McClaren out?

Posh Ram

Should Steve McClaren be fired?  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The crowd seemed edgy from an early stage... well we did concede after 2-3 minutes due to another abysmal **** up of a goal against a  team who hadn't won in 8-9 games when a clean sheet would have seen us through.

I normally can't stand the moaning ***** in the stands, but I can hardly blame them for getting edgy today

If SMc stays fantastic he has taken a group of average players onto the cusp of getting promotion twice. I have to say though there feels like such a negativity for some time now, things just dont feel right not sure if there is going to be a way back for him.

There is no smoke without fire. All I hope is that it sorted as soon as humanly possible so all parties can move on.

Never mind the team losing confidence and lacking ideas. The same goes for the Head Coach.  He doesnt seem to know what to do; In the stand, on the side line; shouting at his players, stalking up and down in silence; angry and then laughing.  He has been a good manager, and when things are going well he promotes a very good atmosphere that attracts young loan players, but when the wheels came off, like they did big time, he didnt solve the problems and I have no faith in him learning from the experience. It puts me in mind of a similar scenario; Keegans stint for the FA as England manger.

When things have been going well McClaren looked an accomplished coach when the cracks started to appear he looked lost and bereft of any ideas how to dig us out of a hole. The recent interviews he gave could hardly have inspired confidence in our players. He had the team playing well to a system but when he wasnt able to play that system didn't have any practical back up plan at all and was total lacking in ideas. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

Did anyone hear them talking about Mac going to Newcastle on MOTD extra? 

Discussing weather Newcastle will get him in for the last 3 games..

I personally don't think the Mac is the sort of manager you want in a relegation scrap..  Great manager when things are going right.. But as we have seen, Not the best when comes to "stopping the rot"

This season has been a huge disappointment granted, but some you so called fans think that the best thing to do would be to sack the manager, the man who turned our mid table mediocre side to the brinks of promotion. I'll admit that his signings have been somewhat disappointing, but who would've thought that the players with the calibre of Darren Bent would come to Derby or Jordon Ibe and Tom Ince, who got those players, Steve McClaren.

For the record can we put to bed the mid table mediocre nonsense.

During this period we played a total of 9 league games losing to Leicester & Reading as always, Burnley the runaway winners and off course Forest away when Clough was sacked in such a cowardly fashion.

During this period we knocked in 21 goals and were playing some sparkling football. The team was galvanised, with a fantastic spirit and work ethic. Had we let this run its course I’m of the firm belief that we would now be in the Premiership.

Contrast that to what we have been left with. Team disharmony, lack of respect for the Coach; - note I say coach because he is no manager – work shy loan signings with no care and only self interests at heart.

Whats happened to the club development that used to be the envy of the football league. I used to love the progression and nurturing of our youngsters aka Hendrick, O Brien, Hughes, Bennet etc. What have we had in the past 18 Months, a cameo appearance from Hanson? Have we become a kindergarten for the Premier clubs at the expense of our own youngsters?

Hopefully McLaren will do the honourable thing and walk. Rush wont sack him as he’s invested too much in him, but he has got to go,

During this period we played a total of 9 league games losing to Leicester & Reading as always, Burnley the runaway winners and off course Forest away when Clough was sacked in such a cowardly fashion.

During this period we knocked in 21 goals and were playing some sparkling football. The team was galvanised, with a fantastic spirit and work ethic. Had we let this run its course I’m of the firm belief that we would now be in the Premiership.

Contrast that to what we have been left with. Team disharmony, lack of respect for the Coach; - note I say coach because he is no manager – work shy loan signings with no care and only self interests at heart.

Whats happened to the club development that used to be the envy of the football league. I used to love the progression and nurturing of our youngsters aka Hendrick, O Brien, Hughes, Bennet etc. What have we had in the past 18 Months, a cameo appearance from Hanson? Have we become a kindergarten for the Premier clubs at the expense of our own youngsters?

Hopefully McLaren will do the honourable thing and walk. Rush wont sack him as he’s invested too much in him, but he has got to go,

I’m sorry but we were going no where under Clough. People are only suggesting that Clough would have got us in the play offs because McClaren actually went out and achieved it. It was going to be the same old season, look good one game, look awful the next, no consistency at all. Clough had 5 years (thats a long time in football) to get his side challenging for promotion but he never came close on reflection. McClaren did in just over half a season. So close. I liked Clough a lot but I’m not going to delude myself into thinking he was on the brink of something special.

I don’t get our fans. We wanted to keep a manager at the club who had more than enough time to make something happen but didn’t. Then the man who replaces him does a fantastic job, but a couple of poor months and these same fans who thought the Clough sacking was harsh want Mac to **** off. One rule for one person, one rule for another. 

We’ve had two largely successful seasons under Mac. I’ll never forget that Brighton away leg in the PO Semi’s, we were brilliant, best football I’ve ever seen us play. Give him some more time and lets see if he can get us back to that. If not then yes his time is probably up, but I’ll wish him all the best, just like I did with Clough!

play offs was Clough's target before he was removed.

I don't personally think we'd have got there, but we were in for a decent season even before that. we just needed something extra to make good great and that's what happened. Cloughs downfall was higher expectations from the board.

Nope from me. I don't want our club to be similar than notts forest whose chop&change-strategy is ridiculous.

And why people are slating Mac for Evans' singings?

​In fairness, as much as I don't want McClaren out, he spoke very clearly about the 'triangle' of himself, Evans and Rush. The setup appears to be that McClaren says to Evans "find me someone who can play in this position", then Evans comes back with the options, and they pick one. They are not Evans signings. They are team signings.

​In fairness, as much as I don't want McClaren out, he spoke very clearly about the 'triangle' of himself, Evans and Rush. The setup appears to be that McClaren says to Evans "find me someone who can play in this position", then Evans comes back with the options, and they pick one. They are not Evans signings. They are team signings.

​Exactly what Evans said at the presentation he gave before the Boro home game.

Clough's problem was the jobs for his mates mentality. They were never good enough. Plus he had an arrogance that wasn't matched by his ability. 

My understanding was that he tried to suggest to Rush that he didn't know what he was talking about. Rush tore a strip off him and showed him in no uncertain terms who was boss. 

I suspect I am one of the few on here who had no time for Clough, admittedly based on nothing more than personal dislike of his nature. 

Clough's problem was the jobs for his mates mentality. They were never good enough. Plus he had an arrogance that wasn't matched by his ability. 

My understanding was that he tried to suggest to Rush that he didn't know what he was talking about. Rush tore a strip off him and showed him in no uncertain terms who was boss. 

I suspect I am one of the few on here who had no time for Clough, admittedly based on nothing more than personal dislike of his nature. 

​their preseason worked at preparing the squad for a full season. And the physio and academy staff are the same. And not many of the new players brought in by the new scouting system seem to have ousted those brought in by the previous system.

I’m sorry but we were going no where under Clough. People are only suggesting that Clough would have got us in the play offs because McClaren actually went out and achieved it. It was going to be the same old season, look good one game, look awful the next, no consistency at all. Clough had 5 years (thats a long time in football) to get his side challenging for promotion but he never came close on reflection. McClaren did in just over half a season. So close. I liked Clough a lot but I’m not going to delude myself into thinking he was on the brink of something special.

I don’t get our fans. We wanted to keep a manager at the club who had more than enough time to make something happen but didn’t. Then the man who replaces him does a fantastic job, but a couple of poor months and these same fans who thought the Clough sacking was harsh want Mac to **** off. One rule for one person, one rule for another. 

We’ve had two largely successful seasons under Mac. I’ll never forget that Brighton away leg in the PO Semi’s, we were brilliant, best football I’ve ever seen us play. Give him some more time and lets see if he can get us back to that. If not then yes his time is probably up, but I’ll wish him all the best, just like I did with Clough!

​Well never now i guess, but I do know that our best performances came with Cloughs players as the nucleus of the team. When McClaren, for whatever reason, elected to tinker and sign a succession of loan players we went backwards rapidly.

Was this McClaren's choice or was working on the orders Rush?

I honestly believe we are now in a worse state than when Clough was sacked.

​I like it, it is a very good setup.

And Butland was Steele's call so everyone does their bit.

Archived