Midfield

Dimmu

Is it our new defence? Weakeast link at the moment?

Okay, Hughes is PL standard player and easily so. But what about Hendrick? Hasn't been that good, has he? What about Valleyram Bryson?

I'd count our wingers/wing attackers as a midfielders too. Ibe has gone, Russell injured.. Dawks, Ward and Bennett only options so pretty limited there.

Thorne and Eustace are nearly fit and gives us some good options as a dm but Omar hasn't been that bad? Seems to be match winner or scapegoat as good dm should be in our team?

What would be your lineup?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hendrick and Bryson have been our poorest midfielders this season. Frustrating as we know just how good they can be. 

I would have Thorne and Hughes as mainstays, then actually rotate Hendrick, Bryson, and Omar in that second CAM role. 

I would like to see Omar play further forward. He might be gash in the attacking role, but having seen him, I get the feeling he would be very dangerous around the edge of their box. 

People need to cut Hendrick some slack. He was probably our best player in the first month of the season. 

He may have a tendency to drift in and out, but I feel he gets asked to do a lot which doesn't come naturally. He never looks comfortable laying the ball back into defence, and it certainly isn't comfortable when he's sacrificed to play wide when we go for it with our subs.

Well considering we are 2nd in the league and Omar has played most the games this season I would say he had done well in Thornes absense.

Hughes has been quality.

Bryson has been injured more this season and hasn't been given a run of games to find some form.

Hendrick although he hasn't been as good as we know he can be, he still guarantees you a solid performance every game, you never see Hendrick make a goal costly mistake. It's just his work in the final third that is letting him down.

Also if you told any championship football fan that Derby County's weakness was their midfield they would laugh.

Our midfield playing under par as you say, is still good enough for a top 2 spot, it can't be that much of a weakness.

Hughes has to be on the pitch at the moment. We lack that extra bit of intelligence and composure when he's not around.

I don't like Hendrick and Bryson together, especially without Eustace. 

Omar has been great at times in that holding role, but he's prone to committing himself too high up the pitch. That was the force behind Forest's second, and the one Grant saved well vs. Blackburn.

When we get Thorne back though, we'll be back to full strength. Although I do think we miss Eustace's ability to get the rest of them organised. He's a valuable leader.

In the politest way, you're all idiots!  :ph34r:  :lol:

You seem to have failed to notice that last season we had far and away the best midfield in the division, whilst you failed to notice, the other teams in the division did notice and as a result have paid extra special attention to our midfield, and in particular made attempts to stifle Hughes and Bryson. Both have had lumps kicked out of them this season, but their involvement in the game, whilst less productive in terms of creation, still remains high. Certainly in games where both Hughes and Bryson/Hendrick have been outnumbered, the opportunities for the wider players and full backs, and also Chris Martin have significantly increased.

Teams are that worried about us that they have to either ruin the game for Martin and the wide players (thus allowing our central players freedom to play), or they ruin the game for our central midfield 2 or 3, but allowing more time for Martin, and the wider players to play. Very rarely do both our midfield AND our wider players (& Martin) get hussled out of the game.

I wouldn't make an issue out of a non-issue here. Our midfield are a lot more influential in games than people tend to realise. It's just people buy into myths that players are 'struggling' when they actually aren't.

My advice, Wear earplugs at games and don't read anything critical for a while (even from me criticising Keogh's perfomances) and then you'll notice how many good things our midfield actually does do, albeit it less brilliantly than last season.

In summary, we were spoilt last season and expect too much this season.

In the politest way, you're all idiots! :ph34r::lol:

You seem to have failed to notice that last season we had far and away the best midfield in the division, whilst you failed to notice, the other teams in the division did notice and as a result have paid extra special attention to our midfield, and in particular made attempts to stifle Hughes and Bryson. Both have had lumps kicked out of them this season, but their involvement in the game, whilst less productive in terms of creation, still remains high. Certainly in games where both Hughes and Bryson/Hendrick have been outnumbered, the opportunities for the wider players and full backs, and also Chris Martin have significantly increased.

Teams are that worried about us that they have to either ruin the game for Martin and the wide players (thus allowing our central players freedom to play), or they ruin the game for our central midfield 2 or 3, but allowing more time for Martin, and the wider players to play. Very rarely do both our midfield AND our wider players (& Martin) get hussled out of the game.

I wouldn't make an issue out of a non-issue here. Our midfield are a lot more influential in games than people tend to realise. It's just people buy into myths that players are 'struggling' when they actually aren't.

My advice, Wear earplugs at games and don't read anything critical for a while (even from me criticising Keogh's perfomances) and then you'll notice how many good things our midfield actually does do, albeit it less brilliantly than last season.

So your saying that Bryson and Hendrick struggling at the moment to find form is a myth???

In the politest way, you're all idiots! :ph34r::lol:

Mostyn you are right and we have a good midfield which includes Mascarell and Thorne coming back.

For all of those claiming Eustace always protected the back 4 well he was subbed against Cardiff at home and we were 2-0 down

Click on highlights

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/free-video-derby-county-2-2-cardiff-city-201415-2229802.aspx?

Cardiff at home earlier this season one of those games where Eustace didn't protect the back 4

We were 2-0 down and Eustace was subbed and it ended up 2-2

Click on Highlights

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/free-video-derby-county-2-2-cardiff-city-201415-2229802.aspx?

Correct but we killed them in the first half and I think they only had 3 shots on target all game. We missed Bucko that game, big time.

Correct but we killed them in the first half and I think they only had 3 shots on target all game. We missed Bucko that game, big time.

Thought Eustace always protected the back 4

According to Radio Derby particularly Craig Ramage.

Other drawn games at IPRO were the same something I have been banging on about which were similar early doors.

Mascarell has made a difference at home but people have sort memories about Eustace early doors this season

Eustace the leader didn't work in that game. http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/free-video-derby-county-2-2-cardiff-city-201415-2229802.aspx?

Bucko you may be right he's improved no end for me and is a success story for me now.

thought Eustace always protected the back 4

According to Radio Derby .

Well he didn't in that game.

Bucko you may be right .

I'm sure we were both at the match so you'll remember how dominant we were until they scored from a corner. I wouldn't expect whoever is playing at DM to take responsibility for all corners. I would expect a centre half to jump though.

I'm sure we were both at the match so you'll remember how dominant we were until they scored from a corner. I wouldn't expect whoever is playing at DM to take responsibility for all corners. I would expect a centre half to jump though.

I was at the match and thought Cardiff bossed it until Eustace was subbed as in other drawn games at home early doors this season

Craig Ramage RD says we haven't lost many when Eustace plays or played but we drew a lot of games early doors at home .

Mascarell came in and we are more fluent attacking wise.

Eustace is injured and Thorne coming back to fitness and Cardiff 2-2 was a long time ago now so prefer to look forward .

Do respect your views though.

I was at the match and thought Cardiff bossed it until Eustace was subbed as in other drawn games at home early doors this season

Craig Ramage RD says we haven't lost many when Eustace plays or played but we drew a lot of games early doors at home .

Mascarell came in and we are more fluent attacking wise.

Eustace is injured and Thorne coming back to fitness and Cardiff 2-2 was a long time ago now so prefer to look forward .

Do respect your views though.

Just shows how people can see things so differently :)

I think teams just play more defensive and wait for us to push the ball past the half way line. That's when they snuff out the danger men I.e Hughes and stick a man marker on him or two. They don't give us the space of last season they know who the danger men are. That's why I think our wingers have freedom I'm suprised last game Ward didn't have two people on him Ibe had it every game.

*Edit* This is why like you that you might see them under-performing losing balls not running with it like they used to score from distance. Where as in fact it's the other team wising up.

Just shows how people can see things so differently :)

All I want is for the Rams to get promoted .

I think we are pretty strong in Midfield to be honest .

Eustace did a good job when he came back for 3 games and steadied the ship with a 4-0 win at Brum and 1-0 Ipswich away and 2-0 at home to Leeds.

In retrospect it's a shame he's injured but Thornes return will be good for us I hope.

In the politest way, you're all idiots!  :ph34r:  :lol:

While I agree with most of that, Bryson and Hendrick have struggled for form for most of the season. A bright spark performance, followed by a string of average games. 

So your saying that Bryson and Hendrick struggling at the moment to find form is a myth???

No, what I am saying is that the way people judge 'form' is a myth.

In one game a player can score a hat-trick, in the next game the same player could create a load of chances, make several successful tackles and interceptions but not have a shot on target. That player has been effective in both of the games, yet some would suggest the first game was 'form' and the 2nd game was not on form.

Football games can be won and lost in many ways, and players that can only play one way are no use in the modern game. What I'm saying is that just because Bryson hasn't got 10 goals already this season does not mean he's playing badly or out of form, it just means he's playing differently, against different opposition and contributing in a different way.

The myth is that some people say he's playing poorly, then everyone accepts that as a fact. In the same way people say players like Milner or Carrick are useless, that then becomes 'fact' when it's far from the truth.

Someone earlier said they watched highlights and then realised that their first assessment of Hendrick's performance was perhaps unfair. It's all subjective and how we watch the games.

I know that if I am a bit drunk at a game, my opinion is somewhat influenced by those surrounding me, their groans cloud my 'live' judgement, that's why I always watch the game back when alone to see it again without prejudice.

All I want is for the Rams to get promoted .

I think we are pretty strong in Midfield to be honest .

Eustace did a good job when he came back for 3 games and steadied the ship with a 4-0 win at Brum and 1-0 Ipswich away and 2-0 at home to Leeds.

In retrospect it's a shame he's injured but Thornes return will be good for us I hope.

A while ago you asked for more detailed stats regarding our defensive midfielders. Unfortunately I didn't have the time or the inclination. However, it's Friday and I'm bored;

Mascarell         Eustace

Games Started                                                                    11                   13

Points in games started                                                       19                   28

Points/games started                                                          1.73               2.15

Goals conceded in games started                                       13                    9

Goals conceded/games started                                          1.18               0.69

Total minutes on pitch at DM                                             1029               1111

Goals conceded whilst on pitch at DM                                 13                    8     

How often Derby concede with this player at DM            79 mins         139 mins

I will have a look at how often we score with each player on the pitch later. I expect Mascarell will do better in that category. I haven't done this to show that Mascarell is bad. If they weren't measured against Eustace those numbers would look impressive. I'm glad he's getting a run in the team and the big positive for me is that he is learning from week to week and showing clear progression.

Archived