Who's going to drop off the bench.

ollycutts1982

Potentially for Saturdays game we could have Martin, Russell and Albentosa back in the squad. Who would drop off the bench to accommodate them?

For me it would be - 

Thomas - no brainer for Martin

Dawkins - lacking confidence, offered nothing last night when he came on

Ward - seems abit out of favour last two games

Opinions?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say that is pretty much correct. I'd keep Dawkins in the mix to bring on if we need to close a game out possession-wise.

Looks to me as though Buxton will also be rested for a while. Which as far as I'm concerned, is not a bad thing for the team on the whole.

Bold but absolutely correct decision by the manager last night to drop a fans' favorite ... but in Shotton I think we have a far classier defender.. and with the Spaniard approaching fitness ... Jake's chances could be limited from here.

Definitely wouldn't drop Dawkins from the bench, offers something different from the other wingers.

For me it would be Ward & Thomas.

and then a toss up between Buxton and Mascarell. Which is harsh because they haven't done that much wrong.

Roos

Bryson

Albentosa

Dawkins

Martin

Russell

Mascarell/Buxton

There's absolutely no point having 2 centre halves on the bench.  And there's barely any point in having a centre half and Warnock IMO.  Once everyone's fit, it'll probably be a striker (Bent), 2 wingers (2 from Ward, Dawkins and Lingard), an attacking midfielder (Bryson), a defensive midfielder (Mascarell or Eustace) and a defender (Shotton if he's not starting, as he's the most versatile).  Obviously players will be rotated as form and fitness dictates as well.

Yes it'd be crazy to have 2 CB's on the bench. 

Don't agree Dawkins did nothing. He did as much as Ince. More considering he went on two runs that started about 30 yards out and finished with a cross from inside the box. And he never lost the ball which was what we were supposed to be doing. 

Only seen 45 mins of Albentosa in my life. 

Martin I want back in the team. I truly believe we miss THAT pass (and the free kicks are handy). I love having Darren Bent. And I'm excited about the plan to have them both together one day but now isn't the time to be experimenting and in a straight choice i pick Martin

Roos, Buxton(Raul), Bryson, Mascarell, Dawkins, Lingard, Bent

with Russell and Martin 100% fit and back in the team

There's absolutely no point having 2 centre halves on the bench.  And there's barely any point in having a centre half and Warnock IMO.  Once everyone's fit, it'll probably be a striker (Bent), 2 wingers (2 from Ward, Dawkins and Lingard), an attacking midfielder (Bryson), a defensive midfielder (Mascarell or Eustace) and a defender (Shotton if he's not starting, as he's the most versatile).  Obviously players will be rotated as form and fitness dictates as well.

Roos, Christie, Eustace, Bryson, Ince, Bent.

Then Ward or Dawkins and I'm buggered if I could pick that one. They each offer something different off the bench.

Starting: Shotton RB, Alby at CH, Russell and Lingard wide. Plus usual suspects.

Mascarell misses out because he's << Eustace in that role.

Nice dilemmas though.

There is a point in having 2 centre halves on the bench if shotton is playing , cos shotton can play right back. But really given options in midfield and attack we might have only one defender on the bench , plus mascarell, Bryson, Russell, martin and Dawkins or lingard. Don't think martin is fit yet tho is he? 

“Raul is fit eough to train now,” said first-team coach Paul Simpson.

“He trained all of last week and over the weelend as well.

“He is fine, he is not getting any pain or discomfort.

“A point will come where he gets thrown into the first team. We didn’t feel it was right at the wekeend but may be the manager might think he is right to be involved tomorrrow, we will just have to wait and see.

“It has been really frustrating for us, and more so for him because when you come to a new club and a new country, you want to show everybody what you can do, but unfortunauely he was not quite right. He had lots of niggles and aches, but we are there with him. We have got him right.”

Archived