Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad was a Chelsea fan all his life and they're my 2nd team to this day but when they started to get good  all of my friends were supporting them and Man U etc. I wanted to support my uncle's team- Derby as I was a right hipster and my uncle had indoctrinated me from a young age to be a Ram. Never looked back and Derby till I die!

I have to say that I became a Derby fan because I felt like I belonged at the Baseball Ground.

In the early to mid 80s, Derby were languishing in Division 3 and because of that, were not in the Panini Sticker magazines, and so I didn't really know that Derby County existed at that young age. I was more into playing than watching. Lots of kids at my school (Firs Estate) were Liverpool or Forest as they were the glory teams at the time. In about 1985, Man United were playing Everton in the FA Cup final, at that time MUFC were not a good team, and all the other lads in the TV room at the community centre were cheering for Everton, so being the awkward lad I am, I nailed my colours to the Man United mast and that kind of stuck for a few years, but looking back, I didn't really love them like I love Derby. At about the time of Mark Wright and Dean Saunders, and Ted McMinn, I went to the Baseball Ground and never looked back. 

People called me a turncoat, I ditched my Man United connection, and devoted myself to Derby County, many did it the other way around!!

I found it tribal.

Both my parents are from down south, one supports Liverpool and the other supports Chelsea. They moved to Derby 6 years before I was born. When I was about 4 I asked my Mum "Mum, where was I born?"She replied "Derby Royal Hospital". To which I said "Well, I'll support them, then."

One of my earliest memories, that conversation, been a Ram through and through ever since.

My Dad and Grandad used to take me to the BBG from the age of five [1958] .We used to stand in the lower tier of the Normanton end me on a small stool to see over the front of the stand .

The best Derby teams ever were just at the right time for me age wise 15 to 23. Fantastic years I am very lucky to have been the right age at the right time.

In the early 60's I had plenty of Forest friends and relatives try to convert me ,but as the saying goes you can change your car ,your house even your wife but you can't change your team.

Both my parents are from down south, one supports Liverpool and the other supports Chelsea. They moved to Derby 6 years before I was born. When I was about 4 I asked my Mum "Mum, where was I born?"She replied "Derby Royal Hospital". To which I said "Well, I'll support them, then."

One of my earliest memories, that conversation, been a Ram through and through ever since.

In 1915, my dad, aged 7, and his family moved from Shardlow to Mountsorrel in Leics. His 3 brothers decided to support Leicester. To my eternal gratitude, my dad still supported the Rams. So unusual as he was such an amiable man and never disagreed with anyone.

He started taking me to BBG in 1952 when I was 11. We didn't go often because we couldn't afford it, but I was a Ram for life. His mates told him it was a waste taking a mere girl to football! I often think of that when I look along the seats at my son and 4 granddaughters!

My dad was born in Harrington Street, about 250 yards from the Normanton Stand, played on the Baseball Ground in a Derby League Cup Final, and like many other youngsters sneaked in at half time for free when the gates were opened.  He saw Steve Bloomer play several times, but never a full game!

Didn't really stand a chance did I, but wouldn't have had it any other way  -   thanks Dad.

I come from Coventry, just started supporting them about 1970 when 8, starting to look good and winning things!!!..Wanted to be different to all my mates at school and I have supported them ever since...Dad was a Cov fan but he loved Cloughie and when he went to Forest so did my Dad's support :) Made it very interesting...I now live in Norwich and all three of my kids support the Rams, just starting on my granddaughter now....Father-in-Law now has a soft spot for them to....Lots of support for the Rams in East Anglia!!!!

Archived