1st thread in Newcaske ale talk was Clough overrated

Curtains

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

Nigel left Saul Deeney 

Mac has got Roos in who is the future better prospect. 

Clough left Ben Davies we now have Santos and Calero and look at the U21s now since Clough left they are so much better. .

When did Clough get us near the playoffs at Derby ! 

Nigel Clough was the Doctor that saved Derby County and prescribed the recovery treatment. 

Now we have been discharged from hospital, we are not poorly anymore.

Listen to some fans and you don't get that opinion I promise you. 

Nigel left Saul Deeney 

Mac has got Roos in who is the future better prospect. 

Clough left Ben Davies we now have Santos and Calero and look at the U21s now since Clough left they are so much better. .

When did Clough get us near the playoffs at Derby ! 

​You seem to have forgotten that Clough left the majority of the permanent staff in the first team squad, most of whom McClaren rated so much he gave them extended contracts. I don't understand why you are bringing up this Clough thing yet again.

​You seem to have forgotten that Clough left the majority of the permanent staff in the first team squad, most of whom McClaren rated so much he gave them extended contracts. I don't understand why you are bringing up this Clough thing yet again.

Because I think some fans should appreciate McClaren more than they do 

Hes doing a good job at Derby .

30,000 plus home gates every week is remarkable since McClaren arrived and playoffs to look forward too. 

No; Clough was not overrated. 

The team that got us into the play-offs pretty much was the side he had put together on an average Championship side budget. 

Clough had his downsides, as does McClaren, but I think the big factor behind Clough was that we were always trying to get promoted the Blackpool, Hull and to a point even Swansea way. A good success story but a rarity. Wisdom, Bent and Ince in particular wouldn't have been signed under Clough - no way, no how. 

However, I doubt Clough would have even entertained the thought of Leon Best. I guess it swings and roundabouts. 

If I had to rate each manager in their time here. I would say McClaren an eight and Clough a six.

The team that got us into the play-offs pretty much was the side he had put together on an average Championship side budget. 

Clough had his downsides, as does McClaren, but I think the big factor behind Clough was that we were always trying to get promoted the Blackpool, Hull and to a point even Swansea way. A good success story but a rarity. Wisdom, Bent and Ince in particular wouldn't have been signed under Clough - no way, no how. 

However, I doubt Clough would have even entertained the thought of Leon Best. I guess it swings and roundabouts. 

If I had to rate each manager in their time here. I would say McClaren an eight and Clough a six.

​What are you trying to say? 

I hope you're not suggesting something that would get Jason Roberts and Sol Campbell all worked up! 

​What are you trying to say? 

I hope you're not suggesting something that would get Jason Roberts and Sol Campbell all worked up! 

:lol:

I purely meant relatively high profile players on big wages. I guess there is also that other rumour, too, that could have come into it as well. 

When considering Clough's time at Derby, I ask - could we have had 4-5-6 managers in that time? Undoubtedly.

Would any of those have done any better? possibly Done worse? Probably.

He did OK. Was an risky appointment, no doubt his name was a factor and he didn't do what armchair managers would have wanted. But he did OK results wise whilst the club were happy enough to just stay in the division and get the budget nearer to reality (people always moaned about the money - but forgot the owners spunked loads on Jewell's signings and were understandably shy). He did the job that was needed and I don't think that under the circumstances we'd have done an awful lot better with others and benefited from stability. The stability turned to apathy and boredom and when we looked nice but toothless in the games before McClaren came in it seemed things might be running out for him - I know folks think it was knee jerk to the forest defeat, but I think it had been coming for a few weeks TBH.

I think Nigel developed at lot in his time at Derby and would regard him as competent championship manager, no more, but with a special note that if you need an extended tight budget rebiuld he's good for that job. Impact or mould a play off squad, perhaps less.  He did well with the academy and getting in good characters who wanted to play for cause, but also brought in some not good enough players.

For saying all that, there were some truly depressing times along the way, some awful performances, shocking tactics and substitutions, strange behaviour (kneeing billy davies, slating the squad in public, "wherever he came from" remarks).

Is he overrated? By some certainly, by a lot he's wildly underrated. I also think McCaren would never have taken the job and never lasted in the circumstances Clough was working under. I mean, check out his record at Forest for how to not turn around a she ite team.

PS> the Wisdom, Bent, Ince remarks are due to McClaren and Cloughs coaching reputation. and I don't think any of us would have thought "Leon Best on loan, there's a signing" would we? would we???

Not getting at you but you have been quite dismissive of McClaren recently regarding his coaching of Derbys defense am I right particularly after Huddersfield.

Not getting at you but you have been quite dismissive of McClaren recently regarding his coaching of Derbys defense am I right particularly after Huddersfield.

​I'm not at all dismissive of McClaren's coaching - I have no idea where you got that from. 

I'm just not scared to say that he has his faults, as does every manager and even me. He's done a great job here and I'd be gutted to see him leave, but I don't doubt that we could bring in somebody better. 

It has nothing to do with Clough's rating or otherwise. I just think Clough was under-valued by some. 

You've seen it yourself, though, some Derby fans even want McClaren out for not finishing in the automatic promotion places so who actually stands a chance here? It's human nature to want more. I'd argue that if McClaren had us in 13th position in the Championship next Christmas that the majority would be calling for his head. 

Because I think some fans should appreciate McClaren more than they do 

Hes doing a good job at Derby .

30,000 plus home gates every week is remarkable since McClaren arrived and playoffs to look forward too. 

​It doesn't have to be either or!! Clough did a sound job starting from a difficult base. McClaren has come in and taken the role on from a much healthier place and improved the team further. Both have their faults, both have their positives. Both seem to receive a lot of respect from the players under them and that is the most important thing to them, certainly not what a bunch of halfwits write on here or shout out from the crowd.

Archived