Biggest threat this season

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe no one has suggested the board. Have we become believers ? :D

I assume McClaren will be allowed to strengthen in January if we need it? Wouldn't be surprised if Shotton was made permanent like we did we Dawkins, then we have another loan free if we need it. Thought for ages we needed a commanding centre back but our defense recently has changed my mind. If anything I'd love to see Best go back and get in a decent back up striker, we've been crying out for another Bamford type.

An injury to Chris Martin is our biggest threat

He is irreplaceable in the squad, but getting proper cover for him is nigh on impossible - anyone good enough to fill his boots won't want to be warming our bench all season. We can't get a PL kid as their clubs won't allow them to come with little chance of game time. We could bring in somebody who is better than Martin, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to quadruple our record ever transfer fee at present. The only option is an out of favour lump - like Leon Best, and we all know how that works!

He is irreplaceable in the squad, but getting proper cover for him is nigh on impossible - anyone good enough to fill his boots won't want to be warming our bench all season. We can't get a PL kid as their clubs won't allow them to come with little chance of game time. We could bring in somebody who is better than Martin, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to quadruple our record ever transfer fee at present. The only option is an out of favour lump - like Leon Best, and we all know how that works!

Bamford came without the promise of first team football, although his role was slightly different, I'm saying we could get a decent young striker that wouldn't have to start every game. Maybe not a player like James Wilson but I like Isaiah Brown.

What about Kwane Thomas? Seems to be doing well with England u20's, and Bennett could always be useful if he gets game time with the u21s. Wouldn't be like randomly moving a 16 year old from the academy into the squad, he's played a similar role briefly on the subs bench before.

I'm pretty confident Beat won't ever score a goal for us. I'm quite happy for people to hold me that that too.

Beat me to it...this is indeed our biggest threat. We don't have a replacement and if he gets injured the plan will have to change. Just watching him look around the pitch, direct all those around him, make the run, bring a player into play, take the ball, hold of the defence, play a deft 1-2 and score...it's just magic. If we're still top in January I'd expect to see some decent money spent on more quality to mitigate any injuries in our attack.

Beat me to it...this is indeed our biggest threat. We don't have a replacement and if he gets injured the plan will have to change. Just watching him look around the pitch, direct all those around him, make the run, bring a player into play, take the ball, hold of the defence, play a deft 1-2 and score...it's just magic. If we're still top in January I'd expect to see some decent money spent on more quality to mitigate any injuries in our attack.

well we did try, but Burnley decided to overspend on more 'top prem quality' :D

Archived