Barker

condor

What's the latest on his progress? Horrific injury to suffer. Sadly at 32, I don't see him playing for us again. I'm not even sure if there has ever been a set date for when he was supposed to come back?

I was having this conversation earlier with friends who seemed reluctant to accept that it's likely he won't play again. When you Dislocate your kneecap and tear every major ligament you are lucky to be able to walk properly again let alone make your living in professional sport. I know we all wish him the best whatever happens though.

I would love him to stay on in some defensive coaching capacity though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the latest on his progress? Horrific injury to suffer. Sadly at 32, I don't see him playing for us again. I'm not even sure if there has ever been a set date for when he was supposed to come back?

I was having this conversation earlier with friends who seemed reluctant to accept that it's likely he won't play again. When you Dislocate your kneecap and tear every major ligament you are lucky to be able to walk properly again let alone make your living in professional sport. I know we all wish him the best whatever happens though.

I would love him to stay on in some defensive coaching capacity though.

Why?

Why?

Well maybe not as a defensive coach but I would love to see him doing something at some capacity at Derby because he was such a good player. And the club has stuck by him throughout his rehabilitation when other clubs may have let him go.

Well maybe not as a defensive coach but I would love to see him doing something at some capacity at Derby because he was such a good player. And the club has stuck by him throughout his rehabilitation when other clubs may have let him go.

I wouldn't say he was much more than an average Championship centre half. He probably looked good because he had his best season when others around him were pretty awful. His pace was deserting him even prior to his injury.

I see him as a player who Derby have been very loyal too and one who has been a bit of a drain on our fairly limited wage structure.

I will be glad when his contract runs out and we can rid him of his ties to DCFC. Even when he's fully fit, I don't see a place for him in our squad, let alone our first eleven. 

Here we go again. He is training with the u21's has scored a goal or two in training. Also doing plenty of one on one tackles. His wife tweeted this to me 6 days ago:

he's training with the U21's and hoping to only be a couple of weeks off playing a training match with them! #gobarker

It's hard to see SM putting him in any meaningful games this season. He's been out for a long time and he's not exactly a spring chicken now. A regular in the reserves would be a very good start it seems.

Oddly I'd actually like to see him leave... Loved the guy and think he was a great servant to the club (on and off the pitch)... But would like to see him get to a point where he can play football again... just not sure he'd be able to do it at our level... So would like to see him go off to Burton or Chesterfield and get another season under his belt...

That said - if we've won the league with a game to go, there could be no better way to go out than to come on as a sub for the last 10 minutes to a standing ovation and then lift the trophy as club captain!

But that would be awesome!

I wouldn't say he was much more than an average Championship centre half. He probably looked good because he had his best season when others around him were pretty awful. His pace was deserting him even prior to his injury.

I see him as a player who Derby have been very loyal too and one who has been a bit of a drain on our fairly limited wage structure.

I will be glad when his contract runs out and we can rid him of his ties to DCFC. Even when he's fully fit, I don't see a place for him in our squad, let alone our first eleven.

Pace isn't everything in football, I can think of many players who didn't have any pace that had very good careers. Also his best time in the team was when he was playing next to Shackell, and if Clough went into games wanting to win them instead of not wanting to lose them we could have got into the play offs that season, so doesn't quite fit in with your agenda.

So are you saying we should have let him go when it was obvious how long he was going to be out for? What message do you think that would have sent out to players that would want to join us? Not a good one.

Pace isn't everything in football, I can think of many players who didn't have any pace that had very good careers. Also his best time in the team was when he was playing next to Shackell, and if Clough went into games wanting to win them instead of not wanting to lose them we could have got into the play offs that season, so doesn't quite fit in with your agenda.

So are you saying we should have let him go when it was obvious how long he was going to be out for? What message do you think that would have sent out to players that would want to join us? Not a good one.

I agree pace isn't everything and I too can think of any great players who didn't have pace. Barker just isn't one of them.

Stop changing my post to suit your agenda. I have neither said nor implied that we should have let him go. I am merely stating that paying a players salary when that player is one of the top earners and is not playing and isn't likely too, is a drain on our resources.

I also cannot agree that Clough would have got into the play offs had he changed his tactics. He did a fine job with what he had.

I admire the club in the way they have stood behind Barker but I am a fan and I want them to have the best playing squad available. What I don't want to happen is us having to pay a very high salary to a player that cannot offer us anything on the pitch.

I agree pace isn't everything and I too can think of any great players who didn't have pace. Barker just isn't one of them.

Stop changing my post to suit your agenda. I have neither said nor implied that we should have let him go. I am merely stating that paying a players salary when that player is one of the top earners and is not playing and isn't likely too, is a drain on our resources.

I also cannot agree that Clough would have got into the play offs had he changed his tactics. He did a fine job with what he had.

I admire the club in the way they have stood behind Barker but I am a fan and I want them to have the best playing squad available. What I don't want to happen is us having to pay a very high salary to a player that cannot offer us anything on the pitch.

So what did you mean when you said

I will be glad when his contract runs out and we can rid him of his ties to DCFC.

We renewed his contract whilst he was injured. He would have been out of contract a year ago if Clough didn't give him a new one.

Of course you disagree that Clough could not got us into the playoffs if he changed his tactics. He could do no wrong, could he.

Archived