Have you got a football mistress ?

Normanton End

Some super comments and memories on this thread!

Worked at Preston in the mid - 1960s (B.R.), and whilst there Shrewsbury and Carlisle drew each other in the FA Cup. It went to a second replay and Deepdale was a logical neutral venue for the decider. The game fluctuated widely, and fittingly ended in a high scoring 4 v 3 to Carlisle after extra time, an absolutely brilliant game for the neutral!

Only downside was that I had gone along to watch Peter Dolby (an Old Bemrosian) who played centre half for Shrewsbury, but the upside was that I gained two "mistresses" that night! I still look for their results 50 years later.

More recently I have taken an interest in the fortunes of Ross County in the SPL, Maritimao (Funchal , Madeira - nice ground), and for a while Fenland village team Parson Drove, who took Southern League scalps in the FA Trophy before going down by the odd goal to Burton Albion at Peel Croft.

But like all posters, none will ever rival DCFC for me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can change your car ,your house ,your wife but never your football team .I am Derby fan first ,second etc ,etc. If I was the best striker in the world [and I am not] I would want to play for Derby and no other club regardless.

Until any other club in the world came and offered you a massive cheque then you would be off in a shot.

Personally If Derby didnt exist I would support Sheff United, a proper football club with a proper ground etc etc....I have also always liked Leeds United...and Juventus...how about that for all the oldies on here.!

Until any other club in the world came and offered you a massive cheque then you would be off in a shot.

Personally If Derby didnt exist I would support Sheff United, a proper football club with a proper ground etc etc....I have also always liked Leeds United...and Juventus...how about that for all the oldies on here.!

No mate unconditionally, I would not want to play for another team that's my point .No matter what league Derby was in or what offer came along.

I'm Derby through and through and would never have a second team to support.

However, I have gone to games with friends that didn't involve us. Off the top of my head.

Coventry v Oldham

Blackburn v Leicester

Oldham v Villa

I used to love watching Man utd when Fergie was there, not so much now.

No mate unconditionally, I would not want to play for another team that's my point .No matter what league Derby was in or what offer came along.

i have had this discussion so many times, it would be your job...the choice you would have would be...playing for Barnsley and putting food on the table and clothes on your kids backs or not.......tough choice...

My clear 2nd team are AFC Wimbledon - have watched them at Kingsmeadow & own a replica shirt. That possibly is as much political in so far as I clearly picked them out rather than realising I had a soft spot for them.

Plenty of soft spots - Spurs, Sunderland, Ipswich, Carlisle, Oxford (sorry for Saunders guys!) & now, Sheffield Utd. Also Napoli, Dortmund, St Pauli, Deportivo & Athletic Bilbao.

Been to a few games down the years involving teams that just happen to be where i was living at the time. Peterborough, Southampton, Colchester.

If i had a soft spot for any other club it would be brighton on the basis i've seen them at a couple of the above with mates and they're generally decent fans who have had to endure some tough times.

But as with most, there's only one team whose scrave I would wear......

God, if I felt the same about another team as I do Derby County - I'd be a nervous wreck.  :blink:

One's enough - that goes for husbands anorl. 

Yes picked a littler team to support when I was younger which was Reading!! (at the time I thought it was pronounced Reeding! as a teacher said I was good at that subject at school, which may have been part of the reason!)

Don't watch them nowadays (apart from against Derby) or else have a great deal of interest but still have a membership number as it wasn't quite the same when they outgrew the little team status and ended up in a higher league than Derby!

My main spells of watching them were in the mid 80s when Trevor Senior was playing and around that time they won the first 13 games of one season in Division 3, ending as champions,  and then got interest rekindled after they moved to the new stadium and a few years later got promoted under Alan Pardew, though have seen the odd match here and there other times.

This year I am a Hearts fan as I have them to win the League as a bet as well as Derby!!

Apparently my great grandfather used to play in goal for Motherwell too so have a passing interest in them (have been to their ground one morning but was on a racing trip between Hamilton and Hexham overnight so didn't stay for the game itself).

Fair play is not exactly your cup of tea, is it? :p

No. Derby has always been my team. Always been my families team, think a great uncle may have played as a goalkeeper in the 1920's, I'll find out who it is. There's only ever been Derby, not just for me, but for my entire family.

I also follow results of certain foreign teams whose games I've seen while living/travelling there - Twente, Roma, Nice, Hannover 96, Uerdingen.

I also saw Barcelona win a league match 5-0 at the Camp Nou aswell but funnily enough I haven't bothered with them as much as the others. Probably cos they're so successful - as a Rams fan I wouldn't know how to handle that  :rolleyes:

I also follow results of certain foreign teams whose games I've seen while living/travelling there - Twente, Roma, Nice, Hannover 96, Uerdingen.

I also saw Barcelona win a league match 5-0 at the Camp Nou aswell but funnily enough I haven't bothered with them as much as the others. Probably cos they're so successful - as a Rams fan I wouldn't know how to handle that  :rolleyes:

I support AS Roma, have done since Uni days where my best bum chum (Italian) was mad for Roma. Started by just watching their games on a stream wth him, to a shirt, to going over to Rome and then the rest is history. Ashamed to say but "Roma Roma Roma" against Lazio is the most awe inspiring moment of my football fandom. Simply amazing.

Forza Roma!

No. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to support another team, it'd be either Arsenal - some of my family support them - or Woking - local team. I don't support a team abroad but have always felt an allegiance to one team in the big foreign rivalries - Milan over Inter, Real over Bar

Archived