Does McClaren have a selection dilemma.

Curtains

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does now.

I'd drop Ibe for the next game, couldn't believe how much he gave the ball away. I'd start Dawkins.

Forsyth has been average the last couple of games, but there's no other alternative.

Whitbread got torn apart by Mcmanaman and played very negatively too, constantly passing backwards.

Thought it was unfair not to consider Mascarell after having a really good game against Blackpool, despite the goal (against the run of play), he did give the ball away a few times. I accept that Eustace is McClarens first choice while Thorne is injured we do have a player from the current Champions League winners on loan not getting many starts, I would be frustrated if I was him. Hope he proves himself.

Russell, Butland, Keogh all had very good games.

Re Butland yes he looked confident for most of the game with some fine saves but he should have done better with what was one of the tamer shots leading up to the second goal when he pushed it out to their forward (resulting in the scramble which ended with a goal). That said Grant did the same twice at Reading and got away with it both times.

He seemed uneasy with the building from the back process too, most of his throws out were to a player with a man up his backside plus he overhit virtually every long kick he attempted straight into touch. Surely it would be better to kick it down the middle rather than do that again and again but presume those were his instructions.

Unless he can kick better than that not sure he will be such a great asset as all it does is give away possession and kills momentum.

Forsyths distribution been the one of the most disappointing aspects of the season when compared to his attacking play last season, hasn't performed anywhere near that level in the opposite half of the pitch.

Ibe looks like he will be an in and out performer, too many off days for him to be a regular starter, as inbetween the odd flash he does very little and offers no defensive cover either.

Wouldn't play Whitbread in home games as he prefers very short passes which often puts team mates under the kosh or else he turns back to the keeper and stems the attacking flow of the team.

Agree we missed Thorne greatly in a game like this today against Wigan.

Archived