Mel Morris new owner?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​It's not a guarantee though is it? The PL is increasingly money orientated, and with the new TV deal and probable future deals for more money, the 'core' of the PL will remain there, with those who drop out likely to return. To say we're 100% definitely going to get promoted is not guaranteed so why does that mean I have no sense if I don't know we will eventually.

There's absolutely nothing saying we won't get relegated next season. I don't think we will but I doubt Wigan fans did this time last year either.

​It's hard to go from winning 10 matches in a season to winning 30.From playing defensive football to attacking. Be optimistic, just a little mate. 

​It's hard to go from winning 10 matches in a season to winning 30.From playing defensive football to attacking. Be optimistic, just a little mate. 

​I am optimistic. I'm just cautious the way that clubs can 'presume' they have a given right to go up. We won't go up without effort and to have the presumption in our minds that we WILL go up could end up having an adverse affect, that's all mate.

The current Global Derby board consists of :-

A. Appleby,W.Luby,J. Mallett,D.Richardson,T.Ricketts,T.Vertin (the NAP contingent) and MM&SR.

One of the above(either Richardson or Vertin,can't remember,is effectively proxy for Brett Wilson- I think the investment vehicle is Prairie Merchant Bank).

I think it quite likely that some of the above may hold over 10% (within NAP,and only by extension within Global Derby) and one could quite easily own 25% (or more). There's no way SM could have been sacked if the NAP contingent were strongly supportive of him-mind you,they probably wouldn't be too concerned if MM took the flak-they've had their share over the years!

Seeing as I assume lawyers pore over every letter of these statements, I'd assume it to be correct, MM must be the majority owner, at least, of Derby County. 

​A major stake isn't the same as a majority stake,unless the major stake isn't over 50% ( in which case it would be termed a majority,rather than major,stake). 

No........I know there is not ten it was just a point

However that was what  I was told by more than one party ....one of whom is no longer at the club or any club after events elsewhere

​That situation may have applied to the LOG when they first took over with equal holdings.To preserve equality,any future investment would have also entailed parity. There appears to be a wide spread of holdings under the current administration.

​A major stake isn't the same as a majority stake,unless the major stake isn't over 50% ( in which case it would be termed a majority,rather than major,stake). 

Agreed but the statement definitely said the club's owner, Mel Morris. Doesn't seem like a point a lawyer would miss, does it?

Agreed but the statement definitely said the club's owner, Mel Morris. Doesn't seem like a point a lawyer would miss, does it?

​A bit loose though-you could label all of the investors as owners,as long as you didn't preface by "outright".

For all we know (and we'll probably never know),all of the investors may have wanted Mac out.

General Sports... is Andy Appleby's brand. DCFC now has no association with the General Sports brand. Mel Morris is (I believe) the new Chairman of DCFC. I don't think it stretches credulity too far to suggest that MM has acquired AA's shares. Still nowhere near a majority, but enough to become a major shareholder. I also wonder how wedded the other original investors are to DCFC as a sporting rather than an investment opportunity? With Appleby (who originally put together the investment group) out of the picture, the dynamic changes. Sports fans stay and speculators sell up. 

​I am optimistic. I'm just cautious the way that clubs can 'presume' they have a given right to go up. We won't go up without effort and to have the presumption in our minds that we WILL go up could end up having an adverse affect, that's all mate.

​Don't worry Kernow, that statement from the club will be aimed at the likes of Ince and other players on the board's radar just as much as it was for the fans, they need to send out a message about their ambition and intent, positivity is the name of the game. ;)

General Sports... is Andy Appleby's brand. DCFC now has no association with the General Sports brand. Mel Morris is (I believe) the new Chairman of DCFC. I don't think it stretches credulity too far to suggest that MM has acquired AA's shares. Still nowhere near a majority, but enough to become a major shareholder. I also wonder how wedded the other original investors are to DCFC as a sporting rather than an investment opportunity? With Appleby (who originally put together the investment group) out of the picture, the dynamic changes. Sports fans stay and speculators sell up. 

​Buying out AA,and also buying new shares (as there would be working capital requirements for 15/16) is certainly a possibility I'd been considering (but one of many). Any board changes will (eventually) be notified to CH.

Archived