Have you got a football mistress ?

Normanton End

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I can't get to a Derby game, I usually watch Notts Forest. I guess they are my 2nd team. Or perhaps Leeds, I enjoy seeing them win. I rarely miss a Leicester match as I can watch the whole 90 minutes back on Foxplayer. I've always had a soft spot for Millwall, Cardiff and Chelsea and my current London mistress is Qpr. Outside of football, my real mistress is a lady I pay twice a week to hammer nails into my nether regions.

When I can't get to a Derby game, I usually watch Notts Forest. I guess they are my 2nd team. Or perhaps Leeds, I enjoy seeing them win. I rarely miss a Leicester match as I can watch the whole 90 minutes back on Foxplayer. I've always had a soft spot for Millwall, Cardiff and Chelsea and my current London mistress is Qpr. Outside of football, my real mistress is a lady I pay twice a week to hammer nails into my nether regions.

I felt outraged at the first line, lol..

In my younger days, if Derby weren't playing or we couldn't get to the game, we'd go to a local game - Belper, Burton, Chesterfield, Notts (never Forest!) and still follow their results today.

In the context of mistresses, I now feel like I had waited until the good lady was out of town and then cats away, mice will play stuff.

I feel like a bad, bad boy now :-(

It's weird saying that. I used to play Champ manager and Fifa etc. Got used to all the quality players on there like Crespo etc. When Chelsea brought the world I started counting them as my second team. The same with Man City.. Being my 3rd team.

Glory supporting or what huh lol. I guess it's the quality of european players they bring in it's like I want them to do well in the BPL!

It could have been so different for me. Started supporting the Rams in 69 but lived in Hereford (long story). Whilst over the next couple of years we did ok, i know I had a couple of wobbles because I wasn't able to go to a home match, and we had a boring kit. I wanted some Colour (Wolves), Stripes (Newcastle) and Hoops (Celtic) in my life. Football was different for a lad then with no media alternatives. Fortunately I got through a dodgy 2 years and by 1971 realised white shirts might be boring, but not when you had Hector, Hinton and O'hare wearing them. Happy innocent days. It all went a bit sausage pear shaped a few years later, but hey ho. That's football.

Not quite a second team as you mention it but I often have a 'Premier League team', that I will want to win.  For many years this was Spurs while Huddlestone was there.  Currently it is Southampton (despite the abuse we got in the Play Off semi away leg) as I feel they are a model for what a well run club can achieve.

You are joking, but I would suggest to you that it would be an interesting and rewarding experience to support one of those teams.

Take Leeds, for example. Pretend to yourself that you have always liked them. Get into the history of the club. Read the player's biographies and autobiographies. Watch the games from the Revie era on Youtube. Everyone hated them but they were a terrific team. Start reading the Yorkshire Post instead of the Derby Evening Telegraph. Imagine that you live in the Yorkshire Dales and you catch a bus into Leeds every other Saturday. When you know a bit about Leeds then go on their messageboards and pretend to be a Leeds fan. Soon something strange will happen. You will begin to feel what it is like to be a Leeds fan. It's good to see something from another person's view. They say that when you learn to speak a foreign language you become a different person. Something similar happens when you support a different team.

When I used to go to a lot of away games I never stood with the Rams fans. I liked to stand with the opposition fans and listen to their conversations. I can still remember many of the things I heard.

I have seen a few teams in europe over the years Real/Atletico Madrid/Barca/Espanyol/ Ajax/Roma/Lazio/Majorca/Valencia and have a soft spot for Atletico . I only support the Rams tho :)

We're going to see Borussia Dortmund in a few months. One of my lifelong ambitions is to be part of the 'yellow wall' for a day.

We're going to see Borussia Dortmund in a few months. One of my lifelong ambitions is to be part of the 'yellow wall' for a day.

You will enjoy it. It is probably the loudest stadium in europe. The fans are really nice as well. What they do before the game is incredible

When I was four or five, I would tell my friends that I supported Blackburn Rovers. I really admired the way that Arsenal played football in the early 00s to the point that I coerced my Dad into buying me an Arsenal shirt with Henry on the back one Christmas and even now I often wear a Zenit scarf that my students bought me as a gift. So I guess I've flirted with the idea.

But everyone knows where my heart is - crying my eyes out on the walk home from Pride Park after we lost to Preston in the play-offs and missing a family holiday in Cornwall to go to Wembley in 2007 and more recently forcing my students to watch footage of the Real Madrid win to see if they could comprehend Barry Davies' commentary.

This was after we watched Arsenal: the Invincibles collection on DVD, of course.  ;)  :D  :lol:

I have been fortunate enough to live around the globe a bit through the years. I simply love live sport and have taken myself off to watch football matches where ever I am living or visiting.

Through the years you could have found me watching Hannover 96 v Borrusia Munchengladbach, Aldershot Town v Notts County, New York Cosmos v Minnesota Kicks, Rangers v Partick Thistle, Djurgarden v Helsingborg, Wednesfield Social v Witton Albion... Seen some fab games and much more dross but I love the atmosphere, the being involved and going along. But as much as I love the sport and visitng grounds around the planet I can never get warmth, panic, butterflies, annoyed, euphoric like I do with Derby. Its not even much fun being a real fan of your own club. Vast majority of it is heartbreak. Its usually horrible. So no...I like to look but have never considered cheating. Im a Ram. 100%. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health..till death do us part!

However...Im a huge Rugby League fan and I support Wigan. Been to loads of games and really am a true fan there too. The irony though.. I berate Man Utd fans for being glory hunters yet there I am falling in love with The Cherries in 80s!!

I have a couple of mistresses, but the feeling towards them does not even compare to watching Derby. I get excited when Derby attack, delighted when we score, and when we concede I feel as though my goldfish has just died.

I have been to watch one of my mistresses get relegated (on two occasions) and to be honest I couldn't really give a toss.

DCFC the team for me  :D

You are joking, but I would suggest to you that it would be an interesting and rewarding experience to support one of those teams.

Take Leeds, for example. Pretend to yourself that you have always liked them. Get into the history of the club. Read the player's biographies and autobiographies. Watch the games from the Revie era on Youtube. Everyone hated them but they were a terrific team. Start reading the Yorkshire Post instead of the Derby Evening Telegraph. Imagine that you live in the Yorkshire Dales and you catch a bus into Leeds every other Saturday. When you know a bit about Leeds then go on their messageboards and pretend to be a Leeds fan. Soon something strange will happen. You will begin to feel what it is like to be a Leeds fan. It's good to see something from another person's view. They say that when you learn to speak a foreign language you become a different person. Something similar happens when you support a different team.

When I used to go to a lot of away games I never stood with the Rams fans. I liked to stand with the opposition fans and listen to their conversations. I can still remember many of the things I heard.

You sound like a love rat making excuses to his mates why he keeps doing the dirty on the missus.

In the heat of the moment, people will 'hate' and worse. But most of it is rivalry and banter (pre-malky). I don't come from east mids so hardly ever known any forest fans. Know plenty of wolves fans though and love winding them up when we beat them/are doing better than them.

My first games was with the Wolves fans at their place in early 90s. We were losing with about ten mins left and won 3-2. One of my fave ever games.

Ahhhhh one of my favourite games too. If its the one Im thinking of its the " Lawrie Maddon " match.

With ten mins to go we are losing 2-1 and the tannoy announces " Wolverhampton Wanderers Man of the Match..Lawwwriiiiie Maaaaaddon"...

This was followed by Lawrie scoring an own goal AND giving a penalty away and the Rams fans leaving the stadium singing " one Lawrie Maddon..there's only one Lawrie Maddon"!!

Brilliant. That the game you are on about?

Archived