How many points do we need for promotion?

North_Stand_Ram

So, we currently sit on 65 points with 13 games to go, 5 points clear of Ipswich in 3rd.

The record points haul for a second place finish was Burnley last season, at 93 points. This would suggest that bare maximum number of points we need is 28 more, which would be 9 wins and a draw, although this may be unrealistic as the league is far more tight this year, where as Burnley and Leicester ran away with it.

The lowest points total for promotion automatically was 79, which was Stoke City in 2007/08 and Hull City in 2012/13. If this were to occur again (very unlikely, as the league was at a poor standard in these years), we would only need 14 more points, so 5 wins in 13 or 4 wins and 2 draws.

The average points haul for a second place finish in the Championship since its 2004 founder year is 86 points. So, on average, we need another 21 points from 13 games, which would be 7 wins. This reads VERY well, especially as we are currently averaging over 2 points a game. 

How many points do you think we need for promotion? I'd say we need 9 wins to make sure of it. Obviously we all want the title, but we need to go up first. 

COME ON YOU RAMS!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not quite averaging 2 points per game, but if we win on Saturday we will be. It's the third time this season we've been in that position, and we haven't managed it yet, so third time lucky, I say.

I reckon 86 to 88 points will be enough, but equally I reckon that we will get more than that.

I'd be surprised if 90 points doesn't do it.

Win 8 Draw 1 Lose 4 will make sure of it. But to be honest I can't see us losing 4 in 13 matches with our current strength and confidence.

I reckon Win 7 Draw 4 Lose 2 could be realistic if we take into account a month of March . - 25 more points and 90 in total.

That said, if we win the next 3 matches then five from the remaining 10 is well within our grasp. Massive chance to pull away over the next 10 days or so.

Bearing in mind that pretty much everybody in the top 6 has to play at least two other current top 6 teams between now and the end of the season, points are going to drop somewhere. I reckon 90 will be enough.

These are the remaining number of (as it stands) top 6 fixtures each team has:

Derby: 3, Middlesbrough, Watford and Norwich

Middlesbrough: 4, Ipswich, Derby, Bournemouth (Those 3 in 8 days!) and Watford

Ipswich: 4, Middlesbrough, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford

Bournemouth: 2, Middlesbrough and Ipswich

Norwich: 3, Ipswich, Derby and Middlesbrough

Watford: 3, Derby, Middlesbrough and Ipswich

A fair few of these also have to play Brentford, Wolves or both. Both of whom are by no means out of the running yet!

One game at a time really, boring as that is.

Fact is that right now 11 wins and 2 draws from the last 13 guarantees us promotion, and you work back from there with other teams dropping points here and there as the season progresses.

There are so many clubs in contention, that I could easily see 2 or even three of us going on great runs despite the top 8 clashes. I'd guess it'll take 90 points. Win the next one and tick those games down, then everyone else can do as they like.

8 more wins. Because that would mean that everyone below Ipswich would need at least 10 just to finish on the same points as us. Ipswich have got too hard a run in. Let's just focus on the next 3. If we can get 3 wins and or the others drop more points than us then we are on our way. 

Burnley didn't need 93 points to finish 2nd they only needed 86., 1 more than us. I think 90 points will do it we are on target for that but some tough games to come.

Archived