Is Steve Mac positioning himself for the Newcastle job?

Orphanram

I think the moaning is on a sliding scale around the ground, if you think the moans and groans in the south stand are bad then any experience in the West stand would want to make you take the next flight to Syria.

If I was a Player I think I maybe be more generally accepting of the South Stand groaning from time to time as that is generally the area of the ground where the vocal support is coming from. I took my daughter to her first game against Birmingham recently and I could only get tickets to sit together in the West Stand and even when we were 2-0 up I was surrounded by pensioners going apoplectic when the ball went out for a throw in. The most noticeable support given was a flimsy light hand clap every now and then. Given that this is the side of the dug out and Steves 'up high' position, his perspective  might be that most of our home fans must be like this.

I understand not every one is going to Jump and Bounce but if the energy that goes into some of abuse and rage is transferred into something more positive just some of the time that might be a good thing

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what would you like to happen? What is your solution?

Injuries effect results. That's true of any club. 

I don't see how last season was failure. Was going from 5 years of bottom half to 3rd and Wembley and only knocked out the Cup to Chelsea really failure? 

Why is our team better than Midtable by nature? Grant, Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Russell, Ince, Ward, Dawkins, Thorne... what level have these players performed at? Most of them were playing midtable in the Champ when Mac got here. 2 of them have been relegated from the Champ.

I don't think it's ok to say "well everyone has **** fans". If that's how people think then fair enough. 

Personally I ever think like that. I'm not going to think "well, loads of girls are sleeping around on weekends so it's no problem if my daughters do it" or "Everyone was looting Tottenham so I might as well join in".

Maybe the Derby players think "well every club had ***** results..." 

Why is conceding 4 at Huddersfield a problem. Would 0-0 be better? 

​When you get this many injuries, it's not just bad luck. It's something in the training and preparation that needs addressing.

Last season was a failure as defined by the Head Coach. He called it failure, not me.

Those players have performed to a lower Premier League level most of the time, doesn't matter what came before, they're good enough and you know it.

I'm not saying it's okay that everyone has **** fans, I hate the **** I hear in the ground. Our fans going silent when the players need them most... It's just no excuse for the players or the staff, how can it be an excuse?

Conceding 4 at Huddersfield- It's not a problem if you win the game, or even look like winning it. I'm all for attacking football because conceding however many doesn't matter as long as you win the points. I'm okay with that plan going wrong from time to time like against Birmingham 3-3. As long as you're looking like winning the bloody thing and we didn't look like we could have won against Huddersfield.

I see us has the Liverpool of the championship, no not like that :ph34r:

we have Brendan rogers had a great playing style last year and unlucky not to win the league, he sold suarez and they bought big in the summer and have come back this year and the expectation is huge, he tried playing the same way as last year, expansive dynamic football, didn't work, they needed the target man (suarez), so changed the style in which they play, Brendan got on top of it and started playing well and then came the contract row with sterling, and smoking with Jordon ibe, it is that fickle, the slightest thing derails the season.

we have the same turn of events, martins injury (suarez), the talk about the club (mac leaving), lets hope the trip to Spain does them good.

The club is all about commitment. The club are asking for commitment from the fans, and the fans are asking for commitment from the players. As much as SM can make sly digs at the fans, 30k still turn up on a Tuesday night to play against an already relegated team, when autos are way out of sight. I would class that as commitment. 

Is the commitment there from the players? I'm not convinced. Bryson can shush the South Stand as much as he wants but he has been poor all season and one 20 yard bobbler isn't going to change that. 

I think that McClarens flirting with Newcastle has lead to a lack of commitment from the players. Why would you buy in to a clubs future when the leader isn't even buying into it himself?

If my Mrs got wind that there was something going on between me and another lass, and when she probed me about it, I didn't deny it but simply said "This year I am committed to this relationship", I think the relationship might just be on it's arse. 

Why not simply say "No. I love you, not that fat Geordie lass, and I am going ******* nowhere. I am in this for the long haul". Problem solved. 

The club is all about commitment. The club are asking for commitment from the fans, and the fans are asking for commitment from the players. As much as SM can make sly digs at the fans, 30k still turn up on a Tuesday night to play against an already relegated team, when autos are way out of sight. I would class that as commitment. 

Is the commitment there from the players? I'm not convinced. Bryson can shush the South Stand as much as he wants but he has been poor all season and one 20 yard bobbler isn't going to change that. 

I think that McClarens flirting with Newcastle has lead to a lack of commitment from the players. Why would you buy in to a clubs future when the leader isn't even buying into it himself?

If my Mrs got wind that there was something going on between me and another lass, and when she probed me about it, I didn't deny it but simply said "This year I am committed to this relationship", I think the relationship might just be on it's arse. 

Why not simply say "No. I love you, not that fat Geordie lass, and I am going ******* nowhere. I am in this for the long haul". Problem solved. 

​You are making things up . Give a real example of MacClaren having a dig at the fans if you can...... I will not hold my breath cos all MacClarens public statements and actions to the fans have been to praise them, If he has omitted to include fans in the list of people who have stuck together then that might be deliberate or it may be accidental.

What you and many on here can't deny is that if he had read some of your posts he could rightly conclude that you are ready to make things up or pass on unsubstantiated gossip. 

Your comments above about Mac's flirting with Newcastle leading to lack of commitment from the players is unsubstantiated drivel. If you have been at recent away matches you will have seen plenty of evidence of unity and commitment from the players. 

The mistakes come from lack of confidence and lack of ability from the players. Lets face it we have had a tendency to collapse for a long time - remember B'ham away last year. perhaps criticise Mac for not getting the team to be better defensively but then we might lose our goals scored. With the number of injuries we have had recently Mac's scope to change things has been limited. If Russell was not play up front when Bent and Martin were out who else exactly?

​You are making things up . Give a real example of MacClaren having a dig at the fans if you can...... I will not hold my breath cos all MacClarens public statements and actions to the fans have been to praise them, If he has omitted to include fans in the list of people who have stuck together then that might be deliberate or it may be accidental.

What you and many on here can't deny is that if he had read some of your posts he could rightly conclude that you are ready to make things up or pass on unsubstantiated gossip

Your comments above about Mac's flirting with Newcastle leading to lack of commitment from the players is unsubstantiated drivel. If you have been at recent away matches you will have seen plenty of evidence of unity and commitment from the players. 

The mistakes come from lack of confidence and lack of ability from the players. Lets face it we have had a tendency to collapse for a long time - remember B'ham away last year. perhaps criticise Mac for not getting the team to be better defensively but then we might lose our goals scored. With the number of injuries we have had recently Mac's scope to change things has been limited. If Russell was not play up front when Bent and Martin were out who else exactly?

​1. The OP eluded to that fact. That's what I was referring to. 

2. Give me an example of one thing I have made up? Also, it's a football forum mate. Take away "Unsubstantiated gossip" and you'll have a forum with about a million less posts.  

3. Because you don't agree with that opinion. Luckily I have a mind of my own, and don't feel the need to ask your permission to have that opinion. 

4. No problem playing Russell up top. My problem is playing a 5 foot nothing, behind the back four pacey striker, as a holding forward, and lumping balls 2 foot over his head. My problem is that the tactics were not changed to get the best out of the fit players we had. Instead we tried to play with Martin, but without Martin. 

Presumably you didn't sign a contract with your Mrs when you entered the relationship, with set goals after certain (excuse me) periods? And an agreement that if something else comes along then you're allowed to talk it through with her and consider it? 

The analogy you provided is as speculative and irrelevant as McClaren described the newspaper rumours. 

Also how has the OP hasn't 'eluded to the fact' when there is no fact to elude to? 

Presumably you didn't sign a contract with your Mrs when you entered the relationship, with set goals after certain (excuse me) periods? And an agreement that if something else comes along then you're allowed to talk it through with her and consider it? 

The analogy you provided is as speculative and irrelevant as McClaren described the newspaper rumours. 

Also how has the OP hasn't 'eluded to the fact' when there is no fact to elude to? 

​Ok, the OP alluded to the 'possibility' that having said all three need to pull together, then saying that 2 out of the three had, that he was questioning the fans commitment. Phew. 

It is all speculative until he goes or doesn't. That's why we are discussing it on a football forum, and not reporting it on Sky News. 

​1. The OP eluded to that fact. That's what I was referring to. 

2. Give me an example of one thing I have made up? Also, it's a football forum mate. Take away "Unsubstantiated gossip" and you'll have a forum with about a million less posts.  

3. Because you don't agree with that opinion. Luckily I have a mind of my own, and don't feel the need to ask your permission to have that opinion. 

4. No problem playing Russell up top. My problem is playing a 5 foot nothing, behind the back four pacey striker, as a holding forward, and lumping balls 2 foot over his head. My problem is that the tactics were not changed to get the best out of the fit players we had. Instead we tried to play with Martin, but without Martin. 

​So you can't actually give an example of MacClaren having a dig at fans? Making things up ...... yes.

​So you can't actually give an example of MacClaren having a dig at fans? Making things up ...... yes.

​try reading the article. They might be too subtle for you, but there's plenty of unveiled comments about pulling together, blame, fault finding etc.

Whilst I don't like booing myself,I don't think  Mac helped himself when talking of fans' frustration after the Brentford game and admitting he would have been booing himself (presumably if he'd been a fan,rather than coach).

Archived