Thorne and Martin wont be back Friday, Bent Maybe - Ramsplayer

Colm

Apologies if this has already been posted but not seen it mentioned anywhere, Steve has confirmed Martin and Thorne wont be risked for friday.

http://www.player.dcfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/4568826/date/20150317225300/page/0/name/rams-player--steve-mcclaren-middlesbrough--h--reaction

Around 2 mins:

"What are the chances of either Darren Bent, Chris Martin or George Thorne being back on friday or is it just a case of let's be safe rather than sorry?"

McClaren: "I think with George we cant take a risk, too many niggles, we dont want to lose him for any longer and I think the same with Chrissy Martin, Darren Bent has trained this week and maybe available for friday, we'll have a look and assess the risk of that. So, yeah, we just have to wait and see, stick together and go on."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was all the speel about Thorne being close in the Norwich match then? If he has mentioned Bent possibly being available for Friday, considering the recent validity of injury comments I would now say there is no chance Bent will play.

Just get the feeling that whilst we may see Bent and Thorne back after the break, we won't be seeing Martin again this season

In hindsight I wouldn't have been surprised if they only said Thorne might be available for boro so that they draw in a bigger crowd as motivation so that some supporters thought we might have a decent chance, with the management full well knowing that we were going to play a weakened side but needing a big crowd to support them through it... who knows.

But we've fully sold out our wolves allocation so maybe that's why they're being more honest about the injury problems. Really hope we get them back asap though, I cant see us not getting at least playoffs if we have full strength squad after international break though, but automatics will be a real challenge if we lose to wolves, we'd pretty much have to win every game after that, and even then not be guaranteed to make it if other teams dont slip up.

If they reckon they are saving Martin till after the international break, then why not play Bent? If he gets injured again on Friday, then we'll have Martin coming back anyway. This is why we have two strikers, isn't it? There's no point in them both coming back from injury against Watford, we can't play them both.

Similar with Eustace and Thorne. Why not risk one of them this week? If you'r not going to risk your players this week, then what is the point? If they got injured this week and were out for the rest of the season, well we could probably handle games against Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan using the team that started last night, but these 6 pointers were the games that we needed are strongest side playing to win.

After norwich, Mac's interview basically said, 'We'll muddle through till the international break, and then crack on from there.' He's basically written off these games, which I don't like. We could find ourselves, as mentioned above, way behind the leading pack, or outside the top 6 by the time the international break is over, with shattered confidence and no momentum. Then it won't matter who's coming back, it's not going to save our season.

I say pump them all full of painkillers and get them all on the pitch now. We can still beat Wolves, and then we'll be back in it.

If they reckon they are saving Martin till after the international break, then why not play Bent? If he gets injured again on Friday, then we'll have Martin coming back anyway. This is why we have two strikers, isn't it? There's no point in them both coming back from injury against Watford, we can't play them both.

Similar with Eustace and Thorne. Why not risk one of them this week? If you'r not going to risk your players this week, then what is the point? If they got injured this week and were out for the rest of the season, well we could probably handle games against Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan using the team that started last night, but these 6 pointers were the games that we needed are strongest side playing to win.

After norwich, Mac's interview basically said, 'We'll muddle through till the international break, and then crack on from there.' He's basically written off these games, which I don't like. We could find ourselves, as mentioned above, way behind the leading pack, or outside the top 6 by the time the international break is over, with shattered confidence and no momentum. Then it won't matter who's coming back, it's not going to save our season.

I say pump them all full of painkillers and get them all on the pitch now. We can still beat Wolves, and then we'll be back in it.

Derby will and should not risk a players health on the want and need of fans.

Why everyone is going on about Thorne is beyond me yes he is a very good player and has the potential to be a great player but we have managed all season without him except 2 games, I would sooner him be back fully fit and not risk another serious injury, the same with Martin if they miss the rest of the season, so be it but at least they would return next season the better for it.

Before people start saying if we don't go up we will lose these 2. My reply is why would we??

Thorne injured all season and only played 20 games last season including Watford loan and is still relatively unknown(see boro Forum) half of them have not heard of him.

Martin tied down to a long term contract and would take 8milllion plus to get him.

Get fit lads and we all look forward to you being back on the pitch again.

McClaren mentions niggles with Thorne. That suggests his thigh injury had cleared up enough for him to start training - which was probably just before the Norwich game, but another problem occured so he dropped out of contention. It's a long way back from an ACL injury and these problems almost always occur.

I'm far less worried about Thorne as we have Hanson to play there on Friday and he's doing OK - not upto Thorne's standard, but better imho than Omar. It's Martin we need back if we are not to finish in mid -able.

Am I the only one who is getting fed up with this spin and subterfuge coming from the club. It seems to me that the chances of seeing Martin and Throne playing any more games for the rest of the season are very slim. I hope I'm wrong but got a feeling I wont be. Eustace and Bent will get a lot more game time than Martin and Thorne and even that is debatable. Besides they normally have a few games in U21 before returning to the match day squad. i havenet seen either of them even close to that yet. Plus they will take at least 3 games to get up to speed again so they wont be our saviours anyway. Season over.

I sometimes wonder if some of our supporters think that managers and players are a bit like truant schoolboys.

Chris, George, Darren etc aren't saying 'Don't feel like playing just yet. Fancy a bit more time off!'

Steve Mac isn't saying 'can't be bothered what team we put out, we're gonna lose anyway'.

The team that turns out isn't thinking 'Not gonna try, soon as they're fit we'll be out anyway!'

Steve, Paul and the players are aware that injuries are costing us dearly but, unlike some managers, they are not prepared to risk a player who is medically unfit at any cost.

I respect them for that and wish all the injured players well for a swift return to match fitness.

It takes massive will power and restraint to bow to the hand of the inevitable.

Maybe it's time for the rest of us to do the same and get behind the team that goes onto the pitch in each of the next eight games.

COYR!:)

I sometimes wonder if some of our supporters think that managers and players are a bit like truant schoolboys.

Chris, George, Darren etc aren't saying 'Don't feel like playing just yet. Fancy a bit more time off!'

Steve Mac isn't saying 'can't be bothered what team we put out, we're gonna lose anyway'.

The team that turns out isn't thinking 'Not gonna try, soon as they're fit we'll be out anyway!'

Steve, Paul and the players are aware that injuries are costing us dearly but, unlike some managers, they are not prepared to risk a player who is medically unfit at any cost.

I respect them for that and wish all the injured players well for a swift return to match fitness.

It takes massive will power and restraint to bow to the hand of the inevitable.

Maybe it's time for the rest of us to do the same and get behind the team that goes onto the pitch in each of the next eight games.

COYR!:)

Archived