Tom Ince 'firmly in Hull City plans'

DcFc Dyycheee

TOM Ince can still enjoy a big future with Hull City next season, according to manager Steve Bruce. After a disappointing first six months at the KC Stadium, Ince has been a revelation out on loan with Championship leaders Derby County since joining on deadline day.

Scoring five goals in his five appearances for Steve McClaren's side, the 23-year-old has rediscovered the form that once saw him tipped to become a Premier League star during his time with Blackpool.

City are unable to recall Ince before the end of the season under the terms of his loan deal, but Bruce is watching the youngster's revival in the East Midlands with great interest.

"The big thing I promised Tom and his Dad (Bruce's former team-mate Paul Ince) was that he would play games," said the City boss.

"When we went out of Europe early and went out of the League Cup early, that restricted the chance to play games.

"It's an important part of his development that he plays games. There's very few 21-year-olds playing regularly in the Premier League.

"He's set Derby alight and I'm delighted for him.

"There's still a bit of developing for him to do, he's still growing, but there's no doubting his ability.

"We've just seen in the last month or so.

"To be fair to him he played well at the start of the season as well and could have scored four or five times, so I'm pleased he's back playing well."

City supporters have only ever seen glimpses of Ince's potential since he arrived from Blackpool last summer in a deal eventually agreed to be worth up to £2.3m.

Despite starting the first three games of the Premier League season, he has since made just four substitute appearances in the top flight.

A difficult loan spell at Nottingham Forest could not stop the rot before Christmas but Ince has since found a new lease of life at the Ipro Stadium.

As well as chasing promotion to the Premier League with the Rams, he is also hopeful of being named in Gareth Southgate's England squad for the European Under-21s Championships in the Czech Republic this summer.

Ince ducked questions over his long-term future when asked last week but Bruce has indicated that the forward will be back at the KC Stadium.

"Tom's the same as Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson, too," said the City boss.

"You've got to make sure that you nurse them along because it's very hard for players of that age to come in and play regularly in the Premier League. They're still learning.

"In my opinion they'll all be very, very good players for the future of this club, I'm convinced of that.

"But we're in a relegation fight at the minute and I'm going to err on the side of experience rather than youth.

"Sometimes a young lad can play with no fear but at this moment that experience means a lot when you're handling the situation we're in."
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Tom-Ince-firmly-Hull-City-plans-finding-form/story-26085152-detail/story.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope if we go up its another case of George Thorne and Ince would rather move to us. I was hoping they would come down as I thought it might be easier for us to get him but Hull look like they will stay up. 

Although if we do go up and we can' get him, just being in the prem means we would have a lot more options for a replacement.

Anybody think we should go for Leicester's Mahrez if we go up and they come down? Been their best player all season, he may interest a better team than us though.

If he's doing so well for us and can't get in their team either that says he suits us a lot more than them, or the Championship is the peak of his ability.

I think it's the former. Because he's doing well for us doesn't automatically make him the right sort of player for Hull.

They're only 4 points from safety so nowhere near safe from relegation. Quite ignorant from Bruce to suggest they're doing anything other than trying to stay in the PL other than talking about which of their loaned-out players will play in the PL for them next year.

He doesn't fit in at Hull. It's as simple as that. I think some of their fans have noticed it but Bruce, judging by the comments, is oblivious. 

Hull are always going to be in a relegation battle, so when is he going to trust him? Is he willing to change his tactics to incorporate him to his full potential, I doubt it, so why he would try and keep him is beyond me.

Ince is a very talented player that has a certain playing style and thrives in certain conditions. It's not going to work out for him at Hull, it just wont. Even if he does go back, he will be asked to 'fill in' and play a role he doesn't feel 100% comfortable in. 

He doesn't fit in at Hull. It's as simple as that. I think some of their fans have noticed it but Bruce, judging by the comments, is oblivious. 

Hull are always going to be in a relegation battle, so when is he going to trust him? Is he willing to change his tactics to incorporate him to his full potential, I doubt it, so why he would try and keep him is beyond me.

Ince is a very talented player that has a certain playing style and thrives in certain conditions. It's not going to work out for him at Hull, it just wont. Even if he does go back, he will be asked to 'fill in' and play a role he doesn't feel 100% comfortable in. 

He didn't get a chance this season from Bruce,so what's to say he will next season?

I think Bruce is just quite pleased and perhaps just a bit surprised as well with how he is doing with Derby and thinks he can replicate it with Hull.

Hull might just stay up this season but I am not convinced Bruce will keep his job.

Ince fits us perfectly and I hope we can get him permanently.

Making excuses for letting a player go on loan with no recall who is scoring / creating freely when played in the right position and the right formation.  See Lambert trying to have a go at Bent before he got the chop for the same reasons.  Damage limitation. 

The gulf isn't that big from us to them and free kicks like Ince's go in in any division, so it's not a championship thing.

Probably also trying to bump up any price we might have to pay to get him at the end of the season - as above, it’ll be another Thorne saga.

He’s talking sausage too – there are loads of 21 year olds playing regularly in the prem, it’s not uncommon, notwithstanding the fact Ince is 23! 

Utter nonsense.

What's with the bad feeling towards Bruce?

Steve Bruce has done Derby a favour by loaning him out to us. He is still their player.

Derby are using the loan system as it should be used but I think it's wrong of us to suggest that we have some kind of 'right' to have a say in that players future.

He is no more a Derby player than any other club other than his parent club.

Rather than berate Bruce, I feel Derby owe him a debt of gratitude. The step up to Premiership football can be titanic for some players and who is to suggest that Ince will ever be quite good enough to play at that level.

If he isn't in Steve Bruce's plans, he's hardly going to tell the media "they can have him, he's no use to us". Not unless he wants him to go for a pittance.

I don't think WBA were that fussed about keeping Thorne either. Having a "saga" suited them more than us.

It's just business.

Archived