On Chris Martin

Thierry Ennui

PistoldPete2

It is the one and only issue I have with the current squad.

Martin is the life blood of our side. If he picks up an injury, we have got a major problem. I don't mind Best at all, but he is not likely at all to contribute in the same way.

Thing is, it is very unlikely that you are going to gt a top class striker of Martin's ilk to sit there on the bench every week 'just in case' 

A conundrum.

Its a shame we didnt get Ross Macormack. Think he would have done well playing alongside Martin. Then if Martin is injured we stil have goal threat.

Yes we got 60 goals last year as well as Martins goals but we concede a lot too. We didnt  get promoted and weve lost Bamford as a goal threat too . 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes Martin look good, but it's obviously not a fair comparison. AssIsabitlonger plays as striker for a useless crap team, and Martin plays top for the best squad ever assembled outside the premier league. Chances galore for Martin, many of them complete sitters, whereas assfarupthecongo has to work for his goals.  

More than scoring goals, to be a good lone striker though.

Martin does both, scores the goals and creates play. Our key player.

I knew that Chris did a lot more than just be a frontman for goals, But I had no idea of

the amount of passing he does

So effectively, we are completely sausaged should he get injured.

I like to think I know a little about the game and pretty good at spotting potential but I cannot find anyone we could sign as a backup/challenger, let alone a replacement. 6 months ago I thought Ulloha (spelling?) but 8 million? And not as good!

It's been said somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread, but the staff know better than us how important Martin is to DCFC and there's a plan in place should he be out of the side. If it's for any length of time we have people lined up to bring in who won't come at the moment to warm the bench. If it's for one or two games, we'll change the system and play 4-4-2.

He's a brilliant leader for us on the field and incredibly skillful: for instance, two great finishes against Bolton and lovely lay-offs to  JR and WH to score recently.

What reception will he get from the Canaries I wonder? Reckon he'll end the season as the league's top scorer.

Credit to Cloughy for seeing the potential in the lad. Credit to Mc Claren for creating a system that gets the most out of him. Brilliant football brain. Also looks leaner and faster this season hope that equals even more goals this season. Would be gutted to lose him but also have faith in Super Steve to have a plan b up his sleeve.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd write a bit about what Martin brings to the team, as I'm tired of people saying he's playing too deep or he's not in the box enough or he dives too much or countless other ill-informed things. My favourite quote remains "I think we should play Sammon for his pace" from some guy next to me in the queue at the Playoff Final.

Chris Martin does the work of two players, and he's able to do much of that work without breaking a sweat. It's not to say he's lazy at all, and if anything he looks slimmer and faster than he did last season, but Martin's positioning is fantastic, and his primary role, to act as a pivot which the team plays around, he's getting better and better at.

Martin's most obvious quality (besides his excellent game:goal ratio) is his hold-up play. He likes the ball to feet, but he's comfortable with it played at him at any height or angle besides jumping height (we'll come back to that). Against most opponents he'll receive the ball, hold it as long as is needed, then play it off to a team-mate. He's uncannily good at this, and it's a large reason why we have such good possession stats. Which brings us to his passing. In my opinion Chris Martin is the third best passer in the side, behind only Hughes and Thorne. For a striker that's a hell of a skill to have. I don't know his precise assist stats but he sets up a lot of goals for us, way more than his fair share.

Then there is his goal-scoring, and the second Chris Martin. He is not a particularly powerful striker, and he's certainly not what you would call pacey. What he is excellent at, though, is timing his runs and getting on the end of passes. Which brings is to his finishing. Martin is without doubt one of the most accomplished finishers in the division, and what's more he can score with both feet.

So what are his weaknesses? Well, as mentioned earlier, he's not great when anything is played at jumping height. The vast majority of centre halves will dominate against him in the air. So how does he deal with it? Well, he doesn't stop moving, and will either come deep or wide to avoid tall centre halves and get involved in the build up. He also, as mentioned previously, times his runs to avoid direct match-ups. This isn't to say Martin is poor at heading, mind. Uncontested his technique is solid and accuracy good. His headed passes tend to be on point, and his few headed goal-scoring opportunitiues are usually on target. Finally, he knows when to go to ground, which brings us to the earlier point of his 'diving'. If Martin has a centre half climbing on his back then it is his right to go to ground. Attackers are rightly protected by referees in this way. The value of a free kick won in the opposition half is very high. If anything, Martin's 'diving' is another string to add to his bow.

What's also worth mentioning is that we play three up front. We don't play wingers, and our two inside-forwards should be contributing with goals. Arguably they should be scoring more (at least collectively) than Martin in this system, particularly as I'd describe Martin as a deep lying forward.

In conclusion, Chris Martin's contribution to the 2013-14 Derby County is huge, and can hardly be overstated. He's Nigel Clough's best signing and Derby's most important player. His signing a new contract was massive for the club. Let's be thankful that we have him.

Hear hear.

Is it fair to compare Martin to Rickie Lambert when he was tearing up this league with Southampton?

Both similar physique, Great finishers, can hold the ball up for days, Strong, Good in the air, Great at Pens and Free kicks.

Pretty good at diving too.

Hear hear.

Is it fair to compare Martin to Rickie Lambert when he was tearing up this league with Southampton?

Both similar physique, Great finishers, can hold the ball up for days, Strong, Good in the air, Great at Pens and Free kicks.

Pretty good at diving too.

These three he's not as good at. Were you honestly confident he'd put the penalty away tonight? I know I wasn't. Like he has everything else he could improve, though. It feels like the sky's the limit for him. What he does have over Lambert, however, is youth. Lambert was a late bloomer but Martin should have at least seven more years at a high level as he's not reliant on pace.

These three he's not as good at. Were you honestly confident he'd put the penalty away tonight? I know I wasn't. Like he has everything else he could improve, though. It feels like the sky's the limit for him. What he does have over Lambert, however, is youth. Lambert was a late bloomer but Martin should have at least seven more years at a high level as he's not reliant on pace.

I was sitting on front row behind goal....as he hit it could see goalie edge that way first and dive...I could nt bare to turn my head fully (expecting it to be saved)..but was amazed to see net bulge. A fantastic hard penalty right in corner. Chris also signed match ticket for me and daughter in warm up (so did Craig Bryson) as we were sat behind goal..he made her day by asking how she was, and joked we had picked an awful day to come. There were plenty of seats to move into .....and as was my five years old daughters first derby game she enjoyed seeing the flag, hearing the drum and learning the songs.

Great day ..although to sum it up soaked after game in another downpour!!

Singing was great all game long...songs varied and funny ..Oyston and fire drill songs drew smiles and applause alike

Archived