Tom Ince is as good as James Rodriguez

David

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting people are saying to say it how it's spelt rather than how he himself would pronounce it.

Does that mean it's Darby to those people from Derby but should be Derby to those that aren't or should everyone say it like we pronounce it?

For me I believe the respectful thing to do is say it how they say it and spell it how they spell it.

But I also don't understand why countries are forced to represent themselves using their English names in the world cup and we could at least say the Netherlands rather than Holland! (which I've heard is offensive to the Dutch outside of North or South Holland). Imagine seeing England referred to as Yorkshire for international football...

It's interesting people are saying to say it how it's spelt rather than how he himself would pronounce it.

Does that mean it's Darby to those people from Derby but should be Derby to those that aren't or should everyone say it like we pronounce it?

For me I believe the respectful thing to do is say it how they say it and spell it how they spell it.

But I also don't understand why countries are forced to represent themselves using their English names in the world cup and we could at least say the Netherlands rather than Holland! (which I've heard is offensive to the Dutch outside of North or South Holland). Imagine seeing England referred to as Yorkshire for international football...

May be getting a bit deep but I think this is quite indicative of a culture that hates itself when it should actually elevate itself.

But you're right. I'm now going to start calling France Francais and if I hear any French people calling England Anglaterre then they'll be for it.

Foreign people pronounce words differently and have their own unique way of saying things. In order for us to develop some kind of cultured multi-dialect incorporating every country on the globe should we also not be demanding that others show us the same level of respect? Or more simply, we could acknowledge that there's nothing disrespectful about talking in your own accent, dialect or language. 

In this part of the world it's James not Hames. If I was his mate it would be different but I'm not - so it's James. Just as I'm called Danielle rather than Daniel in Colombia. And I honestly don't care. And neither do they I'm sure. Cultural relativism is garbage anyway but even if it were to work then surely everybody needs to get involved?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived