Singing

Andy J

Must start by confessing I only get to 1 or 2 games each season as I serve abroad, but at the Wigan game I was quite disappointed how we were just completely quiet for about the last 20-30 minutes.

Obviously the lads weren't playing well and there was only one team that looked like they might win - but surely that's when we NEED to be vocal? Especially now the club has finally seen sense to give us the South Stand. Did the drummer lose his sticks? Where was Rammie?

Agreed, the team weren't exactly doing much to excite the supporters, but we all just seemed totally silent, more nervous chattering and chuntering than trying to get behind the lads. It's easy to sing when we're winning...

To have that bus-load from Wigan taking the p**s out of us was really embarrassing.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must start by confessing I only get to 1 or 2 games each season as I serve abroad, but at the Wigan game I was quite disappointed how we were just completely quiet for about the last 20-30 minutes.

Obviously the lads weren't playing well and there was only one team that looked like they might win - but surely that's when we NEED to be vocal? Especially now the club has finally seen sense to give us the South Stand. Did the drummer lose his sticks? Where was Rammie?

Agreed, the team weren't exactly doing much to excite the supporters, but we all just seemed totally silent, more nervous chattering and chuntering than trying to get behind the lads. It's easy to sing when we're winning...

To have that bus-load from Wigan taking the p**s out of us was really embarrassing.

B4 went for a wee after 30 mins and we lost our way.. Won't happen again.

It's a not uninteresting topic this. I don't go to enough home games to vouch for the current atmosphere, but when I do I do often come away a bit underwhelmed. However, Tuesday night in Fulham was interesting. StevoStimac said that night how different the fans were first compared to second half. Understandable in many ways, but between Fulham's first and second goals you could almost hear a pin drop. Whilst a few, like Stevo and I, did try to get some community singing going, it was falling on deaf ears when arguable that was the time the players needed us most. Not sure if you are a WUM Andy, but if you aren't welcome to the forum and thank you for (presumably your armed) service abroad.

You make a good point. I get fed up of hearing about how great a team's set of fans have been for making a load of noise despite being completely out of the game (like Forest at our ground last year..)

It's far more important to get behind the side whilst there's still a chance of influencing the result, as opposed to enjoying yourselves simply because you've given up hope. Forest were silent last year until they were 4-0 down, and then they piped up.

Completely agree that we're poor at home if we're either losing or not winning after 20-30 mins.

I'd be interested to know if that's typical of other teams because I imagine it is. Home support are much less forgiving and armchairy.

I did notice there was little to no drumming on Saturday, however.

Most teams' fans do sing better away than at home, as that proportion are generally a little more 'fanatical' (and therefore verbal) than the majority of the home crowd - I'm the same when I get chance to watch us away.

That loud music before kick-off doesn't exactly help either, pointless trying to make yourselves heard over the top of that.

I don't go to enough home games to vouch for the current atmosphere, but when I do I do often come away a bit underwhelmed. 

Same here, i-Ram, and no, I'm not a WUM...

Archived