Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I went with the Russell Street and Cotton Lane kids to St Dunstan's Infants School. That was a rough area when I was a kid. We were considered posh because we had a front garden and curtains

It was 1970 i was 4yrs old, born & bred in Bridgwater  somerset, playing  outside of my house  when  an older lad came up to me and asked who i supported? Being so young didnt really have an idea? So sed Liverpool as i heard my dad talk about them,with that he gave me my first punch on the  nose & told me from now on you will follow derby county. Idid & i have & i will for ever more! 

Born in Derby! Lived down south most of my life (Oxfordshire) but visits to Derby sometimes included a trip to the BBG to watch the Rams with my uncle. Late 1960's and 70's.  Supported them ever since. Once a ram always a ram.

Fulham here we come!

COYR!

for some reason my brother got interested and i was allowed to go too.

we stood on the ozo end at the front aged about 9 watching Fagin drink brown ale out of bottles that they opened by smashing the  tops off on the old hooped railings. I was vaguely aware that the adults were sh-t scared of him. I was totally in awe of Mackay. I loved Les Green, Willie Carlin, Alan Hinton, Kevin Hector. I used to draw pictures of Hector in his no10 shirt volleying or heading it copied from pictures in SHOOT or GOAL. i can remember standing next to Wolves fans on the terraces and them offering me a share of their soup. Can you imagine that now? (Heinz Tomato). I've had a soft spot for Wolves ever after. We even went to reserve games - i remember ricky marlowe, barry butlin and tommy lawrence - the flying pig - in goals for Liverpool. Later we graduated to the popside, wearing silky scarves tied around the wrist. I collected all the home programmes for 71-72 in a binder and kept it for 40 years until i gave the whole lot to alan hinton one day. 

i've been addicted to derby ever since although there were a couple of short spells when i stopped going for some reason or other. Altho at others times i flew home to england to watch Derby when i couldn't bear to not be there on a saturday.

strange init. 

Now i'm a season ticket holder again and i love watching will hughes. i'm no longer in awe of the players but i would still go giddy and girly if i met mackay, carlin, or hector.

since i was young, i followed the........

Short answer: It's in my DNA

Long answer: Some of you might know the story of Derby County being curfewed in the Midland Hotel in the run-up to the 1946 FA Cup Final, and my mum and granny being the ladies who kept the players' morale up (not THAT way, you dirty buggers). For those of you who don't - well, be nice to me and I might tell you one day. It involves alcohol.

never really liked football, but my brother did and was a leicester fan (because all his friends were) and a couple of years ago derby ran a fan game with cheaper tickets which happened to be derby vs leicester, so went to that game with family, deciding i was going to support derby as born and bred in derby.

we lost 2-0 with another dissallowed goal, but i loved it, never looked back since

Archived