Greedy Fans

inter politics

I don't know what some of you think but it really annoyed me when some of our fans were bemoaning our second half performance.

Yes, we lost some of the intensity but we were always in control. 2-0 can be a risky scoreline but I'd rather we play in that way than having to come from behind and go gung-ho all the time.

We can be a very exciting team, as demonstrated by the first half but we're going for promotion here, not 5-0 every game...I can understand some mild frustration but some of the fans attitudes is pathetic, bordering on arrogant - remember the darker days in Derby County's history before mindlessly berating our players for so-called negative tactics.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is ridiculous. Sadly in life, everything is relative and what becomes the norm for people becomes what they expect. Some no-brain stood next to me yesterday was shouting his head off at every slight mistake. We're 2-0 up and in complete control, calm yourself. We've truly been spoilt with the advances in our club (in every aspect) in the last two seasons and still we're only a poor individual performance from people turning on specific players and I daresay a handful of losses from people turning on the manager, particularly if we narrowly miss promotion again. There are still people who (mostly from a kind of stubborn pride) say that the Clough sacking was the wrong call.

so-called negative tactics.

I don't get it either, a win is a win! 3 points closer to the "mission accomplished" that we are all hoping for and expecting.

Let's take a trip back 2 yrs or so and then decide if we should bemoan the so called negative tactics deployed last night and against Brighton.

Its a testament to the way our side has developed that we are able to shut the opposition off

It's the new way. Nowt to do with present or previous management as far as I'm concerned. Real Madrid "fans" boo Gareth Bale for not passing to Ronaldo. Everyone is a Manager nowadays. Frame by frame replays, slowed down, show every move, good or bad, on TV. So, many fans now expect perfection for some reason because they see anything else as some kind of failure. Perhaps they'll come back into the real world one day, perhaps they won't.

There are at least 11 scapegoats in our team in any match as far as many posters/"fans" are concerned. Just pick out the one or two you like least and give them a good bashing. Look away if they have a good game and then come back when they make a mistake. It's all so predictable, it's nearly funny but it's not.

Perhaps we need a new song. Most people know it.... "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands". Might be quieter than we all think:)

We do seem to just go into cruise control once we're comfortably in charge... The Brighton game being the classic example for me... we tore through them for 20 mins and then just eased off the rest of the game...

I'm generally happy to win BUT I understand people who moan about that... You pay to see your team play 90 mins of competitive football... not 20 mins and then a training game...

It also harks back to people's complaints that we haven't really gone to town on anyone... We ease off on teams when it's starting to look embarrassing for them... 

However I don;t blame them last night... A lot of games recently so dropping down a gear to see it out and not waste too much energy makes sense...

Listening to there manager he said there was to much space they was giving us. He issued instructions and it worked for them they was a lot more organised and compact. Hense why we struggled to break them up. I think we could of but what's the point we was 2-0 up and they was settling for the 2-0..

Even thoe we did nearly score 3 more and hit the cross bar but yeah..

some people do have very short memories.

As someone who was very critical of the previous regime, I always said I'd be very grateful if we ever had a quality manager and quality players, and were competing for promotion, and I have to admit, I am, very grateful. Whilst I can pinpoint areas for improvement, I can also appreciate the pragmatism on display. If we have another 10+ games like that between now and the end of the season, we are laughing all the way to the Premier League, and a whole new set of things to moan about.

I was watching MOTD2 at the weekend and they mentioned how Pearson (and Martinez) are receiving a lot of stick from the fans because they are struggling.  I sat back and thought that, if we go up and if we struggle (which we probably will) at least we won't turn on the manager.  I am not so sure now.

Personally I would of liked an extra goal or 2. Had they scored with 10-15 mins to go, the free kick we conceded 2nd half in the edge of the box is an example where they could score from nothing, Sheff Weds anyone? Then it puts needless pressure on. Admittedly they never looked like troubling us. Not picking I would like is to go for the jugular a little more. 2nd half was reminiscent of Clough days, loads of possession but between the CB's. Were top of the league so it's not all bad. Christ if we'd had Thorne all season we would be well clear by now I do think he is that vital to us.  Just look last night made both goals n broke up play and still not 100%. 

I do understand the opinion that fans should be entertained for the full 90 minutes but there's just too much at stake on winning promotion to risk going all out against Charlton, stuffing them 6-0 and then being knackered/injured and failing to beat Fulham. As others have said, it's what the best teams do.

How would we all feel if Thorne or Hughes had got badly injured last night while trying to set up our 5th goal?.

The papers say we won 2-0 and are top of the league. A few match reports say we recently fought back and got results against Bournemouth, Rotherham, and Sheff Wednesday. We're playing some of the best, classy and entertaining football we've had in years. Fans need to check their privilege if they're moaning we didn't score in the second half.

Agree it's way, way, way,way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too important at this stage for any gung-ho play at all.  Charlton were next to no threat, so to cruise, control and get back in the dressing room with the points and no injuries is absolutely the way to go.

What do people want? 

To defend for our lives making last minute blocks or defend with the ball making 666 passes? 

Read what Charlton are saying. They were happy to lose 2-0. They didn't really come to win. And we hit them so quickly that a draw was soon beyond their plans. 

We defended the game. But with the ball. A crazy concept that's much better than smashing it to the corner flag or trying to force the play.

If Charlton had started pressing us then I'm sure Derby would have happily started passing into the gaps. But no point trying to knock down a wall when there's nothing to gain on the other side. 

Strange game where both teams were happy with a 2-0 scoreline

Archived