Our loan players

Jayweb95

Grant is a very good gk and I would be just fine if he is our gk if we get promoted.As Daveo said,age is not a factor a lot of the time compared to other positions.

I mean Tim Howard is 35 and Buffon is 36 and both are arguably in top 5 gk's in the world.Is Grant as talented as them? Well no. But he is very good in his own right and deserves his spot.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently we have the maximum 5 loans in the squad. McClaren will do the same as he did last January when he signed Dawkins, and make Shotton permanent then to free up an extra slot (which we need if Martin gets injured).

I've seen nothing of Best to think he should be signed. I hope he suddenly clciks and proves me wrong, but he's never really cut it at a decent level.

It was (apparently) touch and go whether Ibe would be around the first team squd at Liverpool this season, or out with us. I was very surprised we got him for the entire season and not just until Christmas. Given they're not pulling any trees this year, he'll be back to fight for a place next season.

Butland is a proper temporary (emergency) loan and will go back. Grant has been excellent and Roos looks a decent understudy. Both continue to improve under Steele's guidance.

Mascarell is the dark horse. Unless he plays regularly I presume he'll leave. If he ends up starring as the season goes on, maybe we'll make a play for him. In the Prem, it's often two defensive midfielders together and we might want to play him alongside Thorne as a platform. And I realize I'm getting ahead of myself...

Glad it wasn't just me who got quite angry about the comment about the keepers! Jay web you say he's old.. You're forgetting Eric Steele worked with Van Der Sar at United until he was 40 and he could of carried on but decided to retire!! Grant has plenty of years in him.

I remember after the Brighton semi final Twitter was going mad over grant saying how good he was and if we got promoted he would be the David Marshall of the new season producing quality saves!

Grant is a very good gk and I would be just fine if he is our gk if we get promoted.As Daveo said,age is not a factor a lot of the time compared to other positions.

I mean Tim Howard is 35 and Buffon is 36 and both are arguably in top 5 gk's in the world.Is Grant as talented as them? Well no. But he is very good in his own right and deserves his spot.

Tim Howard in the top 5 GKs in the world? Bloody Nora, have you seen his performances this season!...

Happy to see Best go. He is sound enough in the championship and will score, eventually. but he doesn't have Martins skill. He simply wouldn't cut it in the prem. I don't think I've seen enough of Shotton to judge but at 25 he is the right age to begin seriously making a name (or not) as a defender. 

Omar is developing and I want to see more of him starting, but one thing for sure if we are to thrive rather than survive in the prem we need to unearth young players who are hungry and have a future - not buy overpriced mediocre players that are no more than recycled from the better teams in this league. The thing I am enjoying about this team is the understanding that youth is the future tempered with a few older heads to keep it steady. Old recipe that works time and again.

I love grant but mentioning him in the England team is comical.

Anyway, Shotton imo would be a great signing, Mascarell would be a good investment, if we need another winger maybe Miachi or Gnabry for Arsenal on loan or a very high bid

Mascarell is liked by Real Madrid and has signed a new contract with them .

That says how high Madrid regard the lad.

We are lucky to have Mascarell and for that matter Calero who will also be a fantastic asset to us and is on a permanent deal.

Good work by Evans.

I know curtains but from what ive seen of OMG and the current midfielders in the Real team, I don't think he could break through that team in the future without improving dramatically

He has all the assets but I agree it would be hard for any player to break into the Real Madrid team.

But he's very young and has time.

Hope he proves he's an asset for DCFC though.

Grant England's number 3, said it in other posts we are getting carried away here. We have a good team but you need to take a step back sometimes. Mascarell would probably be a better player in the prem. Calero has a lot of potential. We'll sign Shotts and Ibe will go back. What has happened to Gnabry lately, people keep eying him as a potential loan but he was first team at Arsenal at one point?

Grant England's number 3, said it in other posts we are getting carried away here. We have a good team but you need to take a step back sometimes. Mascarell would probably be a better player in the prem. Calero has a lot of potential. We'll sign Shotts and Ibe will go back. What has happened to Gnabry lately, people keep eying him as a potential loan but he was first team at Arsenal at one point?

The difference between Real Madrid and DCFC is light years.

Not getting carried away we only can sign players who are trying to prove themselves in many ways.

Tim Howard in the top 5 GKs in the world? Bloody Nora, have you seen his performances this season!...

Not even in the top 5 prem goalies!

I love grant but mentioning him in the England team is comical.

Forgetting that the 3rd goalie role is usually for developing players, what English keepers are better than Grant? ( other than Hart and Forster)

Foster and Green.....no thanks.

Ruddy, not bad but only had one decent season and certainly wouldn't swap him for Grant.

Butland, deemed good enough but not yet better than Grant?

I think my comment is just as much about the dearth of England keepers as it is about Grant's ability.

Sorry lads I might have got a bit carried away with what I said about grant... I still feel we need a leader if we are to go up, someone who's on the end of there career... Sort of like cambiasso at Leicester.. We have the quality in our team but we don't have any top level experience I think we just need someone who's seen it all to push us at halftime in the dressing room, someone who's a motivation.

Sorry lads I might have got a bit carried away with what I said about grant... I still feel we need a leader if we are to go up, someone who's on the end of there career... Sort of like cambiasso at Leicester.. We have the quality in our team but we don't have any top level experience I think we just need someone who's seen it all to push us at halftime in the dressing room, someone who's a motivation.

Robbie Savage?  :ph34r:

Archived