worse.

We are in for a tough season ahead with unrest at all levels.

Webb ,and Gadsby , yeah what did those two ever do for us aye , apart from having a lot to do with making sure there still is a Derby County they did sweet FA .

I've done a couple of quick calculations regarding this unconfirmed uplifting of stake to 25%.As I see it there are 3 ways this could have happened:-

1) Buy out existing NAP shares,thus reducing their holding and increasing his own

2)Buy new shares to increase his holding.This can only be calculated if others didn't also buy new shares.

3) A mixture of the above 2 -impossible to calculate.

I reckon that 1) would entail buying out  2,197,575 shares -price unknown,though latest published 'going rate' appeared to be £5.32/share (but no guarantees here).This puts no new money into the club.Given ongoing working capital requirements,I find this unlikely as a stand alone.However,NAP members might like to reduce their exposure.

2) would seem to indicate buying c2.3m new shares,again price unknown,but it would seem to indicate new investment of over £10m -could provide working capital and give the others an investment holiday.The 2.3m figure only works if others haven't purchased new shares-if they have,the 2.3m figure rises. I wouldn't see this scenario as particularly unlikely ( though Green Ram thinks SR has upped his stake to 5%,which would throw a spanner in the works) 

​Apologies, the figure in 2) above should have read c2.93m new shares,which would give likely proceeds of over £15m,based on a £5+ share price.

Also,apologies to Green Ram ,as I should have worded something rather better in my recent reference to him.

​A major stake isn't the same as a majority stake,unless the major stake isn't over 50% ( in which case it would be termed a majority,rather than major,stake). 

​Ok Boycie,I won't be embarrassed -here's one I didn't correct.

​Apparently they want to stay but who knows anyway.

but Steele announced weeks ago he would find it very hard to turn geordies down. Here's hoping he gets an offer along with mcclaren....and any likely payout will likely be reduced or eliminated. Mcclaren leaving statement was nit an agreed one by both parties as implying MM is "owner" is a needless statement.....but from a manager who denies the Newcastle issue had any effect on the team, I am glad we are moving forwards without Mcclaren. All managers cite a players deteriorating form on gossip over a likely move to a new club. ....... So why overlook effect of his refusal to state he would not go to Geordies back in January .

stating we were 8th vs 10th under clough is ridiculous. Salmon vs Martin.......18yr old Will Hughes 20 yr old Will. Ince vs Coutts ......

mcclaren blew our season. Failure in play offs and so be it. To turn out awful performances with ck as CDM for 36mins in a key game was a joke Does anyone think that will ever be tried again .....maybe in U21!!!

he needed to go. Likely wanted to go (players certainly were not playing for him nor talking ip for him) and he has gone. We move forward. We must treat ex employee words with suspicion....he is not saying who is our alleged owner with any intention to "help" our club or team. On that basis good riddance. We are I deed DERBY. With a local, rich successful fan more involved. Nothing not to like.

I've nothing against MM, but last time we had rich local businessmen in charge, we spiralled out of control and it took us 6 years to get over it. I like the structure we have and don't want it chucked over.

but Steele announced weeks ago he would find it very hard to turn geordies down. Here's hoping he gets an offer along with mcclaren....and any likely payout will likely be reduced or eliminated. Mcclaren leaving statement was nit an agreed one by both parties as implying MM is "owner" is a needless statement.....but from a manager who denies the Newcastle issue had any effect on the team, I am glad we are moving forwards without Mcclaren. All managers cite a players deteriorating form on gossip over a likely move to a new club. ....... So why overlook effect of his refusal to state he would not go to Geordies back in January .

stating we were 8th vs 10th under clough is ridiculous. Salmon vs Martin.......18yr old Will Hughes 20 yr old Will. Ince vs Coutts ......

mcclaren blew our season. Failure in play offs and so be it. To turn out awful performances with ck as CDM for 36mins in a key game was a joke Does anyone think that will ever be tried again .....maybe in U21!!!

he needed to go. Likely wanted to go (players certainly were not playing for him nor talking ip for him) and he has gone. We move forward. We must treat ex employee words with suspicion....he is not saying who is our alleged owner with any intention to "help" our club or team. On that basis good riddance. We are I deed DERBY. With a local, rich successful fan more involved. Nothing not to like.

Maybe a lot of rich, successful people involved are better than 1, so far our owners have covered our losses every season pretty much up to the limits allowed, they really couldn't have done much more, and neither will MM on his own.

• 1 month later...

You do realise that is a parody account, don't you?

Cringe to see those tweets that people thought it's him lmao. Hopefully that account close ASAP.

Archived