Daily Star Exclusive: McClaren will join Newcastle this summer on one condition

Ambitious

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/437602/EXCLUSIVE-Steve-McClaren-set-named-Newcastle-boss-fails-promote-Derby

It's impossible to copy and paste without it coming up in a daft, random, font. HOWEVER, it just explains that should we stay down that McClaren will 'walk out on the Rams' as he has his 'heart set on' bossing Newcastle. 

An interesting part for me was ''a huge rebuilding job'' at Newcastle. 

I don't quite think McClaren is a 'huge rebuilding job' type of manager. It's a lot of work to take on for a guy who is predominantly a coach, in my humble opinion. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe i'm just being stubborn but this makes no sense to me, unless Steve figures on retiring after

a well paid stint at Newcastle.  Really?  That's a bit like a sailor that stops sailing for a regular life

that he knows nothing about or a career musician that says he's sick of the business. 

They often go right back in it, the first opportunity they get because it's in their blood.

i could understand it if it was a stable club like Everton or Spurs but freaking Newcastle?

My uncle supports Newcastle and he's annoying enough already.

That he prefers to take us up is a plus i guess, not that it's looking very likely at the moment,

but silly me i was expecting him to stick with us irrespective of how this season goes.

No no no, i am going to continue being in denial, this is not happening this is not happening,

this is......

Besides, i like my avatar, i have a relationship with my avatar.

Rumour or not this really annoys me. We were sailing into the Prem before he pot tapped up by Newcastle and injuries aside, it has clearly derailed our season and caused unrest in the camp. Its like he now wants us to fail so he can go. I  want him gone now anyway. I actually thought he was better than that. Stupid also as who wants to manage that road crash...

But Ashley is refusing to sell-up and believes McClaren, 53, is the man to bring some stability and success to the troubled outfit.

Fans are fuming at Ashley's running of the club and a section of them boycotted Sunday's home defeat to Tottenham.

Carver's men have won just once since the start of February and the North East outfit are in total turmoil.

The Magpies have endured a miserable second half of the season and six straight defeats have left them just seven points above the drop zone.

But McClaren has refused quash rumours he is wanted at St James' Park, where he would face a huge rebuilding job.

The Rams have not received a direct approach from the Magpies about McClaren, who remains focused on attempting to get the Rams back into the top flight.

He put pen-to-paper on a three year deal in August which included a 'significant' compensation clause, according to sources.

The former Manchester United assistant signed a new deal with the Rams at the start of this season.

It is understood billionaire businessman Ashley will have to fork out around £2m in compensation to land McClaren.

McClaren is a close friend of Magpies chief scout Graham Carr who, along with managing director Lee Charnley, has been charged with finding the next head coach.

But Carver has been keeping the seat warm for McClaren, with Ashley convinced the former England boss is the man to lead his team out of the doldrums.

John Carver became caretaker-boss of the Magpies in January when Alan Pardew quit to join Crystal Palace.

The Rams are currently in fifth place in the Championship with two games remaining and are expected to make the play-offs.

Starsport understands it all hinges on what happens at the iPro Stadium between now and the end of the season.

It is understood McClaren has set his heart on bossing the troubled club and will walk out on the Rams if he can't lead them into the Premier League.

Controversial Magpies owner Mike Ashley made McClaren his No.1 choice to take charge six months ago and is confident of landing his man.

Amachur ;)

Wouldn't really call it a exclusive as papers have been saying this for weeks/months. Unless they REALLY now it will happen.

I still think somethings happened behind the scenes as since these rumours came out we just went into free fall. As long as we have a decent manager to replace someone who is positive and got some scouting outside of England.

Exclusive means the paper has it's own inside story on it - luckily it's the Daily Star who when it comes to rumours are about as reliable as a wet paper bag.

If it was the Daily Mail or the Telegraph I might take it a little more seriously.

The Daily Star are also covering plenty of Sterling stories too. If it was all true, he'd have signed for Real Madrid last year or failing that he'll end up at Manchester United this summer

When you say derailed our season, I personally don't buy that.  He is still going to work, coaching a group of professional players and doing his job.  He's not Skyping the Newcastle game whilst we're playing Brentford.  

If anything, it is down to injuries and a dip in form (for this, you may look to point the finger, but not because of the Newcastle link).  Nothing more, in my opinion.  

Wouldn't really call it a exclusive as papers have been saying this for weeks/months. Unless they REALLY now it will happen.

I still think somethings happened behind the scenes as since these rumours came out we just went into free fall. As long as we have a decent manager to replace someone who is positive and got some scouting outside of England.

​So injuries are not are more plausible reason for our free fall? ( and the fallibility of some of our players?)

On many messageboards fans are claiming to have heard something .... like 'it's a done deal', 'a friend has been told by George Thorne' . Many of these stories are just contradictory. The same inconsistencies in the stories in different papers.

Who knows what the truth is but the willingness of some Rams fans to accept and grow these rumours is pathetic.

I wonder if a stipulation laid down by Ashley (if of course there is any substance to this latest report) that McClaren has to have Carver as his assistant, or whether he'll be able to name his own assistants.

And if indeed he does take over, what odds would I get on his opening statement being along the lines of "This is a great club, the only one I would have left my previous club for" :rolleyes:

Archived