Derby Must Avoid a "draconian" Review

So says the BBC website along with a picture of a smiling Sam Rush and Schteeve obviously taken some while ago. Just as well they pay no heed to the views expressed on here.

Question to my fellow bloggers is when in your humble opinion of the lexicon of reviews does "limited" become "thorough" become "draconian". Is it possible to have a really thorough review and conclude very little needs to change?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very little does need changing. We were in the top 6 for nearly the entire season. Just find out what happened at the end and stop it happening again. Keep the team spirit, keep the style, get back to decimating teams and perhaps being a bit careless at the back. Outscore teams. We only started conceding stupid goals because the defenders got worried about conceding stupid goals. The only way to end that vicious circle is to take all the pressure off and let the defenders do whatever.

If you listen to some on here, we should be 'draconian' in defence but that's exactly the reason we've suffered. We have to be a more liberated and creatively free team all over the park but that's all. No massive changes.

Well, Rampton (is he actually an inmate or an employee?) reckons that the players "…should all f*** off" - so that's one vote for a Draconian review.

Not too much does need to change. It has to be remembered we did nearly everything perfect this season. Just the last part we fell away spectacularly.

We need to get injured players sorted first and foremost. The spine of Bucko Thorne and Martin. 

Then we need to offload players that aren't good enough for a top 2/playoff push. 

Look at what positions we need to sign players. We don't need lots of changes, real quality over quantity. Players who are going to come in and be on the team sheet. 

Then decide Thorne isn't going to play every game, get some competition in for him. Also recognise the need for a CB to partner Keogh and actually have Keogh and someone being pushed by Bucko and Albentosa for their places increasing their performance levels. 

Not too much does need to change. It has to be remembered we did nearly everything perfect this season. Just the last part we fell away spectacularly.

We need to get injured players sorted first and foremost. The spine of Bucko Thorne and Martin

Then we need to offload players that aren't good enough for a top 2/playoff push. 

Look at what positions we need to sign players. We don't need lots of changes, real quality over quantity. Players who are going to come in and be on the team sheet. 

Then decide Thorne isn't going to play every game, get some competition in for him. Also recognise the need for a CB to partner Keogh and actually have Keogh and someone being pushed by Bucko and Albentosa for their places increasing their performance levels. 

​Why does Bucko being fit need to be sorted first and foremost, if all he will do is 'push' a new CB, surely first and foremost we should get in this CB

We need to get injured players sorted first and foremost. The spine of Bucko Thorne and Martin.

​Not sure how to read this, I'll be surprised if you are saying get rid of these 3 but 2 of which have been out injured for a long time.

Nice to see a thread where everyone is not calling for all the players to be sold and a completely new squad purchased!

We all know we had problems towards the end of last season but to pin them purely on the defence is wrong. The defence had very little protection and without Martin we failed to hold the ball up top, both leading to increased pressure on an already fragile defence.

A little bit of tweaking and a pre season of rebuilding confidence should do us the world of good.

​Why does Bucko being fit need to be sorted first and foremost, if all he will do is 'push' a new CB, surely first and foremost we should get in this CB

Maybe not "first and foremost" for Bucko needing to be fit but certainly Martin and Thorne. 

I agree getting in a quality CB is our number 1 priority. 

What we need is -

A new right back that can defend first and foremost.

A centre back to replace Keogh.

A fully fit Thorne, capable of playing 20 games on the spin

An experiencd CM, not to necessarily run games (especially if Hughes stays) but to cajole and encourage the team and keep a cool head when under the cosh.

Get Ince back

A capable understudy for Martin

To sell Shotton, Keogh, Bryson, Warnock & Sammon

​Not sure how to read this, I'll be surprised if you are saying get rid of these 3 but 2 of which have been out injured for a long time.

Yeah I'm certainly not saying get rid.  

I read Martin might need surgery, if so I was implying lets get that done quick so we know how long he will be out for.

When I say get it sorted, what I mean is lets decide given their injuries if we need to get in players or not to provide an alternative.  

As you say 2 of them have been out injured for a long time. I think the chances are Bucko and Thorne will get injured again this season. Obviously injuries are down to chance and hard to predict but Bucko is getting old now and Thorne is prone to frequent injuries. 

Drastic changes to the back four needed. It was obvious before last season, obvious in Jan even more obvious now

Who though? 

They need to be ball players who are better than what we've got. It's alright saying get a new back four, but there aren't many ball playing defenders out there.

There's no point going out there and signing four out and out defenders either. Imagine four players in defence as comfortable on the ball as  Forsyth, we'd probably have 15% less possession, we'd be under the cosh more and our team geared up for attack would suddenly be forced to defend.

Nice to see a thread where everyone is not calling for all the players to be sold and a completely new squad purchased!

We all know we had problems towards the end of last season but to pin them purely on the defence is wrong. The defence had very little protection and without Martin we failed to hold the ball up top, both leading to increased pressure on an already fragile defence.

A little bit of tweaking and a pre season of rebuilding confidence should do us the world of good.

​I don't think having one fully fit CDM will mask the blatant cracks that were clear to see last season. Two seasons running now questions have been asked about Keogh, spells of form seem to blind a lot of people to all the mistakes he makes/is prone to making. Forsyth seems shot of confidence and cannot handle the pressure, which is a shame because of how good he was the end of 13/14 season. We cant risk waiting until January to make changes when we have a whole summer where we can shake up the team.

Teams were switched on to us last season high pressure and our defence crumbled, the same will happen again unless changes are made IMO.

Yeah I'm certainly not saying get rid.  

I read Martin might need surgery, if so I was implying lets get that done quick so we know how long he will be out for.

When I say get it sorted, what I mean is lets decide given their injuries if we need to get in players or not to provide an alternative.  

As you say 2 of them have been out injured for a long time. I think the chances are Bucko and Thorne will get injured again this season. Obviously injuries are down to chance and hard to predict but Bucko is getting old now and Thorne is prone to frequent injuries. 

​Got you,

I would go into the season planning for a season without Thorne, if he's there that's a bonus. 22 years old and never completed a full season of football, around 50 career games and 2 horrible injuries. 

Clearly a talent with bags of potential but a massive risk to gamble on him staying fit.

Who though? 

They need to be ball players who are better than what we've got. It's alright saying get a new back four, but there aren't many ball playing defenders out there.

There's no point going out there and signing four out and out defenders either. Imagine four players in defence as comfortable on the ball as  Forsyth, we'd probably have 15% less possession, we'd be under the cosh more and our team geared up for attack would suddenly be forced to defend.

​Id be going for Shackell, Wisdom and a young attacking left back. I think with a pre season and playing on his correct side Albentosa will come good (prepared for the backlash of that comment). Also have the possibility of Rawson pushing for a first team place if all the hype is correct.

firstly, we need to break away from the myths.

1. We don't need our centrebacks to be accomplished footballers. Their job is to protect the goal. Clear the ball or give it to someone who is accomplished. SIMPLE.

2. We shouldn't judge our fullbacks primarily by their attacking prowess! Their priority is to protect the goal. If they can dribble, shoot and cross, it's a bonus.

3. We do NOT need a defensive midfielder if we have a proper defence.

4. We do NOT need a like for like backup for Chris Martin. We need an able alternative, and we do need to play in a way to maximise the abilities of whichever player we use.

5. Ince and Bent did NOT ruin our style of play and make it ineffective. The style of play was changed, and confidence affected performances.

6. Shackell was not a brilliant player for Derby and his return will not solve anything, likewise Wisdom.

Archived