Why do people care if McClaren is here next season?

Albert

I'm am actually hugely surprised that this speculation has continued to fester, and by the looks of it, somewhat poisoned the atmosphere at the Q&A. Why does everyone care so much, why is it such a big deal where McClaren is next season? What is it that people are so worried about? 

This might sound a bit odd to those same people, but why does it matter where he is next season, when we know for a fact that he'll be here until our season ends. That is what matters right now. If he stays, if he goes, who's getting his patio furniture... it's all beyond what matters now, it's irrelevant to the entire point. The entire point, the entirely aim of this entire season was to finish the job. The management and McClaren set the team up for it, and despite what can only be said was a horror run with injuries and form, we are still in with a chance to do exactly that. They came back to finish the job, but it seems that so many so called fans are so preoccupied with something that at this point is entirely academic, that they've forgotten where such distractions tend to end up, and they've forgotten that the core of the matter is that McClaren is still here, and will still be here to finish the job, as will the squad. 

Barely anyone seems all that concerned that Omar, Bent, Ince and Lingard aren't going to be here any longer than the end of the season unless there is another transfer in the works, and Whitbread and Eustace are unlikely to be here next season (contract length). But we're not talking about the playing staff, the ones that are doing it out there on the pitch. We're talking about the manager, the same manager who is confirmed to still be here right now. 

To be honest I wouldn't even care if it were confirmed that he was going, I would care if ask if he turned bright red and stuttered out "I... I cannot comment on my precontract with Newcast... I mean, I cannot comment on such unfounded speculation". It's irrelevant, his being here or not next season isn't what should matter when we're gunning for Wembley. We should be talking about which side we're going to be facing in the Playoffs, we should be talking about whether or not Thorne and Martin will be fit and ready. We should even be talking about our form against the teams we're likely to face (for the record, 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses against the teams above us, 2 wins 2 draws and 2 losses against the teams below us who still have a chance. The only teams we'd have "lost to" on aggregate are Middlesbrough and Brentford, and we'd have draw with Norwich based on this seasons results. We beat Watford, Bournemouth, Ipswich and Wolves). But we're not, we're stuck between "is McClaren going, I heard he coughed and it sounded like `I've already signed for Newcastle on a 5 year deal'" and "who should replace him". 

If he goes, he goes, but we can deal with that once our promotion push is over. There is a job to finish, and there's no need worrying about things beyond it, at least on our side, until that time. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People like to be right, especially when they are passing on information. That's the case even if the information they are passing on is a load of old sausage. The reason they have accepted it in the first place is perhaps that they have been told it over and over again, often via the internet, but an avalanche of information which has all emanated from the same source is only as trustworthy as that initial source.

What gets me is the prunes who then dress up this information as 'ITK'. Why do people have to elaborate and embellish? The Bucko 'story' is a prime example of that - utter garbage spouted by insecure idiots who just seem to be seeking attention.

Now I've got that load of nonsense off my chest, I will back the manager 100% while he is here, then when he is replaced (for whatever reason), I'll have a couple of hours sulking about it then back the next person 100%. It doesn't matter overmuch to me - I'll go and shout my lungs out whenever Derby are playing win, lose or draw. Part of getting old, I suppose.

That's more or less what McClaren said last night, Albert, - he's concentrating on the job in hand. I don't think it poisoned the atmosphere at the Q&A and most of the twittering about it (deliberate pun) has come from uninformed people who weren't there repeating what they didn't hear in the first place. I'm particularly disappointed with the Derby Telegraph - they should know better, imo.

That's more or less what McClaren said last night, Albert, - he's concentrating on the job in hand. I don't think it poisoned the atmosphere at the Q&A and most of the twittering about it (deliberate pun) has come from uninformed people who weren't there repeating what they didn't hear in the first place. I'm particularly disappointed with the Derby Telegraph - they should know better, imo.

What did they do?​

It's because he has been a key part of us stepping things up post-Clough.  Over the course of the season, we have challenged for the top two.  I think the thought of SM leaving is also twinned with the fact that we might slip and slide back where we once were.  In my opinion, that would be unfounded.  In the same manner in which Steve has been backed, I think a replacement for him would receive equal backing and we are now a lucrative job for a manager (style of play, fan base, training facilities, academy etc).  There should be no fear, if Steve goes then Sam Rush - the one we should all fear leaving us - will find the next Steve McClaren, perhaps better.. 

Some people seem to forget there's a lot of crap managers out there. if we ain't happy with what MacClaren has done for us I wonder what people really want. He won't be easy to replace if its a good manager we want.

I agree with you Albert, but for me, if we're discussing it, I'll make my opinion heard.

But I'd like nothing better than for everyone to focus on the last two games and the playoffs. If we can all agree to do that, I'm well on board. 

Stability.

​Stability is more than just having the same person at the helm for the most years, it's equally about all parts pulling in the same direction, and not losing their heads over what they'll wear on Monday when they need to get ready for work Friday morning. 

If this were past the end of the season, fine, speculate away, there's not much else to do at that point, but we are literally staring down the battle of an extremely tight playoff battle, if that, and all people seem to care about is whether or not McClaren will still be here next season. Yes, his tenure to this point has been a good one, but that all means naught if he leaves come the start of June, and we've still in this division.

Put it to the back of the mind, and look at what's in front of this. There's a time for all this, but it's not now, and if anything constant speculation, concern and at times negativity about McClaren isn't helping anything. 

What gets me is the prunes who then dress up this information as 'ITK'. Why do people have to elaborate and embellish? The Bucko 'story' is a prime example of that - utter garbage spouted by insecure idiots who just seem to be seeking attention.

For what it’s worth Eddie I was the originator of the “Coffee Cup “post in relation to Buxton.

Utter Garbage - Well let’s wait and see what come out in the wash shall we?

Insecure idiot – Brave behind the keyboard aren’t we Eddie? Now if you knew me.....

Seeking attention. – Working nicely towards 14K posts I notice, and I’m seeking attention? With the volume of traffic I lament the quality of your life.

He could have said i"m extremely happy at derby county, i have a contract for another 2 years, and my focus is entirely on derby county ". That might have sufficed, instead of the " i'm not looking beyond the end of this season" which implies an invitation to talk in the summer. Furthermore he should be focussed on the job here beyond the end of the season. Eric steele added fuel to the fire if the comments attributed to him are true. 

unfortunately for schteve, newcastle is probably the right club, with the wrong owner, at the wrong time.

If the geordies are to be believed then ashley and co treat their managers and coaches with contempt, and treat newcastle united as a cash cow. Perhaps he should ask Kevin keegan or chris hughton what they think of the regime.

it is own prolonged prevarication which has caused all the speculation. 

For what it’s worth Eddie I was the originator of the “Coffee Cup “post in relation to Buxton.

Insecure idiot – Brave behind the keyboard aren’t we Eddie? Now if you knew me.....

Seeking attention. – Working nicely towards 14K posts I notice, and I’m seeking attention? With the volume of traffic I lament the quality of your life.

​Is that a threat?

It certainly comes across like it.

Latte or Americano?

​I'm sorry, you must think me awfully rude for only replying to part of your post. Regarding my post count, My Grandmother, over half a century ago, said "If you have nothing to say that is worth saying, say nothing."

I notice that you have amassed the princely total of 106 in four and a half years. Obviously you heeded her sound advice.

;)

Archived