The 2 Big Sam's

​The great system that for 75% of the season saw us dominate most teams we played and put us comfortably among the best in the division. The system that we had to change due to injury and picked up 2 wins in 13.

Yes, throw it out with the bathwater. I never liked that baby anyway.

​Really?

Which games were you watching? We rarely dominated any games this season.

Last season we played the better football and this season, McClaren became more defensive opting to hold on to leads. As a team, I thought we went backwards tactically.

We had one system. One system and as soon as teams found us out, our Head Coach was unable to come up with an answer.

A couple of posters have actually liked your post which suggests they are as deluded as you are.

The table doesn't lie. We were a slightly better than mid-table Championship side and I'm sorry if I think a change of system might just see us progress.

How sad that so many seem so happy with utter mediocrity.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Not so sure about Allardyce. Everything at the club would have to change, huge upheaval to produce a different style of football, he would need a fairly big turn around of players. 

It may be successful, maybe not. I would suggest it would still be a fairly big risk, as he would be undoing a lot of the last few years work. 

Really? I cannot agree with that. The West Ham side he took over were far more synonymous with playing football than we (Derby) will ever be! They didn't need a turnaround in players, except to progress. Even so, if it did require that, who's to say it isn't the right thing to do? Or would you rather is stick with a load of weak-minded chokers?​

Someone remind me how many matches Big Sam has won at West Ham recently. For someone on the wages he's on, he gives the impression that he doesn't give a stuff, and don't forget you get his son taking his slice of the pie as well. NO THANK YOU!

Can you not draw similarities? Everyone. Many​ people blame Derby's poor recent form on the prospect of McClaren leaving. Yet it's been the worst kept secret in football that Big Sam would be out at the end of the season. What have the players got to motivate them?

You do realise the wheels have fallen off at West Ham even more than here. They are rock bottom of the form league. He has given the impression that his job was done as soon as they got enough points to stay up. He knew he was leaving.

​You've answered your own comment with your last 5 words. He's been shitted on!

​Really?

Last season we played the better football and this season, McClaren became more defensive opting to hold on to leads. As a team, I thought we went backwards tactically.

We had one system. One system and as soon as teams found us out, our Head Coach was unable to come up with an answer.

A couple of posters have actually liked your post which suggests they are as deluded as you are.

The table doesn't lie. We were a slightly better than mid-table Championship side and I'm sorry if I think a change of system might just see us progress.

We dominated lots of games. Loads. I think you're remembering the end of the season rather than the other 75%

Agree with the second paragraph. 

Don't think it was down to being figured out. They say this sort of thing whenever Barcelona are well beaten. "Oh you just have to..." yet here they are playing the exact same way still. Man United under Ferguson played the same style for years. A traditional 442 with the best wingers available.  If you're good at something then you don't change it. What happened to us was we were decimated by injuries in losing our first, second and third choice defensive midfielder and our first and second choice striker. That would hurt any club. Any club. We should have recognised sooner that our system was unavailable. You can't build a house without bricks. So there's a mistake. 

Slightly better than a midtable side? 77 points is not slightly better than an average Champ side. We were in the top 6 for almost the entire season and never dropped out until the last day? Look at our goal difference. Our abysmal defensive record?  Compare it to previous seasons. Our season collapsed but there was plenty of evidence to suggest this team is better than average. 

As you're a big Nigel Clough supporter I find your last sentence bizarre. I still like Nigel too. But we were the very definition  of average until McClaren came. 

​The table doesn't lie. We were a slightly better than mid-table Championship side and I'm sorry if I think a change of system might just see us progress.

​The table doesn't lie, which is why I suggest you look at our position in the league when we had the players to play the system you're advocating we change. The nosedive only occurred when we were forced to play an unbalanced forward 3 and then do away with the DM all together.

I'm not saying it's acceptable that we were completely unable to adjust our style of play and that's something we need to work on, but I am saying that it's a stupid idea to change a style and formation that had us consistently in the top four and top of the table on several occasions.

Your explanation for the dip in form simply doesn't wash. Seriously, which is more logical?;

A - Every single team in the league suddenly realised how to play against us in February.

B - Injuries to key players forced us to change the shape of the team and we completely failed to adjust.

​Really?

We dominated most games up until Fulham last season, and for me, even though we missed the play offs, the football and results up until that game were the best at this club for many a year.

Lets not forget we topped the table by 5 points, something we haven't done for several years, and the season was anything but mediocre.  We had another good cup run, and with a bit of luck could have progressed to the semis, whilst giving the champions of England a good game before eventually losing.

Last season we played better football from January onwards, around the time we introduced one George Thorne, this year unfortunately his return did not materialisebaking with the loss of another of our keys players.

Should the board decide that we need a change in direction, then I can understand that, I don't agree with it, but they are the money men, and they are a lot closer to one happened behind the scenes than am I.

Finally, we had other systems, it's just that they didn't work, we tried playing 442, 352, and 4231, let's hope the new man can get the players to adapt to his new system, otherwise we can see a return to the days when we really were a mediocre team.

Archived