Have you got a football mistress ?

Normanton End

No I don't have a mistress in football, there are teams I have a soft spot for, but nobody I would want to watch.

In the 80's one of my mates was a red dog but I got him to come and see Derby a few times. He was a season ticket holder at the shitty ground with is dad. When his old man was away on his holidays, this mate asked me if I would go with him to watch the gumps as he'd been to watch Derby with me. only fair you could say, so I agreed, but I was being eaten away from inside, couldn't sleep. I had to ring him up and say sorry but it was not an option, will not be happening, not never  please never ask me again. end of

So only one team for me D.C.F.C

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have soft spots for Burton and Man City, I was born in Burton and my Mums side of the family are all City fans, so I keep an eye out for both of those teams results, although it doesn't bother me if they lose, win or draw. 
I was also a regular at FC Seoul over the last few years while I was living in Korea; it was impossible to get as excited about their results and team as it is about Derby but I enjoyed having football to attend on a regular basis while it was impossible to get to Derby matches.

Ahhhhh one of my favourite games too. If its the one Im thinking of its the " Lawrie Maddon " match.

With ten mins to go we are losing 2-1 and the tannoy announces " Wolverhampton Wanderers Man of the Match..Lawwwriiiiie Maaaaaddon"...

This was followed by Lawrie scoring an own goal AND giving a penalty away and the Rams fans leaving the stadium singing " one Lawrie Maddon..there's only one Lawrie Maddon"!!

Brilliant. That the game you are on about?

It might well be. I was only young and can't remember the maddon chat. Can't be many games we've won at wolves 3-2 with two late goals.

I'll go watch Mickleover Sports if it doesn't clash with Derby, because it's important to support grass roots. 

Few close friends over in America are Seattle Sounders fans, so I follow them a bit too.

Overall, I love watching football. MLS is handy in that long summer period in odd years with no international tournaments.

The idea of having a second team seems only to have taken off in recent years. When asked, I say my second team is derby reserves

Went to a Blackpool vs some lower league outfit game once while on a weekend on the piss there. bored as **** by the whole experience. Otherwise, never been confused.

I went to Sixfields the other week to see them play Burton Albion.

Never again. Horrible ground, horrible fans, horrible standard of football. Brewers fans made a decent noise, but offered a pathetic version of "since I was young".

My dad seriously flirted with Norwich when he moved there in the 1980s and got a season ticket - thank fook he came home.

I haven't even got a local team to follow now Kettering Town's folded. It's all rugby unfortunately.

I have been fortunate enough to live around the globe a bit through the years. I simply love live sport and have taken myself off to watch football matches where ever I am living or visiting.

Through the years you could have found me watching Hannover 96 v Borrusia Munchengladbach, Aldershot Town v Notts County, New York Cosmos v Minnesota Kicks, Rangers v Partick Thistle, Djurgarden v Helsingborg, Wednesfield Social v Witton Albion... Seen some fab games and much more dross but I love the atmosphere, the being involved and going along. But as much as I love the sport and visitng grounds around the planet I can never get warmth, panic, butterflies, annoyed, euphoric like I do with Derby. Its not even much fun being a real fan of your own club. Vast majority of it is heartbreak. Its usually horrible. So no...I like to look but have never considered cheating. Im a Ram. 100%. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health..till death do us part!

However...Im a huge Rugby League fan and I support Wigan. Been to loads of games and really am a true fan there too. The irony though.. I berate Man Utd fans for being glory hunters yet there I am falling in love with The Cherries in 80s!!

Archived