Evolution and a major change in approach?

i-Ram

Liverpool recalled him.

There is no way we would send him back before a new player was in.

E.g. Bent / best.

....and especially not just before we play Forest.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I refuse to believe that we wanted to send Ibe back. 

IF we had someone better coming in, we still wouldn't send him back first, and so rushed at that. We would do what we did with Best and Bent. Best not getting it done, so bring in Bent, then send Best back. 

BIG difference. Derby cut Best loan short / Liverpool re-call Ibe. Think your getting yourself over exicted a tad with spending 3.5m too. 

Probably loan in another player, they have been great at that in the past 12 months, sure they had a few people to call on!

McClaren is on record as saying that he felt the best thing was for Ibe to stay. He is also on record that he was offered a 'big money' signed in the summer but said that he would wait and see for January. I assume that he meant 'if we are the top three in January'. He is also on record as saying that we would look to loans in this window. When Warnock came up he said that he could not turn it down. Other Clubs know that derby are going for it so agents will make Derby a lot of offers. McClaren will judge them on merit and take them if appropriate. Steve will get another winger otherwise his fourth winger is Calero and we do not know if he thinks that Calero is ready. Mcclaren likes four wingers at his disposal so I think he will replace Ibe with a high profile loan. In addition if someone is offered in the last two days, I think that Steve would not hesitate to pay

We now have eleven league games with only Bournemouth out of the top six to play. This is the key section of the season. We need an unbeaten run and a draw against Bournemouth would be fine. We have the players to do the job with the exception of another winger..

i think it was always the case that the board would've backed Nigel in January if there were signs of promotion challenge. There never was, so there never was backing. Last January was just too soon for McClaren, and he himself frequently said publicly that Derby were not in the promotion race, but were just working hard to improve. It could be that the money will be spread out over several signings. BUT, my gut instinct (and nothing else) tells me that the club think that once promoted, every player's value will increase to a customer like Derby. If they can sign a player for the Premier League now, they'll do it.

I agree with Mostyn,if they can get players they feel will add to the squad for the prem, then now is the time to buy, not just because it adds to the chance we will be promoted, but also because that feeding frenzy for players in the summer window pushes up players value beyond stupid....

So I hope to see another face or two before feb :)

Even if it's on loan with a view...

Archived