Odds on the next Derby County manager

Ambitious

My friend who supports Norwich said Lambert got them playing great football in their back to back promotions and in their first year in the prem. His stock has gone down slightly with his dull football at Villa but he wouldn't be the worst man to take over in my opinion. But like others have said I don't think Stevie Mac will leave to be honest. Newcastle are a club in disarray to be honest, the fans hate the board and will therefore probably hate pretty much anyone Ashley appoints except maybe Alan Shearer. Ashley doesn't give his managers any money, a string of about 5 defeats will see the fans wanting Mac out.

I think he would be stupid to leave Derby without actually getting us promoted, no one really took him seriously in England until he did wonders with us last season. All of a sudden everyone is kinda coming back round to the fact that maybe Steve McClaren is a great head coach. But if he leaves us without us getting promoted, things go south in the first few months at Newcastle, he will be deemed a failure once again and he will more than likely never get given another chance at a club as good as us.

Everyone can go on about how big a club Newcastle is, but if he gets us promoted this season or next, on the current situations of both clubs Derby in the premier league wouldn't be that much of a step down from managing a mid table Newcastle team with no money and under ashley no aspirations.

Derby are clearly at the moment with Sam Rush and the board, a club with aspirations, who I am sure will back McClaren if we go up, not with 100 million but with enough to let him get the players in he thinks we need. We will go back to getting 33,000 every week and if we continue to grow and stay in the premier league there is no reason why we can't extend the stadium further down the line. Newcastle is a club of uncertainty, Derby is a club of stability. If McClaren is looking for one last big pay check then he will go, but I was under the impression from everything he has said that he came to Derby "to build something special" why walk out on that when its not even done. He has the chance to really build himself to be a legend at Derby why become another nobody in a list of nobodies that have managed Newcastle over the past decade. 

If he goes there and wins the premier league, I never said any of this :lol: 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'd rather have Mac than Dyche. You can measure achievements however you like. I think the last couple of years have bee  rather good and I don't see how Dyche has shown he's better. With finishing second with poor ickle Burnley?

What about Aidy Bothroyd ?  He got Watford up. 

Unless McClaren achieves promotion here then you can't possibly say he's done a better job than what Dyche has done at Burnley - especially if he keeps them up. 

Regardless of their playing style or anything else, he's done exactly what McClaren has been trying to do on tighter restrictions. 

I don't want McClaren to leave but I think Dyche would be a good replacement if he was. I also think Warburton would be a good replacement. It's impossible to tell until they're here doing the business - or not. 

My friend who supports Norwich said Lambert got them playing great football in their back to back promotions and in their first year in the prem. His stock has gone down slightly with his dull football at Villa but he wouldn't be the worst man to take over in my opinion. But like others have said I don't think Stevie Mac will leave to be honest. Newcastle are a club in disarray to be honest, the fans hate the board and will therefore probably hate pretty much anyone Ashley appoints except maybe Alan Shearer. Ashley doesn't give his managers any money, a string of about 5 defeats will see the fans wanting Mac out.

I think he would be stupid to leave Derby without actually getting us promoted, no one really took him seriously in England until he did wonders with us last season. All of a sudden everyone is kinda coming back round to the fact that maybe Steve McClaren is a great head coach. But if he leaves us without us getting promoted, things go south in the first few months at Newcastle, he will be deemed a failure once again and he will more than likely never get given another chance at a club as good as us.

Everyone can go on about how big a club Newcastle is, but if he gets us promoted this season or next, on the current situations of both clubs Derby in the premier league wouldn't be that much of a step down from managing a mid table Newcastle team with no money and under ashley no aspirations.

Derby are clearly at the moment with Sam Rush and the board, a club with aspirations, who I am sure will back McClaren if we go up, not with 100 million but with enough to let him get the players in he thinks we need. We will go back to getting 33,000 every week and if we continue to grow and stay in the premier league there is no reason why we can't extend the stadium further down the line. Newcastle is a club of uncertainty, Derby is a club of stability. If McClaren is looking for one last big pay check then he will go, but I was under the impression from everything he has said that he came to Derby "to build something special" why walk out on that when its not even done. He has the chance to really build himself to be a legend at Derby why become another nobody in a list of nobodies that have managed Newcastle over the past decade. 

If he goes there and wins the premier league, I never said any of this :lol: 

​Someone print this off and send him to Moor Farm with Steve McClaren's name on the envelope. If he needs any more reasons not to leave then I'd be surprised.

If we don't go up then why would Newcastle want him? He's taken a 3rd placed squad and got us a worse finishing position. Go on Mike, pick someone else. Harry Redknapp's knee has healed by now surely?

And out of curiosity, is this a market for the next Derby County manager or our manager for 15/16? It would be interesting to see what the odds would be on Steve Mac if it was the latter.

And for the next DCFC manager, lump on Will Hughes. I'm ITK so I know that in 15 years after Mac emotionally retires, Will Hughes who will have just retired from football aged 35 will take over to lead us in to our 10th consecutive Champions League season.

FACT

​Someone print this off and send him to Moor Farm with Steve McClaren's name on the envelope. If he needs any more reasons not to leave then I'd be surprised.

If we don't go up then why would Newcastle want him? He's taken a 3rd placed squad and got us a worse finishing position. Go on Mike, pick someone else. Harry Redknapp's knee has healed by now surely?

​Ah don't worry no one needs to print it off, ive spent 3 weeks outside moor farm and the ipro screaming this and crying. They finally put out a restraining order against me, im not allowed within 200 yards of the stadium or the training ground. But they forgot I can still drive next to the team coach mwhahahahah

​McClaren was a failed manager, though. A football manager is a bizarre thing. It's almost impossible to predict who will do well and why. 

It depends on the players already there, the personality clashes and what kind of manager is needed for the job. 

I have reservations about picking a plucky manager who has 'done well with what he's had' and picking one that's failed in a past job. However, to get one that hasn't done at least one of those things at our level is almost impossible. 

​Good point.  I have a theory, that I have never found anyone to agree with me on!  I think a managers' impact on a clubs performance (short to mid term) is vastly overrated.  If a club is well run it is far easier to do well than a club that is badly run - the manager has little impact over that.  A well run club will have stability, a good youth set up, revenue streams, playing philosophy, progressive non-footballing staff amongst other things.  This must be why a manager can 'fail' at one club and 'thrive' at another.  Obviously the footballing side is important and the yardstick by which the whole club is judged and there is a point where a manager becomes the DNA of the club - like Ferguson did at Man Utd and Wenger has at Arsenal.

Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted. They were 16th when he took over. Holloway got Blackpool up.

He's won 38% at both his jobs. He's going to get relegated.  He plays ugly football. 

They're Burnley not The Mundy Arms. 

Owen Coyle!!! Brian McDermott has a higher win percentage at Reading than Dyche has had anywhere.

People turn their noses up at Holloway and Warnock... They've pissed all over Dyche. Warnock multiple times. 

Newspapers hype Dyche and everyone buys into it. Look for yourselves. Ugly losing football. 

Winning promotion with Burnley isn't a sign that Jesus is born. He owes most of that to an incredible start and then they saw it out. Like a good version of Pearce.

I'm not saying he's pants. I'm saying there's no reason to be up his ****other than because a newspaper tells us he's good.

A newspaper would say Redknapp is better than AVB.

He picked a shoddy Watford side and won 38% of the games and since then they've managed fine without him. He basically did what Nigel did here but it was a smaller job. I think Zola took them up a level? Where are the people up his arse?

He then achieved promotion with Burnley like Owen Coyle did when he took them from 16th to the PL. 

He did it playing a different style to everything that is in place here. 

Why no calls for Coyle or Holloway. Why do people turn their noses up at Warnock? 

It was only after Dyche was let go that Watford started loaning half the Udinese squad and actually investing in the team. There was a massive difference in what Dyche had to work with and what Zola and those that followed have been working with.

I don't think it's at all fair to claim Burnley played ugly football last season. It wasn't as good as some of the stuff we played, but it's not as if they played like a Billy Davies team.

Like I say, don't get why his hype is higher than Mick McCarthy or Kenny Jackett or the bloke at Watford 

​Key difference between Warburton and the others is the style of play that Brentford have. It's not rush football, or percentage football with big strikers.

They get the basics right, and they play quick, short passing but with real purpose in the final third. They create so many chances, have so many shots - it's a brilliant way of playing.

I don't know the ins and outs of their signings, but the players who have come in under Warburton have taken them on to another level. The likes of Jota, Toral and Pritchard are simply stunning signings at this level.

As far as gambles go, he's certainly worth it IF McClaren leaves.

​Key difference between Warburton and the others is the style of play that Brentford have. It's not rush football, or percentage football with big strikers.

They get the basics right, and they play quick, short passing but with real purpose in the final third. They create so many chances, have so many shots - it's a brilliant way of playing.

I don't know the ins and outs of their signings, but the players who have come in under Warburton have taken them on to another level. The likes of Jota, Toral and Pritchard are simply stunning signings at this level.

As far as gambles go, he's certainly worth it IF McClaren leaves.

​Exactly this.

Warburton seems a class act to me. Way he talks, the way he's worked himself up, his previous employment, the way his Brentford team play football. 

His team also play different football to a Rosler team, so it's very unfair to just say he's carried on that work.

Comparing him to some dinasour, journeyman manager is ridiculous. 

Archived