Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

What i saw last night was not boxing, it was anti boxing.  In the hearts and minds of millions of boxing fans

Mayweather will never be considered one of the greats, for that takes skill, class and a warriors heart.

i like the Chelsea mention and agree, but an equally good one is the Greek team that became European champs,

they will never be considered one of the greatest teams that Europe has produced.  That was anti football.

​What in goodness name is anti boxing? More punches thrown, more punches landed.

Skill? Are you saying Mayweather isn't extremely skilled

Class? Mayweather post fight interview oozed class, Pacquiao's didn't

A warriors heart? What does that even mean? I doubt you could win 48 fights without having a 'warriors heart'

​What in goodness name is anti boxing? More punches thrown, more punches landed.

Skill? Are you saying Mayweather isn't extremely skilled

Class? Mayweather post fight interview oozed class, Pacquiao's didn't

A warriors heart? What does that even mean? I doubt you could win 48 fights without having a 'warriors heart'

​Anti boxing is a term i made up and refers to a theory i made up, it's mine, i own it and what it is too.  The theory is as follows, the next thing i am about to write is my theory.  Ready?  Here it is, the theory by ramit, that's mister to you, all boxers are thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end, rather than thick all over.

You're a funny guy, i'll give you that.  You ask what a warriors heart is and then go on to state that Mayweather surely has one.  We differ in opinion as to what constitutes class and that's fine.   Yes Mayweather has skill at defense, i did admit that and you are fully aware of it, but you just want to have a tussle don't ya?  The point i attempted to make albeit clumsily is that you need all three of those attributes to be counted as one of the greats of boxing.  It may irk you to know that i am not alone with this opinion and that's entirely your problem.

warriors are generally the ones that don't have the level of skill or ability and need to dig deeper to win. Mayweather doesn't need a warriors heart. Well, he doesn't need to show it.

For what's it's worth, I wanted Pac to win.

warriors are generally the ones that don't have the level of skill or ability and need to dig deeper to win. Mayweather doesn't need a warriors heart. Well, he doesn't need to show it.

For what's it's worth, I wanted Pac to win.

​Yes i know it's rare when these things go together and that's why they are considered greats.  Chris Eubank for instance is IMO a good example of when it all comes together in one great fighter.  Ali, Leonard and a few others had this as well.  Yeah, i'm a bit sore over how the fight went, my wife being a Filipina and all, that and how the season ended for us has left my nerves raw.  Thanks for commenting.

​Yes i know it's rare when these things go together and that's why they are considered greats.  Chris Eubank for instance is IMO a good example of when it all comes together in one great fighter.  Ali, Leonard and a few others had this as well.  Yeah, i'm a bit sore over how the fight went, my wife being a Filipina and all, that and how the season ended for us has left my nerves raw.  Thanks for commenting.

​So he's too good a boxer to be considered great, in a round about way. 

I'm irked because I think you've let your personal opinion of Mayweather cloud your judgement of him as a boxer.

I'm irked because I think you've let your personal opinion of Mayweather cloud your judgement of him as a boxer.

​In many ways I think that Mayweather is unfortunate that he's never truly had to dig deep and win people over.

Personally, I think a late 80s Mike Tyson was truly the best I've seen. Sadly external influences took his focus off boxing. Mayweather has not let himself down in that regard.

​In a straight forward way, no he is not.  Seems to me that you were irked because i have a different opinion to yours regarding Mayweather.  Boxing is like football in that opinions vary greatly and that's one of the more interesting aspects to it IMO.My personal opinion of Mayweather is based only on how he boxes.  He does what he does very well and skillfully if you like, but a great fighter he is not.  Don't let it irk you, it's just my opinion, how you see it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know we had a boxing thread but my top 5 fighters

Ali - The Greatest

Rocky Marciano - The warrior

Joe Frazier - The humble powerhouse

Wladmir Klitscho - Technically perfect most fights

Joe Calzaghe - Must be mentioned

But back to Maywheather...

He may well be TBE on paper but he is not humble enough,

Mike Tyson summed it up "Ali is the greatest and he could walk his kids to school, Maywheather cant do that"

I think Floyd will retire into a nobody, he wont be remembered except on paper, Ali was the best, in more ways than one

Joshua vs Kingpin should be good.

I like Degale, but his post-match comments were abit annoying. I understand he must be 'buzzing' but why go off and call Froch, Groves and Ward 'pussies' for not fighting him.

Ward would annihilate him.

Also find it annoying how some British boxers cry for rematches after losing but when winning closely - by SD or a lucky KO when losing on points - they quickly close that 'story' and feel they're too good for a rematch.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Joshua vs Kingpin should be good.

I like Degale, but his post-match comments were abit annoying. I understand he must be 'buzzing' but why go off and call Froch, Groves and Ward 'pussies' for not fighting him.

Ward would annihilate him.

Also find it annoying how some British boxers cry for rematches after losing but when winning closely - by SD or a lucky KO when losing on points - they quickly close that 'story' and feel they're too good for a rematch.

Agreed.

You going to watch Khan fight Friday?