Talk Sport coverage

RedSox

Along with many, I tend to listen to Alan Brazil's Breakfast show most mornings and it seems to me that we get a raw deal when it comes to exposure on the show.  

Whenever there is a new leader of the Championship, I am used to hearing an interview with the manager of that club - until it comes to us.  Part of me likes the low profile we seem to have with the national media, but it also irks me that we don't seem to merit the attention.  Unless we are overlooked due to Champions League priorities, or maybe it's a club policy perhaps?  Perhaps I've just been extremely unlucky and missed the great piece on how well we have done after the first few games?

Am I in a minority of one on this topic?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby have flown under the radar or have been the subject of derision since 1975, despite sports coverage on the BBC moving out of London to Manchester more recently. Not so much 'No one likes us, we don't care' as 'No one cares'.  That's fine by me. Always has been. As long as that idiot fool on the championship, Claridge, isnt passing judgment over us when he isnt holding his crotch jumping up and down on hard shoulders.

For Talksport, as with other forms of Media; 95% of their coverage is Premier League, the other 5% for the Championship and Football Leagues. I believe they have a dedicated Football League programme that's on at 6am on a Saturday morning or some ridiculous time like that?

I also get annoyed that everything Brain Clough achieved in Football happened entirely at Forest according to most media outlets. They forget he won the league title with us and we did well in Europe until we lost to very good teams.

I have come to dislike 5Live for similar reasons - their total concentration on the EPL, the European Cup and the top 6 clubs in the EPL -  but to be fair to them they did interview Steve MacLaren after last night's game solely because we had gone top of the league. I listened to it on the way home. 

Perhaps that's why he wasn't available to Talksport. 

I have come to dislike 5Live for similar reasons - their total concentration on the EPL, the European Cup and the top 6 clubs in the EPL -  but to be fair to them they did interview Steve MacLaren after last night's game solely because we had gone top of the league. I listened to it on the way home. 

And it's blatant why - the most of the money comes from these sources, and the most of the audience follows these sources.

Business sense, you aren't going to cover something in which less than 10% of your audience cares about?

I can't stand talkshite though. Controversy for the sake of controversy, so you ring in on their premium rate lines. The callers are usually idiots. Those adverts too, is everyone that listens to talksport a white van driving builder?

Also, Stan Collywobbles.

5live usually have a Championship game on Sports extra and the beeb to appear to have some interest in the Championship, but like others have said the EPL is what sells English footy these days.

One of the guys that does the BBC website live match updates is a forest fan....and you can tell..!!

I often feel like we're overlooked too

But then again we haven't achieved anything yet.

As the original post said, I quite like a bit of anonymity. Would be good to slip into the prem as relative unknowns and take it by storm.

And it's blatant why - the most of the money comes from these sources, and the most of the audience follows these sources.

Business sense, you aren't going to cover something in which less than 10% of your audience cares about?

I can't stand talkshite though. Controversy for the sake of controversy, so you ring in on their premium rate lines. The callers are usually idiots. Those adverts too, is everyone that listens to talksport a white van driving builder?

Fair point animal, except that the BBC isn't a business in the Sky or Talksport sense. It is, though, meant to be a public service broadcaster and the vast majority of football fans will pay the licence fees that pay for 5Live's services, including those who support teams outside the top 6 of the EPL.

Also, Stan Collywobbles.

5live usually have a Championship game on Sports extra and the beeb to appear to have some interest in the Championship, but like others have said the EPL is what sells English footy these days.

I don't think they 'usually' have a championship game, Mick, but they 'sometimes' do. But I would accept your general point that the BBC have some interest in the Championship. Just not very much given that it is the most competitive league - in the sense that most of the teams in it stand a genuine chance of winning the thing - in Europe.

I understand that the EPL brand is now, largely thanks to Sky, of genuine global interest and therefore millions around the world are interested mostly in the top 6 teams. In England only though I suspect that the numbers of people who go to watch all FL clubs is not that different from those that go to watch EPL matches over a season, and yet the coverage the FL gets on the BBC is proportionally vastly different. 5Live is meant to be a sports and news channel. It's not. It's a news and EPL top 6 fanzine channel.

Archived