Pre-season

RamFan13

Derby County will face Portuguese giants SL Benfica as part of their preparations for the 2015/16 season in a mouthwatering pre-season friendly fixture.

Benfica, who were confirmed as the Portuguese Champions for the current season last weekend under the management of Jorge Jesus, will take on the Rams at the iPro Stadium on Tuesday 28th July (7:45pm).

The game will see the two sides meet for the first time since Derby’s maiden venture into Europe as First Division Champions in the 1972/73 season, when they overcame Benfica over two legs in the Second Round of the European Cup under Brian Clough.

The Rams recorded a 3-0 home victory at the Baseball Ground in October 1972 – courtesy of goals from Roy McFarland, Kevin Hector and John McGovern before a crowd of over 38,000 – prior to progressing to Third Round after a goalless draw in the return leg two weeks later.

Benfica are the most successful professional team in Portuguese history. They have won the Primeira Liga on a staggering 34 occasions, as well as the European Cup (now the UEFA Champions League) twice.

Their current squad – who will be staying at St George’s Park prior to the game - boasts a number of international stars, which means Derby’s squad will pit their wits against the likes of Argentina’s Lisandro López & Eduardo Salvio, Brazil’s Luisão, Jonas & Júlio César, Uruguay’s Maxi Pereira, Portugal’s Rúben Amorim, Greece’s Andreas Samaris and Serbia’s Ljubomir Fejsa & Miralem Sulejmani.

Ticket prices for the match have been confirmed as £15 Adults, £10 Senior Citizens & Under 18s and £5 Under 12s. Sales will commence on www.WeAreDerby.com in the near future.

Derby will also head into Europe to continue their preparations for the new campaign for a pre-season training camp.

The squad will head to Holland on Sunday 19th July before returning to the UK on Saturday 25th July, during which time they will play two matches against Dutch teams.

Eredivisie side PEC Zwolle will be their first opponents on Tuesday 21st July (7:30pm local time) in Nieuwleusden, followed by a match against FC Utrecht – also from the Dutch top flight - on Friday 24th July (7pm local time) in Utrecht (Zoudenbalch). Venue details will be confirmed once they have been made available. 

In addition to the Benfica game and the trip to Holland, the Rams will also play a number of games against English opposition.

Their pre-season games campaign will begin with a trip to non-league Nuneaton Town, managed by former Ram Kevin Wilson, on Saturday 4th July (2pm).

Derby will also face League 2 Northampton Town and newly-promoted League 1 outfit Burton Albion ahead of next season.

They will travel to Sixfields to face Northampton on Saturday 18th July (2pm) and Burton’s Pirelli Stadium on Saturday 1st August (3pm).

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/benfica-back-in-derby-as-part-of-201516-pre-season-plans-2462865.aspx#KdjoTfKm70IdVLMC.99

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(...:angry:.

Sigh,will see Derby in person eventually I suppose.

P.S. Any have any ideas how I can stowaway on a flight to Holland? Much appreciated.

​F*ck coming to Derby to watch us, place is a dump.

Fly to Amsterdam and watch us over there, be a quality trip. 

I don't believe it, for 30+ years I lived in Northampton and there wasn't a sniff of Derby playing there, then I move to Cornwall and this will be the 2nd time Derby have played at Sixfields in the few years I've gone. I was praying for a West Country tour. Oh well, back to wishing for Plymouth in the cup.

The Benfica game isn't a guarantee.

It's being studied, but reports in Portugal state it's nowhere near a done deal.

​It's confirmed.

:(...:angry:.

Sigh,will see Derby in person eventually I suppose.

P.S. Any have any ideas how I can stowaway on a flight to Holland? Much appreciated.

​Next summer hopefully in USA as long we go up of course lol.

I don't believe it, for 30+ years I lived in Northampton and there wasn't a sniff of Derby playing there, then I move to Cornwall and this will be the 2nd time Derby have played at Sixfields in the few years I've gone. I was praying for a West Country tour. Oh well, back to wishing for Plymouth in the cup.

No! No! No! Not Plymouth in the cup! Memories too painfull

Ferry booked, hotel booked.

You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?

Having a bit of luxury - staying in the Grand Hotel, Scheveningen.

14205470.jpg

This is tempting. Not sure i can afford to spend long in Amsterdam after last time costing me hundreds.

That Anne Frank Museum is fookin expensive.

There are only two things here that I believe to be true.  1) You did spend hundreds of pounds last time you went to Amsterdam, and 2) that any woman you encountered probably did try to hide at the top of their house.

Archived