How would we be doing if we had got promoted?

DerbyPride12

Bris talking his usual bollix,we would be bottom 3,slowly sliding down to bottom.Massive gap

between the two leagues.

At least he has tried to justify why he thinks we would not be in the bottom 3 as opposed to just posting something that you would expect a schoolchild to write.

If there is such a massive gap between the two leagues then I assume that Leicester are in the bottom 3 of the Premier League and Fulham/Cardiff/Norwich are the top 3 in the Championship?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with what you said about Burnley however.

They like derby in 2007 had a system which worked for a season.

Their problem is no real quality been brought in, plus injuries to key players (note they had 0 injuries all season last year)

Whilst I agree with the first two sentences the final sentence I factually incorrect, both Ings and Vokes were out injured in the second half of the season

I still get flashbacks from 07/08, Burnley bossed us, albeit refs at turf moor, last year yet a lit think we'd do better?

The gaps huge from the premier to championship as QPR and Burnley and soon Leicester will find

We bossed them at Turf Moor with ten men

Keeper and Midfield I would say is competitive within the bottom half of the Prem.

Our forward line would need some tinkering. Not a lot as the midfield, as we are currently seeing are serving up chances on a plate. Our forwards don't have to really create their own luck so to speak.

The defence would need major work.

Our full backs are definitely mobile/quick enough but I think come up short in the "art of premier league defending" dept.

The centre halfs we have can defend no doubt, but lack the mobility to deal with the blistering front lines of say an Arsenal or a Man city.

I know it kinda blows when people ask "What if...", but with Burnley and QPR doing so terrible in the Prem, how do people think we would have done compared to them?

Personally I think we would be floating just above relegation, maybe around 15ht/16th/17th.

To be completely honest I think we'd be doing quite well. Our strengths are what is needed in the Premier League, Burnley were effective at Championship football (see, Billy Davies 2006-07) and QPR simply weren't good enough to go up, but managed it by shear weight of experience and a great big helping of luck.

Our side plays football, keeps the ball on the ground, and have a very good midfield, which is not only young, but experienced well beyond their ages. It would have been interesting to see who we brought in if we went up. We have the makings of what could be a very good Premier League side. Personally I would have expected we'd have gone for Thorne (who we did end up signing), a centrehalf, Wisdom back on loan, a striker as direct competition for Martin (a quicker option who could also play wider) and another winger.

Ultimately we have a solid core, a very strong midfield and play football the right way to not just stay up, but probably end up closer to 10-12th than 16th-18th. I just don't think Burnley or QPR were done any favours by winning promotion, particularly QPR. Burnley don't have the style of play to survive, nor the squad, they are very reminiscent of how we looked in 2007-08 in that respect, except their manner didn't rather it were Preston. QPR on the other side of the coin are still in bad shape and probably could have done with a few seasons rebuilding in the Championship.

Ultimately it's all done and past though, and we're looking even stronger than last year, with Thorne still to return. The gap between the Premier League and the Championship is far smaller than most seem to think it is (as the number have shown in the last decade or so), the key seems to be confidence in your philosophy (whether that be like Swansea, Soton or even Stoke) and keeping together the core of what got you there. There is no reason to think we couldn't have done that this season or next. Onwards and upwards.

How longs a piece of string?

I always thought How Long was the guy that owned the Chinese restaurant , you know, the one that got 0 stars out of 100 in the Telegraph poll.

I reckon, if we had been promoted, we would be in the top 4 having tanned the backsides of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and  Liverpool.    Our game against Man Utd had to be abandoned after 45 minutes when we were 11-0 up and the Man Utd players were unable to reappear for the second half having been shot by one of the manager's henchmen.

Football is a funny old game!!   ;)

This is probably the most sausage post I have read on here. Ever.

Lightweight....this matters more in the championship and is the only reason we didn't finish top. It is a different game in the prem, our type of game. I can only think of Toure that would obviously out muscle us, as he does to everyone.

Lack of pace.....Christie and Ibe the only ones? Ward, Russell, Dawkins, all regularly outstrip fullbacks. Forsyth isn't exactly slow either.

We tap it in because we can. And will continue to do so. Also, teams don't close down as much in the Prem allowing more longer range shots.

Can't shoot?... Hendrick, Russell, Hughes, can all hit it sweetly and Bryson rarely missed the target last year.

Prem is a much faster and stronger physically league.

Did you watch any of the 2007 season?!??!

Ward in the premier is slow.

Whilst he's ok here.

The tallest, biggest, strongrst and quickest of world football play in the prem.

As much as I hate Leicester, i still think they'd beat us up in a game.

I also think so would 60% of the current premiership.

Sure we are a better, stable, maturer whilst still young team we have had for years.

So with that youd like to think we would stay up.

But we aint all that.

As cup games and friendlies against the likes of Chelsea and Zenit have proved.

Depending on who joins us, should we be promoted this year, and who we overtake, my view, is that ultimately, we'll fare similarly to Leicester - a team that hasn't gone nuts with buying, only really adding Ulloa and Cambiasso to their matchday 18.

Are we as good as Leicester last year? I'd like to think so. However, when we played them last season under Mac, we lost 4-1.

You would also expect teams in the PL to take a step forward too.. especially Manure.

I think we'd be just above the relegation zone. We'd have had a lot of work to do over the summer though - we'd have had to pay a lot more for Thorne and find a premier league calibre right back as well as the other improvements that we'll have to make if we go up this season. Personally, I think if sego up this season, the majority of our squad is good enough and we'd just have to buy a couple of quality players - a centre back, one or two wingers, a back-up striker in the mould of Martin, a back-up left back and maybe another central midfielder who could offer competition. Then we'd be absolutely fine - as has been said before we play quality football as opposed to the percentage hoofball played by teams like Burnley who will inevitably come straight back down.

Depending on who joins us, should we be promoted this year, and who we overtake, my view, is that ultimately, we'll fare similarly to Leicester - a team that hasn't gone nuts with buying, only really adding Ulloa and Cambiasso to their matchday 18.

Are we as good as Leicester last year? I'd like to think so. However, when we played them last season under Mac, we lost 4-1.

You would also expect teams in the PL to take a step forward too.. especially Manure.

Comparisons with the annoying not-so-close neighbours are justified for me. Leicester have been strong for a long time though and learned how to be the chased rather than the chasers. We're going through the same transition, yet we've only lost once.

I've thought for ages that if Leicester went up, they'd make a good account for themselves with just one or two additions, but they've had the chance to mature in this league and they'll be better off for it. As will we.

We'd be bottom 3 quite comfortably, we've struggled to break teams down this season. The main issue for promoted sides is scoring goals, watch a full Burnley game the class just isn't there.

It's all signing dependant.

There's the change in attitude though.. teams in this league are looking to frustrate, won't happen in the Premier League. The likes of Chelsea Arsenal Citeh won't come to the iPro and stick 10 behind the ball will they?

We'd be bottom 3 quite comfortably, we've struggled to break teams down this season. The main issue for promoted sides is scoring goals, watch a full Burnley game the class just isn't there.

It's all signing dependant.

Burnley aren't not scoring goals because they can't break teams down though, they're not scoring goals because they're being bossed about by the other side and can't get out of their half

There's the change in attitude though.. teams in this league are looking to frustrate, won't happen in the Premier League. The likes of Chelsea Arsenal Citeh won't come to the iPro and stick 10 behind the ball will they?

We played Chelsea last season, they contained us, controlled us and delivered the killer blow. We didn't have the quality to get beyond them.

Archived