Which Derby players have disappointed you ?

Normanton End

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lubos Kubic and Ivo Knoflicek. Very bizarre turn of events there....

Was there as they were introduced to the crowd. It was the days before web forums and most people seemed unaware of the story behind them or the proposed deal. Me and my mates tried chants of:

"One Lubos Kubic"

"Oh Ivo Ivo, Ivo Ivo Ivo Ivo Knoflicek"

When the popside didn't take up our chant, I think we resorted to

"We know their names, you don't, you don't" or some such.

The mad thing was we should just have signed them anyway. At this time DCFC was Maxwell's most profitable business and everyone Arthur brought in, we made a massive profit on when we sold them on...

Was there as they were introduced to the crowd. It was the days before web forums and most people seemed unaware of the story behind them or the proposed deal. Me and my mates tried chants of:

"One Lubos Kubic"

"Oh Ivo Ivo, Ivo Ivo Ivo Ivo Knoflicek"

When the popside didn't take up our chant, I think we resorted to

"We know their names, you don't, you don't" or some such.

The mad thing was we should just have signed them anyway. At this time DCFC was Maxwell's most profitable business and everyone Arthur brought in, we made a massive profit on when we sold them on...

Both were class players, and played in Italian 1990 getting to semi finals. Kubik played in serie A for a number if seasons.

I met them both in Boots one day as a student, bought a pen and paper and got their autographs(they spoke not a word of English)Next game we were away at Middlesbrough and they were stood at back of terracing .....spotted me and acknowledged me . My pissed mates said who are they, I told them and they said "bolox" and could not stop laughing all game

Today they would not look out of place in Westfield shopping centre ..especially Sports Direct where to hear an English voice/accent is a rarity !

Bobby Campbell. OMFG.

Mark Lillis. Everything Coxy touched turned to gold for about 4 years. Except this.

Simon Webster on loan from Liverpool, centre half. ****.

Martin Kuhl. The final piece in the jigsaw my arse.

Pembridge and Kitson. All the quality, none of the attitude when it got tough.

Grenet, Ducroq, Bragstad; epitomised our decline.

Ravanelli, great for 6 weeks. Unmitigated ***** for the rest of his contract.

The entirety of Billy Davies signing spree from the Jan of the promotion season to his sacking.

The entirety of Jewells signing spree, except Greeny, Hulse and Commons.

Chris Riggott second time around. I so wanted him to get fit, don't blame him at all, he just couldn't.

I remember thinking Tito and Sterjovski would rip up the Championship once we were relegated; they, of course, didn't.

Both showed glimpses in the Premier League of being good players, but seemed to stagnate upon relegation.

I thought Savage would give us a lift and would put a little fight in us. I couldn't have been more wrong. 

More recently:

Luke Varney - he was a really, really, really poor footballer. I just couldn't understand for the life of me what he possibly could or would do. He's much worse than Sammon ever was.

Miles Addison - started brilliantly, showed flashes and now must be close to working in Burger King.

Tomasz Cwyka - showed flashes, rarely a constant threat.

Callum Ball - terrible footballer in the first-team, Ronaldo in the reserves. 

Lee Croft - he was outstanding against us, bad for us. 

Pearson and Leacock - went so far backwards after winning promotion it was painful to watch.

Jake Livermore - expected a lot more from what was a highly rated player.

Brad Jones and Daniel Ayala - both, I thought, were great signings that just did badly for us. 

Nathan Tyson - pace, power... that's it.

Ben Davies - he was a good pro, but couldn't step-up properly. He's still a very good player in League One to this day.

Tom Carroll - showed absolutely nothing. A little too young, maybe.

Sammon - works damn hard, that's his only positive. His work creates chances but he has no composure in front of goal whatsoever.

Michael Keane - the only disappointing signing from Mac. He came in with a great reputation, couldn't even come close to living up to it. 

Adam Smith - see above, except Clough signed him. 

Two controversial ones:

Mason Bennett - I would have hoped he could have stepped up more. I know Hughes was the 'slightly' better one of the two, but he's moved leaps and bounds ahead of him. I still think he'll make it, don't get me wrong, but he was a guaranteed future England first-teamer at one point. 

Alberto Bueno - for all his ability; for all his talent, he had such a little impact on the game. Whatever you blame for the circumstances of his failure here - he should have done better. 

Branko Strupar - Good player, but he was never fit. Spending the money we did for 40 odd league games over 4 years was a disaster. We couldn't afford to replace him and had to keep playing Deon Burton up front.

injury hit, with a brass hip and he turned like a truck. ABSOLUTE CLASS THOUGH! any free kick around the edge of the box was always likely to hit the back of the net. i loved him

Frank Gamble .......anyone ?

Was next best thing to come out of youth team into reserves .......he just carried onto the pub unfortunately

When Jason kavanagh signed as a 16 yr old alongside kris sleeuwenhoek we were told they were stars....

One got badly injured and never played. The other never played well

Stefan Schnoor. Not just because he was signed to replace Chris Powell, still the best left back I've seen in a Derby shirt, but because he must have been the only German around who didn't know how to take a penalty.....

Horacio Carbonari - "The Bazooka" apparently. Shame we never saw it. Kind of exempt for his 2 goals against the Dogs mind you.

Candido Costa - why????

Eddie Thomas, Gordon Hughes and Bobby Saxton.

Bloody rubbish (bet it gets me a like from Utch though)

Now, that is going too far.

Eddie Thomas did a good job. His partnership with Alan Durban was top class in the 1965/1966. Gordon Hughes was fast and he was a tryer. I thought he  was unlucky to be shown the door by Brian Clough. He came back to Pride Park a couple of seasons ago.

Bobby Saxton is still going in football as far as I know. I was behind the goal at the Normanton End when he gave away that stupid penalty against Leeds in the 1968 League Cup semi-final. I can still him putting his hand up to stop the ball. I don't know if he played another game for Derby after that. Clough got rid of him.  This is a clip of Saxton on youtube shouting and swearing at players when he was assistant manager at Sunderland. It contains some very fruity language.

Archived