Litter around derby/derbyshire + Utch's "Sofa watch"

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Is it just me or does the litter problem seem to be getting worse? Driving along the A38 there seems to be so much litter thrown out, especially in the lay by or on the slip roads coming off.

Someone has put signs up on the slip road coming off for Kilburn trying to get people not to litter but there is still pop cans, bottles, cigarette packets thrown out.

Should put mobile cameras up to catch people, and dont mess about with small fines, make it an automatic £1000 fine if caught throwing litter out a car window.

I know sometimes things can happen by accident, but winding your window down and throwing it out is just deliberate and selfish.

Do people who do it not realise it costs them money too, as someone has to pay for litter pickers etc and that someone is the taxpayer....anyway rant over!

Edited by Sith Happens

litter is an anti-social evil caused by young people who don't wear proper shoes and have absolutely no respect for anything....the bstrds.

although on the other hand i can quite understand the involuntary survival reflex that would be triggered by the desire to put maximum immediate distance between oneself and a carton of macdonalds food.

I hate litter louts.

There is not enough bins and not enough enforcement, parents and fast food outlets are the worst offenders for example if you eat at say MacDonalds you can treat your table as a trough and someone will come along and clean up afterwards, therefore that just transfers to other parts of their life.

I hate litter louts.

There is not enough bins and not enough enforcement, parents and fast food outlets are the worst offenders for example if you eat at say MacDonalds you can treat your table as a trough and someone will come along and clean up afterwards, therefore that just transfers to other parts of their life.

Sith Happens

if its kids who cant afford a fine, then catch them and make them spend a week litter picking, in the cold, wet....

I can't stand litter louts either. They have no excuse for dropping it. If there's no bin, hold it until you find one, it's really not difficult. 

Their only problem is idleness - it's too much like effort.

Providing more bins = having to pay for them and someone to empty them regularly. I just don't think the councils have the money any more & this is low priority. Hell, it takes them long enough to repair pot holes which can be a genuine risk to life.

It's a slippery slope, though. Once an area is littered, then there's less incentive for people to try and keep it looking clean & tidy, so they make it worse.

What we need is for somebody to come along and promote a "big society" idea, where everyone does their bit to improve the well-being of everyone. It can't fail.....

PistoldPete2

I agree litter seems to be getting worse... Is it that the council just doesn't bother clearing it up anymore? 

​I agree completely, whenever I leave a McDonalds or somewhere, I clear the tray into the bin, clear up any left over food on the table, and just leave it to be wiped down properly with a cloth by the staff. I also don't litter. It's about people for some reason believing that they aren't responsible for their own mess.

But the biggest problem is a lack of bins I think. I know having too many looks ugly but there are not enough bins around.

That's exactly what it is Ramnut, there's quite a few street cleaners who have gone through cutbacks, just like the CCTV guys, gone.

But if ppl took responsibility for their own sodding litter, it wouldn't be so bad.

Its nothing to do with bins. If I have stuff in my car it simply waits until I am home. It is a lack of respect. I agree that is a cultural thing, where I am renting now people live like animals, should see the rubbish in the communal areas. I would clean it up but the tramps dont deserve it.