Nearly February and it's ruddy tight at the top!

robglosta

Just three points between top and us in fifth (with a game in hand). State the obvious time, but win on Tuesday and we go joint top on points; lose and we are still only two points off of the top two.

It's tight, it's really bloody tight.

It is essential we find some consistency, as I don't see too many of the top six fading now. I initially thought we might see Brentford start to slip, but a win away at Norwich today looks like they will certainly be in and around us.

Does anyone think we will see a runaway team - in any capacity - in the latter stages (us included)? I don't see one, and I think we need to stay solid, win ugly where necessary but most importantly keep up the momentum and consistency amongst those near the top.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just three points between top and us in fifth (with a game in hand). State the obvious time, but win on Tuesday and we go joint top on points; lose and we are still only two points off of the top two.

It's tight, it's really bloody tight.

It is essential we find some consistency, as I don't see too many of the top six fading now. I initially thought we might see Brentford start to slip, but a win away at Norwich today looks like they will certainly be in and around us.

Does anyone think we will see a runaway team - in any capacity - in the latter stages (us included)? I don't see one, and I think we need to stay solid, win ugly where necessary but most importantly keep up the momentum and consistency amongst those near the top.

Boro, lots of squad depth...

The phrase "joint top" is only used by the gumps (when they're not). There is rarely any such thing, and the only way we can go joint top on Tuesday is to win 9-3, which is fairly unlikely.

"Level on points" is probably what people mean - I wish that's what they'd say. It's so tight at the top that the season could end with teams level on points with goal difference or even goals scored being the deciding factor. Ending in third place but being "joint top" won't be much consolation to anyone then.

Don't see anyone running away with it if they haven't by now. If we don't beat Blackburn would be concerned we could drop away from the automatic places by the time Thorne gets back so we desperately need points until he is fit when I feel it will look after itself with his extra quality (assuming he gets up to match speed fairly quickly).

Has this league ever been so tight?

I'd back Boro to be fair. Of the others it's anyone's for the taking. Ipswich will remain tough to beat, Bournemouth seem to keep surprising everyone.

Anyone who strings together a good run stands a chance but at the moment everyone is just about as consistent/inconsistent as each other!

It's just too difficult to call.

When we played Norwich was convinced we'd seen the team that was going on a long winning run to seal promotion, as happens every season. New manager bounce too, then they lose at home to Brentford, who seem to have survived their own little wobble, this truly must be the most competitive league in Europe atm, you could throw a blanket over the top teams.

However, still believe we will come out on top, everyone else seems to be playing at 100%, we too rarely do. I think we have more scope for improvement compared to our rivals, could be the sheep tinged contacts I'm wearing though!

It's just too difficult to call.

When we played Norwich was convinced we'd seen the team that was going on a long winning run to seal promotion, as happens every season. New manager bounce too, then they lose at home to Brentford, who seem to have survived their own little wobble, this truly must be the most competitive league in Europe atm, you could throw a blanket over the top teams.

However, still believe we will come out on top, everyone else seems to be playing at 100%, we too rarely do. I think we have more scope for improvement compared to our rivals, could be the sheep tinged contacts I'm wearing though!

Norwich are bonkers.

Appoint a new manager....go top.....have a bad run.....sack the assistant manager.......appoint Phelan as the new no2.....then get rid of the manager........then appoint a new rookie manager.....then lose Phelan......

What is Delia drinking?

Norwich are bonkers.

Appoint a new manager....go top.....have a bad run.....sack the assistant manager.......appoint Phelan as the new no2.....then get rid of the manager........then appoint a new rookie manager.....then lose Phelan......

What is Delia drinking?

Yeah seems odd to get Phelan in, then appoint a new manager over him, based on his record in Scotland, which even Sammon looked good in for a similar period of time.

To show just how tight at the top it is, last season saw:

1 Leicester P 27, PTS 60

4 SUPER RAMS P 26, PTS 47

6 Reading P27, PTS 41

This season we have:

1 Bournemouth P 27, PTS 51

5 SUPER RAMS P 26, PTS 48

6 Watford P 27, PTS 47

Project the current 6th place to the end of the season and that would be an eye-watering 80 points just to make the playoffs.

Its entirely in Mac's hands. Stick to the possession game and we'll do it. Try and go for a more direct, get it forward at every opportunity type plan and we may just miss out on automatic.

Keep the ball and gradually pin the opposition back, when we get the ball in the area we have 4 or 5 players arriving looking for the cross.....play a bit more conservatively, as in the fullbacks and central midfielders not having full licence to move forward, and hit hopeful, hollywood balls, and we'll not be as effective.

Its a fine line but we have the players to do it if Mac keeps his nerve.

Its in our own hands.

Archived