Do we need another winger?

condor

What's the point of taking a man on? Does it benefit anyone? It's only of value if there's end product, and with Ibe, the end product was minimal. So no, we won't miss him as much as people think.

I agree with you there that Ibe's end product was patchy at times, but simply the fact that he was prepared (and able) to run at defences and take players on has value in itself, in that it pegs the opposition full back back towards their goal, and gives their wide player some defending to do in support of the full back. If they know our wide man has pace and ability to drive forward, it means they're less likely to venture up the pitch themselves.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like a player that can unlock a door like Ibe could. When teams set up for a 0-0 and sit deep, he seemed to be the only player that could unlock the defence with his close control and trickery. 

Ibe going back has been on the cards for some time, so I would be flabbergasted if SM hadn't put a backup plan in place.  

Ibe was the exact type of player this team needed.

A player whom when the passing and intricate play simply wasn't working, we could pass the ball out to him and just go "there you go Jordon, do something" and whether it came off or not he would make something happen, and scare their defence into double or triple teaming him. He would frighten the opposition.

Without a doubt we need another winger. Do you think we'll try and splash the cash and bring someone senior in, rather than another youth loan? It seems like we're rolling the dice in terms of getting us over that promotion line.

That is an interesting question... does it bring forward a possible Prem target, or do we simply try get another loan?

That is an interesting question... does it bring forward a possible Prem target, or do we simply try get another loan?

I'd like to think we already have a plan and list of targets for if we get promoted, and this would include a couple of wingers. So it wouldn't surprise me if Evans is looking at that list now and making a couple of enquiries. It would be a gamble, but it might just make the difference.

Of course the other point is do we have the pull to get a premiership quality player to come down a level for half a season. Bent was a huge statement and I think this would cement some confidence in possible candidates.

I'd like to think we already have a plan and list of targets for if we get promoted, and this would include a couple of wingers. So it wouldn't surprise me if Evans is looking at that list now and making a couple of enquiries. It would be a gamble, but it might just make the difference.

Of course the other point is do we have the pull to get a premiership quality player to come down a level for half a season. Bent was a huge statement and I think this would cement some confidence in possible candidates.

When you see us signing the likes of Bent, likely Albentosa too and keeping all the players we have and having Ibe play so well that Liverpool wanted him back, it does make us look an attractive bet

I agree. A Premier league loan. A young player that isn't quite the finished article, but is eager to prove themselves and will have fire in their belly. 

It won't have gone unnoticed that Wisdom came here, did great, now plays in the Premier League. Ibe came here, did great, and is now back at Liverpool. If I was a young United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs player, I would be banging on the gaffers door trying to get a loan to Derby. 

I agree. A Premier league loan. A young player that isn't quite the finished article, but is eager to prove themselves and will have fire in their belly. 

It won't have gone unnoticed that Wisdom came here, did great, now plays in the Premier League. Ibe came here, did great, and is now back at Liverpool. If I was a young United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs player, I would be banging on the gaffers door trying to get a loan to Derby.

Hmm. Bamford came here, did (quite) well, went to Boro and now plays in front of 17,000 empty seats every other week.

Depends if we keep Coutts I'd say, he looked more effective when moved to the right against Southport so think his best chance to get in the team is in one of those positions if one of the others underperforms. Maybe we could keep him to the end of the season at least to see how he goes as some of the players in those positions aren't always the most consistent (barring Russell at the mo).

Archived