Just a job

Normanton End

Before Blackpool game I shouted "chris" and held a pen in air. Chris Martin came over to sign autograph for my daughter. We were behind goal in Blackpool end and he was chatty, asked if little,one was ok. And said we had picked a bad day for her first ever game, she was made up..even more so when he rammed the winner home with us sat on our own on front row behind the goal .

He made our day.

Phil Gee loves chatting about his footy days. Had him do some decorating a few years back. When he worked for Michael Goodall's his co workers could often be heard singing "Philip Gee, Philip gee, scoring goals for Derby Philip Gee". Must be hard decorating inside new build houses, hearing a footy song from when he was a top player ( I can never forget his winner at home vs arsenal...a true screamer as he fell backwards )

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My missus had our first baby and there was some minor complications so they had to stay in Northampton General Hospital for a week or so after the birth. The lady in the bed next to her turned out to be then Northampton Town striker Jamie Forrester's wife Mandy. My wife whispered to me who she was, half impressed. A short time later Marco Gabbiadini visited. I lost all interest in my first baby and just watched Marco. I didn't approach him or speak to him, didn't tell him that I was a Derby fan who had loved him and used to purposely get my football shirt muddy as soon as I could to be like him. I just smiled and nodded at him as he left. I decided to leave him be and not sing "ole ole ole Marco Marco". I do wish I'd asked him to sign my baby though.

I used to collect Rams players autographs ex and current.When I was taxi driving (Manchester airport) I called at Franny Lee`s mansion he signed some photos and chatted about his Derby days .Once went to Brian Cloughs house when he lived in Quarndon he even gave me a signed book when I thanked him and told him I already had one he said"Well youv`e got two now young man".Called at Colin Boultons he went and fetched his Championsip and Charity shield medals to show.As long as you are polite I dont think its a big deal.

The only player to refuse was Mark Wallington at Notts Arena during a past masters tournament he just said no and turned his back. 

what do you have mate?

Nothing much mate. Just two signed photos from Ebay. One of Buxton and one of Hughes. Also, a signed mini-ball signed by the 2011-2012 team.  I also have wanted to get a signed shirt, but the cheapest I have found costs around $200. Do not really want to pay that much for it. Then again, not sure how much cheaper I could really find it.  Perhaps you could get one autographed for me and sent here?  Shipping would not be that much to the States I think...   ;)

I have them locked up right now at my Dad's house in his safe.  Until I finish remodeling my 'mancave' with a collectibles cabinet, I just want to keep them safe, along with some other sports collectibles I have (Washington Redskins, Carolina basketball, etc.)

I worked at Trent Yeast extract in Burton at the time Cloughie signed Toddy.

Tony Bailey's (look him up if you must,) dad,Stan was a workmate.

He agreed to get my little brother' s DCFC yearbook signed by the staff and players.

It is now a treasured possession.

When I enlisted in the civil service I was based on Osmaston Road, and regularly saw Cloughie, and often Roy Mac (usually on crutches!).

I frequently had a lunch at the Salad Bowl and often most of the team would come in and eat.

I certainly didn't play the awestruck fan and have to pester them. They were a group of lads like any other. No one clustered around them for autographs or photographs.

Great memories and things to bore the pants off younger generations of fans, but definitely not embarrassing to look back on.

Oh BTW they cared enough to win the League lest you knew not!

Used to go to the old awards nights at Baileys Night Club where the players and management mixed with the fans. Obviously they had to attend  but my memories are of them being chilled out, having a few beers, signing autographs and posing for photo's all night.

I've still got some old photo's of Colin Addison, Gerry Daly and Alan Biley amongst others, at these do's. 

This was acceptable because it was a proper club do and the players were working as such.

Daveo and his family sound like stalkers tbh.

Archived