Future stadium extension

whiteroseram

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our average so far this season is just shy of 29,000. If away teams had as big a following as they do in the premier league, then we would probably average 31,000. PL football for more than one season is justification to expand to 44,000. No we wouldn't sell out every week. But a gate of 40,000 on average would be good justification. 4,000 empty seats in a 44,000 capacity would not be noticeable. If we were to get relegated again it would not be a problem. They could lower ticket costs. But they could simply also just cover the last 10 or so rows.

Sorry Ramnut, you're talking nonsense. The foundations were laid to allow for this, I worked for the company that did the commercial piling and all that would need to happen is that some pillars be erected behind the East and South stand, then a basic lean to, which is above but slightly behind the existing stand would be supported by pre-existing foundations that are currently redundant. 

I remember when it was built they put in extra footings to accommodate the larger capacity

Safe standing gone out the window then?

Makes far more sense to me to hold out for if/when safe standing becomes an option, rather than adding more seats, which as other people of said, we'll rarely need.

It should increase capacity (not sure how much) and assuming it was in the south stand it'd improve the atmosphere in the ground even more.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. This season we have what 22,000 season ticket holders? Well 1,000 more went on sale yesterday me buying 3. So bringing that to 23,000 after renewals and more sales... So with a solid prem structure why can't that be 33,000-35,000 in a 40,000-45,000 stadium? The South stand is in high demand.. We sold every single SS upper season ticket yesterday by 3PM that's amazing. But also the downside is Arsenal for example they have in my opinion the second best stadium in England but obviously due to the debt on building it there season tickets start from

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but why should we be falling over ourselves to accommodate "fans" who will apparently only deign to support us at Premiership level? Obviously from the club's point of view they wouldn't care if people only bought season tickets to see the Man United game so long as they paid up, but it winds me up when "lifelong" Derby fans who I've never seen before crawl out of the woodwork for playoff games or premiership football.

Me too. I hope I can get tickets for the Man U game next season. Exciting.

Considering we only got 32,100 for FA Cup 5th tound tie against Man Utd a few seasons ago, our capacity should be fine for now. Even when we were top half of the Prem consistently we only averaged 29k. I agree with those concerned about having empty seats, think of the Ricoh arena, totally void of atmosphere. Long way to go before we should even consider increasing.

<a  class=http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/454094313-general-view-of-the-ipro-stadium-prior-to-gettyimages" />

this is the best photo of the columns i can find at the moment.....

Image has disappeared.....sorry......presumably a copyright issue.

Safe standing has got to be the preferred option. It would be cheaper and more popular with a almost all supporters. with the figures of 1.8 safe standing places per existing seat, converting the south stand and the lower tier of the away section, would gain an extra 

5-6,000 capacity.

The arguments for and against are well known, but the relatives of the 96 still react strongly against such proposals, as disrespectful to the 96. Maybe they should look at the kop at most home games and see that the Liverpool fans now stand up for most of the match. If the Liverpool fans choose to stand after Hillsborough, why shouldn't the rest of us in a purpose built stand.

Archived