Derby County fans online behind a username

David

This season our own online fans and I'm saying online because I'm hoping that's all it is, online behind a screen, behind a username fans have had me shaking my head at times, on this forum and on twitter.

The first is this whole plastic, half fan mocking of other fans, you know who you are, the season ticket holders, the fans that attend every away game thinking they are more of a fan than others. The ones that have no financial commitments, no family, now working restrictions that get in the way of attending games. 

Do you think you are some how more of a fan really? do you really care more about the club, do results effect you more than those with a family and unable to attend games? Is your opinion really more valid than others sat at home trying their best to follow the game through streams or on the radio?

I've not had a sense of humour bypass, I'm aware at times it's used as "banter" but others not so, and long time members will be aware I've talked about this many a time and it's my weak point if you are looking for a reaction and yes, something has just triggered this whole topic.

I'm going to be honest with you and this may comes as a shock but you are no more a fan or anyway better than another Derby County fan, there is no scale to measure because we are all Derby County fans.

Enjoy going to the game, enjoy adding to the atmosphere, enjoy it all because one day you may not be able to go, one day that girlfriend of yours may become pregnant and your priorities in life will change. One day you may lose your job and no longer be able to afford to go, one day you may move out of home with Mummy and Daddy and have to start paying for food, gas, water, electricity...you know, the thing that powers your computer to come online and mock others for not going to games.

And whilst we are mocking others, Radio Derby presenters, the ones that give us commentary, the guys that try their best to keep us fans unto date with what's going on at the game.

How many on here have commentated a live football game, hands up?

I haven't, but I have sat back and thought what an extremely tough job it is, some homework for you, watch tonights game on Sky, put it on mute and commentate the entire game, remember not to let your emotions as a fan take over, try not to let your personal opinions on players take over because that is exactly what Ed Dawes has to do for every game.

Think about those little sayings you say everyday without realising, the things other people pick up on and take the piss, we all do it and you are lying if you say you don't, the kind of things you see in a Craig Ramage sweepstake topic for example in a Derbyshire accent on Radio Derby! the way some fans go on you'd think we have a Virgin Media call centre operator sat in Delhi commentating the game.

I remember a tweet by Colin Bloomfield once aimed at this forum and a topic on him, it was embarrassing and I actually felt responsible for giving our fans this platform to post these messages. Should I moderate them? but then members scream free speech, because that's what people want now to say what they like about and to others without any come back at all. 

I'm not saying people can't have an opinion, you can of course you can, but do you really need to go on week in week out? Can it not be done in a constructive manner? Do you not realise that this is these guys livelihood, their jobs and I know for a fact that they read this forum, these fellow Derby County fans, the same fans that follow Derby week in week out and go through the exact same emotions as we all after a defeat.

Do you know who else have emotions after a game? the players, the players families and this one is a Twitter problem. When Keogh makes a mistake, do you not think he is fully aware of it? When Bryson has a poor game do you not think he is aware of it? 

Do you think the players really need to be tweeted by @Ramsfan12345 (sorry if that's a real username) with a picture of Jamie Ward as his profile picture tweeting Bryson to say "You were **** today mate" and I saw one the other day aimed at Hendrick, letting him know that he should concentrate on football more than his lifestyle, and one guy had a pop at George Thorne for his injury timing, seasons over now you know and it's all Thornes fault, sick note he called him.

Oh and then theres Keogh's wife that was hounded off Twitter by those that wanted to pass on messages to her husband.

Are you ******* serious? 

I don't look at any hashtags now, and I try not to open any tweet from the Radio Derby team or players...not that the players tweet much now days, I can't be the only one not to have noticed this? Instagram accounts all on lock down now, that's not because they were tired of fans giving them support, wishing them luck, thanking them after a decent performance.

I used to think it was a minority of fans online that had issues, now I'm not so sure, the internet is a powerful tool which I don't think some should be allowed to use. 

Don't tell me it's all emotions either and it's somehow more acceptable to post hateful comments on forums or social media after a defeat, it's not, don't tell me it's more acceptable to call other members on here m****s or t***s because we're on a bad run and you're frustrated.

If you honestly can't handle your emotions online maybe you shouldn't come online because that person behind another screen you are calling a m***n for having a different opinion to you, or the fan you are calling plastic because he's got a wife and family to support could be twice the size of you and knock you into the middle of next week if you said it to his face, which some could probably do with to knock some sense into. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spot on.

I vent my frustration on here sometimes but never take it further. To maliciously attack a player, or even worse their partner, crosses a line and shows how how social media can turn nasty very easily.

At the end of the day, if you were even a fraction of the fan you claim to be, you would support the squad and the team as a whole instead of vindictively attacking the personnel over what is literally, a game! I mean, how is sending abuse to the player supposed to improve their game to the benefit of the team?

Defies belief at times.

Good post Daveo.

With regards to the whole Twitter thing, I follow that Raul Albentosa parody just for a laugh every now & then and the other day I saw he retweeted some ***** fan tweeting him abuse. The tweet has since been deleted by said ***** but it was something along the lines of "why did you come here, you can't defend, you're costing us promotion I hope you're dropped."

Now even if that was true, which in my opinion it isn't, what sort of encouragement does it give a player who has moved to a foreign country, maybe doesn't even have the English skills to fully understand the tweet, and in a brand new club looking to make an impression. Would you not find that damn right down-heartening as a player to have to read that? The best thing for players to do in my opinion is stay off Twitter. And that's not because they can't be trusted it's because football fans (mainly the younger ones) are some of the most idiotic people in the world. They expect perfection non-stop and should that not happen, they are only too quick to criticise.

I imagine had Jamie Hanson given the ball away in the last minute on his debut v Norwich, and they'd won, he'd have been subject to abuse and cries from fans for him to never play again. People presume footballers should have the mentality to ignore these things because they're "professionals" but how can you play well if you constantly play in fear of making mistakes.

It's no coincidence that off-form strikers miss easier chances because they're afraid of missing, not confident of scoring. Most of this is due to fans, either online or in the stadium. For example Leon Best, how must that feel as a striker to have your own fans boo you off the pitch? Let's be honest here, every single one of us would give anything to have 1/10th of the footballing ability any of our players have. It seriously pisses me off to read endless criticisms of players who in reality aren't doing that bad.

Look what you've started now Daveo! Sub-rant over.

Awesome post Daveo.

I for one have never posted hateful comments on social media after a Derby game,what's the point? But in regards to what you are referencing,I have noticed some pretty awful tweets by some towards players.No need whatsoever; these guys give their all for Derby and regardless of what fans feel about a performance,players feel worst.

Some imo need to understand and realize that football is a sport and is for entertainment purposes.I am not saying we as fans should not get irritated with a bad performance,but at the end of the day abusing others on social media about sport is just crass imo.

Daveo has nailed it. I've just started working full time in a decent job for first time and moved back to the midlands so for 1st tme next season I an afford a season ticket and the odd away game...I haven't suddenly become a "proper fan". And having watched the full 90mins of most games on rams player (as well as being a long time fan and highly qualified coach so I know what I'm talking about) I dont post my opinions much cos I know if someone doent agree they'll be right cos im a half fan (till next season)

Social media is brilliant and horrendous in equal measures - I'm glad I didn't have it in my formative years.

As for being called a part time supporter, nobody hates not going to the match more than me - I cried during Steve Bloomers watching on the radio the first match of the first season we didn't have a season ticket and didn't go but that's me - I'm quite comfortable at what sort of fan I am. 

Good post Daveo - and well done to Ed, Craig n Owen.   We're all Derby. 

Enjoy reading the forum, don't get much time to post. But i never read a few days after a defeat or a draw, it's just painful to see how some people react. 

I hate it when we lose as much as the next fan, but some posters expectations are just ridiculous.

;) (I'm a happy plastic tonight as we are on sky!)

I am a happy plastic. I have a lovely job and lifestyle, beautiful wife, two lovely kids, and and against all that I have the ups and downs, and downs of my football club.  To get the first 5 I had to sacrifice the last 1.

I have a sense of humour, and many might say it is a warped sense of humour.  Sometime I go too far with a few posters, but I only do it with the ones I like, and who probably know anyway I like them. Banter and the Internet is good, but I agree with Daveo - there should be no thing as half fans mentioned on here, and any 'real' abuse of players or posters should not be accepted. I would ban emoticons too!!! Now COYR!!!

This season our own online fans and I'm saying online because I'm hoping that's all it is, online behind a screen, behind a username fans have had me shaking my head at times, on this forum and on twitter.

The first is this whole plastic, half fan mocking of other fans, you know who you are, the season ticket holders, the fans that attend every away game thinking they are more of a fan than others. The ones that have no financial commitments, no family, now working restrictions that get in the way of attending games. 

Do you think you are some how more of a fan really? do you really care more about the club, do results effect you more than those with a family and unable to attend games? Is your opinion really more valid than others sat at home trying their best to follow the game through streams or on the radio?

I've not had a sense of humour bypass, I'm aware at times it's used as "banter" but others not so, and long time members will be aware I've talked about this many a time and it's my weak point if you are looking for a reaction and yes, something has just triggered this whole topic.

I'm going to be honest with you and this may comes as a shock but you are no more a fan or anyway better than another Derby County fan, there is no scale to measure because we are all Derby County fans.

Enjoy going to the game, enjoy adding to the atmosphere, enjoy it all because one day you may not be able to go, one day that girlfriend of yours may become pregnant and your priorities in life will change. One day you may lose your job and no longer be able to afford to go, one day you may move out of home with Mummy and Daddy and have to start paying for food, gas, water, electricity...you know, the thing that powers your computer to come online and mock others for not going to games.

And whilst we are mocking others, Radio Derby presenters, the ones that give us commentary, the guys that try their best to keep us fans unto date with what's going on at the game.

How many on here have commentated a live football game, hands up?

I haven't, but I have sat back and thought what an extremely tough job it is, some homework for you, watch tonights game on Sky, put it on mute and commentate the entire game, remember not to let your emotions as a fan take over, try not to let your personal opinions on players take over because that is exactly what Ed Dawes has to do for every game.

Think about those little sayings you say everyday without realising, the things other people pick up on and take the piss, we all do it and you are lying if you say you don't, the kind of things you see in a Craig Ramage sweepstake topic for example in a Derbyshire accent on Radio Derby! the way some fans go on you'd think we have a Virgin Media call centre operator sat in Delhi commentating the game.

I remember a tweet by Colin Bloomfield once aimed at this forum and a topic on him, it was embarrassing and I actually felt responsible for giving our fans this platform to post these messages. Should I moderate them? but then members scream free speech, because that's what people want now to say what they like about and to others without any come back at all. 

I'm not saying people can't have an opinion, you can of course you can, but do you really need to go on week in week out? Can it not be done in a constructive manner? Do you not realise that this is these guys livelihood, their jobs and I know for a fact that they read this forum, these fellow Derby County fans, the same fans that follow Derby week in week out and go through the exact same emotions as we all after a defeat.

Do you know who else have emotions after a game? the players, the players families and this one is a Twitter problem. When Keogh makes a mistake, do you not think he is fully aware of it? When Bryson has a poor game do you not think he is aware of it? 

Do you think the players really need to be tweeted by @Ramsfan12345 (sorry if that's a real username) with a picture of Jamie Ward as his profile picture tweeting Bryson to say "You were **** today mate" and I saw one the other day aimed at Hendrick, letting him know that he should concentrate on football more than his lifestyle, and one guy had a pop at George Thorne for his injury timing, seasons over now you know and it's all Thornes fault, sick note he called him.

Oh and then theres Keogh's wife that was hounded off Twitter by those that wanted to pass on messages to her husband.

Are you ******* serious? 

I don't look at any hashtags now, and I try not to open any tweet from the Radio Derby team or players...not that the players tweet much now days, I can't be the only one not to have noticed this? Instagram accounts all on lock down now, that's not because they were tired of fans giving them support, wishing them luck, thanking them after a decent performance.

I used to think it was a minority of fans online that had issues, now I'm not so sure, the internet is a powerful tool which I don't think some should be allowed to use. 

Don't tell me it's all emotions either and it's somehow more acceptable to post hateful comments on forums or social media after a defeat, it's not, don't tell me it's more acceptable to call other members on here m****s or t***s because we're on a bad run and you're frustrated.

If you honestly can't handle your emotions online maybe you shouldn't come online because that person behind another screen you are calling a m***n for having a different opinion to you, or the fan you are calling plastic because he's got a wife and family to support could be twice the size of you and knock you into the middle of next week if you said it to his face, which some could probably do with to knock some sense into. 

Archived