Could Omar keep Thorne out of the Side?

In the last 2 games,Omar is finally showing us some serious talent as a CDM. He appears to have finally dispelled the mickey mouse defending (eg, his lame tackle attempt for the Forest goal, and the shirt pulls etc); now we see him distributing, eliminating mistakes (don't recall any v Blackburn), and making multiple key defensive headers and sliding tackles right before dangerous chances. 

I haven't been too high on Omar, and certainly longed for GT's return, but Omar lately looks pretty impressive. If he keeps up this form, then I see him keeping thorne out the side, which seems remarkable to say. Could it happen?

I guess its a great problem for the manager, and he could slot Omar in alongside WH, putting GT in behind - another possible solution.

Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not .

Do like Omar though.

We don't know how Thorne will be on his return yet it could take a while to get Championship game fitness back.

Will be good to have options and I think Omar still has a role to play .

Just like to say well done Omar so far thanks.

I would imagine that, when Thorne returns, there would be games when Mascarell is moved further forward, either to give Hughes a rest or to play alongside him (drool).

A run of games seems to have done the Spaniard a world of good. If OMG can deliver a quality performance in each of the next 3 games - Cardiff, Bolton, and against Bournemouth - that we should get him permanently, and he and GT can duke it out for that spot, and we will always have a young quality backup with GT being 22 and Omar 21. DCFC must be weighing a permanent move for him at this point.

No.

Mascarell has done well, but the game against Blackburn suited him, there was no battle for a midfield, and so he wasn't really under pressure.

If he can put together some performances against teams who press us high up the pitch, then maybe a different story. Don't think Cardiff or Bolton will be too much of an issue, Bournemouth etc on the other hand will be and he has struggled in such games before.

I don't see any player just walking into the team be it back from injury or a new signing, since McClaren's arrival it's not been his style.

Look how long it took Thorne to get in the side when he came on loan, Omar wasn't straight in either if I recall correctly. Albentosa and Bent are both on the bench still.

Thorne will wait his turn, once fully fit and a poor performance from Omar he'll be in.

Like this about McClaren, doesn't seem to have his favourites, you play well you keep your place, how it should be and must be encouraging for players in the squad.

I would put Thorne straight back in for the record, after he's played a couple of U21 games and lasted the 90. McClaren tho it's not his style.

We need to see if Omar can keep this form up over 2-3 more games. If so, then when Thorne comes back, prob the home game versus Wednesday, that he puts Thorne in for the last 25 mins or so, judge whether he's full board or shying out of tackles etc, and judge it at that point. Right now, there's not enough info to call it. If Omar reverts back to shakiness in the next games, then I think McClaren would put Thorne straight in v SW. 

He played very well the last game but hasn't really imo had a consistent run of form overall as to be expected probably from a youngster in a foreign country, generally he has struggled in away games so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks, all his better games have been at home I'd say.

So would expect Thorne to play when he is properly fit though he took his time to oust Eustace last season when on loan.

When Thorne is fully fit I would expect him to start, but there is no real need to rush him back.

Until then I can see Omar filling that position for most of the game but moving forward along side Hughes (or Hendrick/Bryson) when Thorne comes on as sub. That way he is able to help Thorne out while he builds match fitness, but still join in with the creative mid-field stuff.

Archived