Where would we be now with Nigel still in charge?

What a great forum this is. Never, ever, fails to bring out the same old anti Clough bods. Is there an "alert" button in the system for them I wonder?

Those of us who had a lot of time for NC tend to be a little more far-sighted I feel. He left the Club with a good squad and SM has taken it onwards. What's wrong with that? Nothing.

Nothing is wrong with it. Nothing wrong with debating it either.

Jim Smith was a hero for me and he did many good things at this club. Doesn't mean I can't also look back his tenure and wished he'd done things differently and even criticise some aspects.

Why is Nigel Clough immune to criticism? I've heard some United fans criticising aspects of Sir Alex Ferguson's reign and leaving them in a bad state when he left.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Smith was a hero for me and he did many good things at this club. Doesn't mean I can't also look back his tenure and wished he'd done things differently and even criticise some aspects.

Why is Nigel Clough immune to criticism? I've heard some United fans criticising aspects of Sir Alex Ferguson's reign and leaving them in a bad state when he left.

The only thing I will say is the clue is in the surname.

Onwards and upwards and all that shizzle

The conclusion is even the Clough lovers can't bring themselves to defend that list of signings!

Your list has no credibility. You have missed out every one of the current squad that Clough recruited on permanent contracts; many of whom have been given extended contracts by McClaren. It is OK debating these things but as soon as I see your name and one or two others pop up, I know I am just going to read the same old, same old. Bit boring really and time to add a bit of maturity to your posts.

Your list has no credibility. You have missed out every one of the current squad that Clough recruited on permanent contracts; many of whom have been given extended contracts by McClaren. It is OK debating these things but as soon as I see your name and one or two others pop up, I know I am just going to read the same old, same old. Bit boring really and time to add a bit of maturity to your posts.

My post was a direct response to someone claiming that Clough never made any bad signings.

In the interests of balance and fairness I listed a number of players that I and probably most fans would consider bad signings.

The post wasn't meant to be a full assessment of all Cloughs signings otherwise I would have included the current players.

My post was a direct response to someone claiming that Clough never made any bad signings.

In the interests of balance and fairness I listed a number of players that I and probably most fans would consider bad signings.

The post wasn't meant to be a full assessment of all Cloughs signings otherwise I would have included the current players.

Really?? Where??

Although I dont think he could've taken us any further and tactically he was holding back some fine play from good players, I still feel sorry for a guy who was recruited to 'stabilise' and reduce outgoings etc, only to see his team given to someone else.

The proof is in the pudding that SM has and will continue to take us further. But I do pity his fruitless endeavours on a personal note.

Not sure we would've made the play offs.

Certainly wouldn't have signed Thorne

Doubt we would've come back from 4 goals to draw with Ipswich.

We'd now be winning 3 (in style) drawing 2, losing 4...and repeat.

Who says Nigel Clough is immune from criticism? He made some howlers. He didn't learn too quickly either.

McLaren has made mistakes too. It's the human touch. All managers make mistakes. You know that. I'm not too surprised that a few question Ferguson's time of departure to be honest. Of course that doesn't make him a bad manager. It seems he knew when it was a good time to leave. Some fans will always want a moan.

That's not the issue I have with the Clough bashers. I wonder why these people just concentrate on negatives? You won't see them list all of the excellent Clough signings as well as the "*****" to balance it out. If McLaren is happy to play a significant number of players who were present when he arrived, that suggests that he was fairly pleased with the squad he inherited. He's said as much. That's no good to the Basher Boys though. They have a "thing" about Clough that extends way beyond the normal level of criticism. It's just personal attack after attack. Some even extend it to players he brought in. And of course, he did say "Err" a lot at the start of a sentence.. :rolleyes:

I think there are some excellent posters on this Forum.  I enjoy reading what they have to say even if I don't agree with some of it. There are others who don't fall into that category.

Only thing I can really say with any certainty is that Sam Rush wouldn't be here. He and Clough clearly could not have any sort of working relationship together - so if Clough got the board's full backing, I think Rush would have found another job.

Who says Nigel Clough is immune from criticism? He made some howlers. He didn't learn too quickly either.

McLaren has made mistakes too. It's the human touch. All managers make mistakes. You know that. I'm not too surprised that a few question Ferguson's time of departure to be honest. Of course that doesn't make him a bad manager. It seems he knew when it was a good time to leave. Some fans will always want a moan.

That's not the issue I have with the Clough bashers. I wonder why these people just concentrate on negatives? You won't see them list all of the excellent Clough signings as well as the "*****" to balance it out. If McLaren is happy to play a significant number of players who were present when he arrived, that suggests that he was fairly pleased with the squad he inherited. He's said as much. That's no good to the Basher Boys though. They have a "thing" about Clough that extends way beyond the normal level of criticism. It's just personal attack after attack. Some even extend it to players he brought in. And of course, he did say "Err" a lot at the start of a sentence.. :rolleyes:

I think there are some excellent posters on this Forum.  I enjoy reading what they have to say even if I don't agree with some of it. There are others who don't fall into that category.

What a contrast though ... Brian to Nigel. One you can't stop listening to, the other you just want him to stop. Can we end this thread now and start a new one - Brian versus Nigel? 

Yes he made a lot, can't be bothered to name them all but here are a few just off the top of my head...

Sammon 1.2m

Croft free

Maguire 200k loss

Porter 400k

Tyson free

D Martin free

C Doyle free

Robinson free

Cywka free

B Davies 350k

Fielding 200k loss

Jacobs 400k

O'connor 200k

The of ***** list goes on and on to be honest. Some people with short memories seem to have forgotten about these....

The list above represents a loss of just under 3 million, lets look at some other signings,

Martin free

Fozzy free

Grant free

Buxton free

It's easy to cherry pick facts, we could all do it to support our viewpoints, my view is he did well, but wouldn't have taken us to the next level like Mac has, sad he was sacked, but pleased with where we are now.

Archived