Future stadium extension

whiteroseram

Does anyone else remember when we got promoted a few years back there was some talk of PP/ the Ipro having been designed to be easily extended to around 44,000 capacity? So instead of it being a long project including design etc it would be far quicker and far cheaper if I remember the interview right? I'm not suggesting we should do that now, but as we arent all that far from selling our full allocation of season tickets and we're averaging around 29,000 attendances it might be something worth looking into and looking into the costs of etc. so IF we got promoted we could consider doing it IF we stayed up? 

Thoughts? Am I getting ahead of myself?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else remember when we got promoted a few years back there was some talk of PP/ the Ipro having been designed to be easily extended to around 44,000 capacity? Yes So instead of it being a long project including design etc it would be far quicker and far cheaper if I remember the interview right?Yes  I'm not suggesting we should do that now, but as we arent all that far from selling our full allocation of season tickets and we're averaging around 29,000 attendances it might be something worth looking into and looking into the costs of etc. so IF we got promoted we could consider doing it IF we stayed up? Yes

Thoughts? Am I getting ahead of myself? Yes

Does anyone else remember when we got promoted a few years back there was some talk of PP/ the Ipro having been designed to be easily extended to around 44,000 capacity? So instead of it being a long project including design etc it would be far quicker and far cheaper if I remember the interview right? I'm not suggesting we should do that now, but as we arent all that far from selling our full allocation of season tickets and we're averaging around 29,000 attendances it might be something worth looking into and looking into the costs of etc. so IF we got promoted we could consider doing it IF we stayed up? 

Thoughts? Am I getting ahead of myself?

its designed so that you can add a tier to the 3 lower sides, so you are right. not sure we'd sell out that often at 44k tho....

I recall that it was said at time of building that the roof can be easily removed, the new tiers added on top then the roof put back. As its been said, the stadium was designed with easy expansion in mind, lego like. I also remember reading/hearing somewhere that the base structure of the expansion is stored somewhere. That one may be made up though by someone somewhere.

We sold out every week didn't we when we was in the prem? If we've got a team what can stay there for say 3 seasons then why not. Even thoe we was getting trashed every week still Sold out.

I think the big games we could sell it out. The lower teams maybe 38,000 average.

I don't believe that the structure is easily extendable.

The external columns are tight to the back row of seats, therefore to add additional rows it would be necessary to decapitate all of those existing columns and build new columns on new bases further back.

It would be necessary to weld new beams to the existing columns which would have to have been designed to accommodate the future load - this is unlikely - and the foundations would have had to be sized to accommodate the future load too - also unlikely.

The existing stairs and means of escape widths would provide another potential limitation on the maximum capacity.

Additional seats could probably only be accommodated if the existing stairs and exits were also designed with spare capacity.

The number of toilets would similarly have to be increased, and there is limited space in the concourse areas to achieve this.

I think the idea that the ground is easily extendable is a myth. When the club were considering the possibilities prior to the world cup i think this was considered and i suspect that they then realised the real complexity. I seem to remember that there was a suggestion of extending one stand only - possibly the south stand - due to the fact that there is limited space available on the other sides. Whilst a single major extension is possible - it would probably bugger up the aesthetics.

I think they concluded that it was not something worth pursuing.

I will be surprised if we ever see an expansion.

Remember that when the ground was first built, the planned way to increase capacity was to infill the NW and SW. corners.

The SW corner was completed. Unfortunately the NW Corner is a bit of an abortion.

I don't believe that the structure is easily extendable.

The external columns are tight to the back row of seats, therefore to add additional rows it would be necessary to decapitate all of those existing columns and build new columns on new bases further back.

It would be necessary to weld new beams to the existing columns which would have to have been designed to accommodate the future load - this is unlikely - and the foundations would have had to be sized to accommodate the future load too - also unlikely.

The existing stairs and means of escape widths would provide another potential limitation on the maximum capacity.

Additional seats could probably only be accommodated if the existing stairs and exits were also designed with spare capacity.

The number of toilets would similarly have to be increased, and there is limited space in the concourse areas to achieve this.

I think the idea that the ground is easily extendable is a myth. When the club were considering the possibilities prior to the world cup i think this was considered and i suspect that they then realised the real complexity. I seem to remember that there was a suggestion of extending one stand only - possibly the south stand - due to the fact that there is limited space available on the other sides. Whilst a single major extension is possible - it would probably bugger up the aesthetics.

I think they concluded that it was not something worth pursuing.

I will be surprised if we ever see an expansion.

Remember that when the ground was first built, the planned way to increase cpacity was to infill the NW and SW. corners.

The SW corner was completed. Unfortunately the NW Corner is a bit of an abortion.

Sorry Ramnut, you're talking nonsense. The foundations were laid to allow for this, I worked for the company that did the commercial piling and all that would need to happen is that some pillars be erected behind the East and South stand, then a basic lean to, which is above but slightly behind the existing stand would be supported by pre-existing foundations that are currently redundant. 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-World-Cup-bid-plans-Pride-Park-Stadium-expansion-unveiled/story-11622444-detail/story.html

Derby World Cup bid plans for Pride Park Stadium expansion unveiled

By This is Derbyshire  |  Posted: July 22, 2009

Comments (0)

Derby has unveiled its bid to be a host city if England wins the right to stage the football World Cup in 2018 or 2022. But, if the city secures a part in the prestigious tournament, changes would have to be made to Pride Park Stadium. Caroline Jones reports.

WHEN Derby County legend Ted McMinn was granted a testimonial match at Pride Park Stadium in 2006, history was made.

The game, between a Derby legends team and a Rangers side that won nine successive Scottish Championships, attracted 33,475 fans.

It was a record crowd for the then nine-year-old stadium and no other match has attracted so many supporters since.

But records are there to be broken and, if Derby wins the right to stage matches during the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, it could be smashed.

When the World Cup went to Germany in 2006, the lowest attendance was 37,216 for a group match between Serbia and Montenegro and the Netherlands

Mr Glick said: "We've always been aware that, in order for the World Cup to come to Derby, the stadium would need to be expanded to tournament standards.

"The good news is that when the stadium was designed originally, expansion was one of the things the architects had in mind.

"So there is certainly proper land and proper footings that would enable us to do that quite easily, should we be required to."

And Gadsby from apparently 45 years ago...

"When we had the stadium in 1996, we had the opportunity to increase that to 44,000," Gadsby told Sky Sports News.

"The stadium had all the infrastructure put in and the board are keen now to put in 44,000 for next year.

"We are looking very closely now at that and maintaining our Premiership status, and I believe we will go to 44,000 to meet the demand.

"It would take about three months, or four months, we would just lift the roof up to put the seats in as all the stanchions are ready."

Sorry Ramnut, you're talking nonsense. The foundations were laid to allow for this, I worked for the company that did the commercial piling and all that would need to happen is that some pillars be erected behind the East and South stand, then a basic lean to, which is above but slightly behind the existing stand would be supported by pre-existing foundations that are currently redundant.

I think you are wrong.

To extend the rows the existing columns would become internal.

The height of the height of the columns would have to be increased.

Its a major task.

Are you a structural engineer? No.

The Det report obviously refers to a feasibility study that entailed building new or permanent stands behind the existing structures.

A major project.

I think you are wrong.

Its a major task.

Are you?

I think you are wrong.

Its a major task.

is someone in an argumentative mood?

Just for my amusement, remind me of what job I do and what jobs I have held previously Ramnut.

Structural Engineer, or not ;) I can see the construction of the supporting framework outside of the east and south stand are interchangeable, and if you've noticed or not, there are sections outside of the stadium where you are underneath the stand, this would just build back further as it went higher, and you'd have some NEW pillars (as I said in first post) further away from the concourse/pitch, but on the existing but currently redundant foundation!

Some of us have discussed this with Rush and Vicars. Yes the stadium is designed to be extendible. No there are no plans at present. It's all about keeping moving forward but in relatively small steps so we don't over-reach.

If we can establish ourselves in the Prem and have a full ground almost every week, with demand for more, then we'll definitely look at it. But it's a discussion for 5 years down the line rather than now. Let's concentrate on getting there first.

is someone in an argumentative mood?

Just for my amusement, remind me of what job I do and what jobs I have held previously Ramnut.

Structural Engineer, or not ;) I can see the construction of the supporting framework outside of the east and south stand are interchangeable, and if you've noticed or not, there are sections outside of the stadium where you are underneath the stand, this would just build back further as it went higher, and you'd have some NEW pillars (as I said in first post) further away from the concourse/pitch, but on the existing but currently redundant foundation!

I'm not in an argumentative mood....but you are....as seems to be increasingly the case across the forum.

I know you are not a structural engineer because i once asked you.

If you remember you were looking for work and - if you had been a structural engineer - then i could have lined you up for a job.

We'll leave it at that.

Archived