Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Yup, you did Bris. If manny had gone for it he'd have be KO'd easy.......maywaeather is a sodding robot like that. yeah if there was a game plan, it didn't come off. oh well. least i didn't re mortgage the house and bet it all on some #ITK info. 

it's not Mac to newcastle...

Defensively Floyd is very good, but offered nothing offensively.

A frustrating bout where one came to fight and the other to duck and scamper.

Manny would have to have taken more chances to take the fight to Floyd.

A tactical win, but pretty it was not

I give credit when its due:Mayweather was far superior tonight in all aspects;fair play to him.Gameplan by Freddie Roach just never seemed to click for Manny.

​As daft as it sounds, the only person I can see coming close to beating him is Khan.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sufre he has a longer reach than Mayweather, similar boxing speed and the ability to get in and out quickly. It will be his last fight in September, has to be Khan or Thurman. Anybody else wouldn't have the pull.

Pacquiao looked a lot smaller than Mayweather, and he couldn't get in behind or around that superb defence.

A defensive masterclass. Both should retire after this year, there is no where else to go no for Manny.

​As daft as it sounds, the only person I can see coming close to beating him is Khan.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sufre he has a longer reach than Mayweather, similar boxing speed and the ability to get in and out quickly. It will be his last fight in September, has to be Khan or Thurman. Anybody else wouldn't have the pull.

Pacquiao looked a lot smaller than Mayweather, and he couldn't get in behind or around that superb defence.

A defensive masterclass. Both should retire after this year, there is no where else to go no for Manny.

Agree about Khan,would be interesting fight that.

Next for Manny? Not sure tbh.

Bit disappointed with Manny's post-match comments. He was nowehere near close to winning that fight.

Blame Mayweather for his style, but you know what you're going to get. He isn't a big puncher, he's a defensive masterclass who counters and wins round. He'll not knock you out unless you leave yourself stupidly open.

Think Manny should have given him more credit then, that's disappointing.

Imagine sticking 2 Mayweather's in a ring...

​It would be the equivalent of a 0-0 draw between Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan and Roberto Di Matteo's Chelsea.

I was going to use Stoke vs Sunderland, but Mayweather deserves more respect than that,

You were saying? Show me someone who can beat Money. The Best Ever.

​As with any sport, but perhaps even more so with boxing, it's impossible to compare eras. How can you make a compelling argument for Floyd being better than Sugar Ray Robinson for instance, or vice versa? Best of this generation certainly, best ever it's pointless to even discuss.

To define Best Ever is more than just boxing skills, but also personality, popularity and humility.

It's why Lionel Messi in football is rightfully compared to TBE. He ticks all the boxes.

Mayweather, on the other hand, isn't a popular figure. He's extremely respectful to his opponents post-fight, which is quite nice to hear. But his behaviour, money-flashing eccentrics easily rubs people up the wrong way.

Edited by Bris Vegas

​As with any sport, but perhaps even more so with boxing, it's impossible to compare eras. How can you make a compelling argument for Floyd being better than Sugar Ray Robinson for instance, or vice versa? Best of this generation certainly, best ever it's pointless to even discuss.

Add Sugar Ray Leonard,Willie Pep,Roberto Duran,etc to that list.

Edited by AmericanRam

Yeah, of course. It's all personal opinion. I rate Floyd as the best ever, and today was was just another confirmation of that for me, but I can see why people won't agree with that.

Completely agree with @Bris Vegas about the Manny interview as well. He looked embarrassed when he was saying it.

You were saying? Show me someone who can beat Money. The Best Ever.

​Pacqiuao won that fight, Ridiculous decision!

He was the agressor every single round and Mayweather fought like a coward retreating at every available opportunity. The fact that Pacqiuao was fighting with one arm appartently as well after being denied a shoulder injection makes Mayweather seem all the more weak.

Did you not hear the boos when the decision was announced as unanimous in Mayweather's favour?

In regards to the best ever, you're really saying Mayweather is better than Ali?

He was the agressor every single round and Mayweather fought like a coward retreating at every available opportunity. The fact that Pacqiuao was fighting with one arm appartently as well after being denied a shoulder injection makes Mayweather seem all the more weak.

Did you not hear the boos when the decision was announced as unanimous in Mayweather's favour?

In regards to the best ever, you're really saying Mayweather is better than Ali?

Come on Yorkshire, you don't really believe that. Aggression is irrelevant, it's about landing punches. Pacquiao didn't land nearly enough.

Why would Mayweather take any risks? He was winning so comfortably. It might not be everyones cup of tea but he executed very well. Outclassed him.

In my opinion, he's the greatest. Despite all the arrogance, I also think he's a class act. If he had lost as decisively as Pacquiao did, then I honestly think he would have admitted it.

Come on Yorkshire, you don't really believe that. Aggression is irrelevant, it's about landing punches. Pacquiao didn't land nearly enough.

Why would Mayweather take any risks? He was winning so comfortably. It might not be everyones cup of tea but he executed very well. Outclassed him.

In my opinion, he's the greatest. Despite all the arrogance, I also think he's a class act. If he had lost as decisively as Pacquiao did, then I honestly think he would have admitted it.

​Pacqiuao was the victor in that fight, not doubt about it.

If Mayweather is indeed as good he's hyped to be, he'll accept a rematch then when Manny is fully fit, yet I don't see that happening...

Edited by YorkshireRam

I know nothing about boxing. Having said that I have three points:

Mayweather seems like the human personification of Chelsea. Flash the money, work the media, play the mind games, park the bus, unstoppable, relentless, but not particularly exciting. 

Main sure when Ali first said he was the greatest people if the time were thinking 'how disrespectful to whoever was classed as the greatest before him'. Someone will knock him off his pedestal one day (in the noat respectful possible way), why can't Mayweather claim to be that person? 

The argument is academic. Rocky was and always will be the best ever!

​Pacqiuao was the victor in that fight, not doubt about it.

If Mayweather is indeed as good he's hyped to be, he'll accept a rematch then when Manny is fully fit, yet I don't see that happening...

Find someone else (other than a Pacquiao camp member) that thinks Manny won. I haven't read any reviews but I'm guessing you'll find it very difficult. I can't even comprehend why you think that.

No need, he proved himself better last night. Mayweather has already said that he'll only fight one more time. He has nothing left to prove.

What i saw last night was not boxing, it was anti boxing.  In the hearts and minds of millions of boxing fans

Mayweather will never be considered one of the greats, for that takes skill, class and a warriors heart.

i like the Chelsea mention and agree, but an equally good one is the Greek team that became European champs,

they will never be considered one of the greatest teams that Europe has produced.  That was anti football.

​No need to get worked up over it. It was so, so obvious how it was going to play out.

Mayweather is so good defensively, he just aims for a seven-round victory. Last night, I think he won 9-3 - which whould make it a 117-111 victory which was pretty close to the 118-110 (10-2) and 116-112 (8-4) official scorecards.

You say Manny was the more aggressive. Yes, but Mayweather actually threw more punches and landed more accurately (141 to 91) I think it was. 

It's that jab. It's so effective, like Klitchsko in the heavyweight division, that's it's really hard for opponents to get inside and get any clean shots. No matter how fast Manny is, his small stature never allowed him to get close enough.

Mayweather provides the jab, bobs, weaves, ducks - throws accurate punches. He's the best defensive fighter ever therefore the only way to beat him is by a fluke knockout (not likely!). At his weight, he's unstoppable.

But his fights are so boring because he only ever aims for a seven-round win. Get those seven rounds and it's in the bag.