Andy Murray In Australian Open Final Sunday

Curtains

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray was absolutely brilliant today - simply took Berdych apart.

Spare a thought for the Murray haters though - it's going to be a tough few years for them.

I'm afraid I can't get too excited about tennis. I think it gets too much sports coverage when compared to the interest of the average Brit.

However, I wish him well and hope he wins for Scotland (he doesn't give a toss about us)

Why should he?

Or are you raising the old "Anyone but England" bullshit when he was having a bit of banter with Tim Henman? Don't - leave that nonsense to the truly stupid people.

Not really sure why people from Britain support Murray. Tennis is an individual game, the players play for themselves not their country and they certainly do not represent their country any more than Chelsea do in the Champions League.

If you like Murray's game, then fair enough.

But people blindly following him because he's Scottish makes little sense to me.

No denying he's one of the best in his sport though. If he wasn't in such a good era, he'd probably have won more than just the two grand slams so far.

Not really sure why people from Britain support Murray. Tennis is an individual game, the players play for themselves not their country and they certainly do not represent their country any more than Chelsea do in the Champions League.

But people blindly following him because he's Scottish makes little sense to me.

No denying he's one of the best in his sport though. If he wasn't in such a good era, he'd probably have won more than just the two grand slams so far.

Why does anybody support any individual in any sport, in that case? Hell, two people (female, old) used to support ME, of all people, in international tournaments.

It's simply human nature - you want to see the people you're close to, support, or feel an affinity towards succeed in life. Even if the only thing you have in common is nationality, you still get the sense of loyalty over, say, someone from a different country. 

Case in point - folk from Derbyshire want to see Will Hughes do well for Derby County - people just enjoy seeing homegrown succeed. The only difference is in Murray's case it's on an international stage. 

Despite that, I don't think anyone begrudges the other international tennis stars - they're sensational to watch. I use to be a big fan of Andy Roddick and his huge serves (and no that's not a euphemism). 

Sorry, I have lost track, is he British or Scottish today? I thought we were back in the position again, after his referendum vote, where we had nothing but hatred for this sullen, boring, monotone mummy's boy. Let me know quickly, as I can always get my John Bull outfit from the wardrobe.

Archived