Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not given to exaggeration , but I sincerely believe that , if we play in the Premiership next season , and Hughes and Thorne stay fit and play to their potential , then they can be ( with one other ) the regular midfielders in the England team .. 

​I find it laughable that supposedly knowledgable people are saying England need Wilshere to 'learn' that role - he hasn't got a clue how to play it (no matter how many videos he watches) - Thorne is such a natural that he just drifts into the right position whereas Wilshere has to keep reminding himself where he should be standing - plus as has been said, Thorne has the physical presence to impose himself (in a similar way that Matic does it for Chealsea) - obviously a big step up for him to do it against better quality oponents, but I've every confidence in him to be just as good at a higher level....

​Unfortunately, I suspect Thorne will never really play regularly (if at all) for England, for exactly the same reason Huddlestone hasn't: he doesn't run around enough.  The English mentality is all players 'giving 100%', crunching into tackles and lumping the ball forward as quickly as possible.  Thorne does none of those things, and as soon as the going gets a bit tough, he'll be dropped for a headless chicken tackle-everything-in-sight like Owen Hargreaves, or a Roy of the Rovers gives-the-ball-away-all-the-time-but-scores-wonder-goals like Gerrard.

Hughes may well go the same way - you can see it when Liverpool fans talk about signing him, it's all 'he needs to bulk up, win more tackles and score more goals'.  No - he needs to keep on doing what he's doing - being one of the best damned passers of the ball I've ever seen for his age.

​Unfortunately, I suspect Thorne will never really play regularly (if at all) for England, for exactly the same reason Huddlestone hasn't: he doesn't run around enough.  The English mentality is all players 'giving 100%', crunching into tackles and lumping the ball forward as quickly as possible.  Thorne does none of those things, and as soon as the going gets a bit tough, he'll be dropped for a headless chicken tackle-everything-in-sight like Owen Hargreaves, or a Roy of the Rovers gives-the-ball-away-all-the-time-but-scores-wonder-goals like Gerrard.

Hughes may well go the same way - you can see it when Liverpool fans talk about signing him, it's all 'he needs to bulk up, win more tackles and score more goals'.  No - he needs to keep on doing what he's doing - being one of the best damned passers of the ball I've ever seen for his age.

Speaking to a Sheff Wed fan who sat in our directors box this weekend said that Hughes looks really good and sees what the hypes about. Also said Hendrick was close second weird saying IMO Hendrick hasn't been his best lately (Against S.Wed he played like his old self again thoe!).

I mentioned Throne his reaction was who!? They'll find out soon enough!

Thorne is ruining football for future generations in Derby. By 2030 our academy will be empty since George turned everyone gay, resulting in the birth rate in the city taking a nose dive.

I think I might fancy him a little bit. Not in a weird predatory way. Just in a "I'd like to lick your face while you eat grapes" way.

I'd say the majority are still nursing the erection that sprang up from his first touch

I love him. Like a wife.

He's tall, dark, suave, athletic and handsome. I do find him strangely attractive

​Not true.

According to the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. 

The likelihood of having to go through a second ACL surgery within 24 months is six times’ greater than the chances of having a tear in the first place In the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital study, 78 subjects between the ages of 10 and 25 years old were assessed. Of them, 29.5% of the athletes suffered a second ACL injury within 24 months of resuming regular activities, including 20.5% sustaining an injury on the opposite leg and 9% tearing the same leg.  

This is one of a few studies that have looked at this and all have similar findings. 

​I can tell you on personal experience, that is not the case.

Once you tear your ligaments, it's never the same again. The graft, even when fully integrated, is nowhere near as strong. 

I got told it's similar to riding a bike with only one handlebar.

Ligament injuries are like leg breaks - they happen but there is no relation to an occuring injury.

I'd be far more worried if he had hamstring problems. They're the killers.

I think you meant recur, not occur. They are nothing like breaks, are more prone to recur. Hamstrings are extremely resilient, the injuries are tricky but they are always minor injuries.  I have had plenty of hammy tears (various degrees) and bounced back fine.  Few if any footballers have had to retire because of bad recurring hamstrings, they retire because ligaments are shot or the knees have had it through so much ligament tear. Hamstring tears are far from killers.

​The study seems to indicate that you are far less likely to suffer the same injury to the same leg. This is indicative of the ACL repair being stronger than it was originally.

The 2 year study indicates that there would be a less than 50% chance of him ever suffering one again throughout the remainder of his career.

Stats, eh?

Here's a little article i wrote about him. 

A Team with a Thorne in its Side

When Derby County’s major signing of the summer George Thorne suffered an ACL injury that would require surgery after only 30 minutes of his first pre-season friendly, a whole club, a whole city, felt a shadow cast over the forthcoming season.

Earlier in the summer, Thorne was at the centre of a protracted transfer battle between Derby and West Brom, with Rams fans rejoicing when the England U21 international signed for £2m. But why the elation and subsequent heartbreak over a player with only 12 league appearances on loan last season?

Thorne came into a side in third position in the Championship, a standing which did not change for the rest of the season, so what was Thorne’s impact, what has made him so important that his comeback from that summer injury against Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday was met with a standing ovation before he had even kicked a ball?

The 22 year old is a tall, strong defensive midfield player with an extensive range of passing and was seen as the final piece in the jigsaw for Steve McClaren’s team. Derby, who came so agonisingly close to promotion last year at Wembley, saw Thorne as their driving force towards automatic promotion this season, hence the fans’ acknowledgment of the second coming.

A moment from the Rams’ recent clash with Charlton perhaps best explains Thorne’s Messianic status a****st Derby fans. In only his second game back it was not the precise pass to Hughes that led to the first goal, nor the stunning disguised pass to Hendrick for the second goal.

It was the moment a ball dropping out of the sky under pressure was cushioned over his right shoulder to beat one man followed by a surge past the next one to start another attack, leading to gasps around the iPro Stadium and a growing realisation that the crowd were watching a Premier League player propelling them into the Premier League

​I can tell you on personal experience, that is not the case.

Once you tear your ligaments, it's never the same again. The graft, even when fully integrated, is nowhere near as strong. 

I got told it's similar to riding a bike with only one handlebar.

Archived