On Chris Martin

Thierry Ennui

I thought I'd write a bit about what Martin brings to the team, as I'm tired of people saying he's playing too deep or he's not in the box enough or he dives too much or countless other ill-informed things. My favourite quote remains "I think we should play Sammon for his pace" from some guy next to me in the queue at the Playoff Final.

Chris Martin does the work of two players, and he's able to do much of that work without breaking a sweat. It's not to say he's lazy at all, and if anything he looks slimmer and faster than he did last season, but Martin's positioning is fantastic, and his primary role, to act as a pivot which the team plays around, he's getting better and better at.

Martin's most obvious quality (besides his excellent game:goal ratio) is his hold-up play. He likes the ball to feet, but he's comfortable with it played at him at any height or angle besides jumping height (we'll come back to that). Against most opponents he'll receive the ball, hold it as long as is needed, then play it off to a team-mate. He's uncannily good at this, and it's a large reason why we have such good possession stats. Which brings us to his passing. In my opinion Chris Martin is the third best passer in the side, behind only Hughes and Thorne. For a striker that's a hell of a skill to have. I don't know his precise assist stats but he sets up a lot of goals for us, way more than his fair share.

Then there is his goal-scoring, and the second Chris Martin. He is not a particularly powerful striker, and he's certainly not what you would call pacey. What he is excellent at, though, is timing his runs and getting on the end of passes. Which brings is to his finishing. Martin is without doubt one of the most accomplished finishers in the division, and what's more he can score with both feet.

So what are his weaknesses? Well, as mentioned earlier, he's not great when anything is played at jumping height. The vast majority of centre halves will dominate against him in the air. So how does he deal with it? Well, he doesn't stop moving, and will either come deep or wide to avoid tall centre halves and get involved in the build up. He also, as mentioned previously, times his runs to avoid direct match-ups. This isn't to say Martin is poor at heading, mind. Uncontested his technique is solid and accuracy good. His headed passes tend to be on point, and his few headed goal-scoring opportunitiues are usually on target. Finally, he knows when to go to ground, which brings us to the earlier point of his 'diving'. If Martin has a centre half climbing on his back then it is his right to go to ground. Attackers are rightly protected by referees in this way. The value of a free kick won in the opposition half is very high. If anything, Martin's 'diving' is another string to add to his bow.

What's also worth mentioning is that we play three up front. We don't play wingers, and our two inside-forwards should be contributing with goals. Arguably they should be scoring more (at least collectively) than Martin in this system, particularly as I'd describe Martin as a deep lying forward.

In conclusion, Chris Martin's contribution to the 2013-14 Derby County is huge, and can hardly be overstated. He's Nigel Clough's best signing and Derby's most important player. His signing a new contract was massive for the club. Let's be thankful that we have him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin's most obvious quality (besides his excellent game:goal ratio) is his hold-up play. He likes the ball to feet, but he's comfortable with it played at him at any height or angle besides jumping height (we'll come back to that). Against most opponents he'll receive the ball, hold it as long as is needed, then play it off to a team-mate.

The way we play in short to him as he moves from defenders towards our midfielders ( particularly Hughes in the first half yesterday ) and he simply plays it hard and fast straight back to the player.

This leaves centre halves eventually only making a half hearted jog after him ....nothing worse than chasing him, to see him just pass it straight back.  This then eventually allows him time in the future to go short, receive ball and turn or make a more ambitious lay off.

The triangle formed with Hughes and Chrisite/Ibe was mesmerising in first half.

He also disguised his annoyance at a Christie cross last night in the first half ...he is learning to sulk on his own .....

Martin also got up very quickly without complaint from his one blatant dive right on edge of box in th first half when a good tackle nicked the ball from him

I am amazed at how ordinary he looked in his first games for us ...playing as two up front with Salmon.

He was obviously unfit, and could not understand Salmon's runs and ball retention/skills !

He is literally our most important player. If he was injured tomorrow and we could not get a loan in, we would really really struggle.

Injury to Martin is our biggest single risk.

There is no other team aiming to be top two with Best as the back up striker.

That said, the rest of our midfield would probably beat most other teams with Best in the side - but it would be a struggle

My understanding is that we have replacements for martin lined up to buy, but none of them would come to be second choice. If Martin was sold or got injured, we know exactly who we would be looking for, expected price, and everything else.

If anything happens to him I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement come in very quickly.

Technically the best striker in the division, easily. He has a dream first touch, can do one touch passing with ease and his awareness of what's going on around him is second to none. 

Our most important player by a country mile, and to find another one like him is neigh on impossible.

My understanding is that we have replacements for martin lined up to buy, but none of them would come to be second choice. If Martin was sold or got injured, we know exactly who we would be looking for, expected price, and everything else.

If anything happens to him I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement come in very quickly.

If Martin were to suffer a long-term injury, our best bet would be to invent a time machine and sign Mark Hughes.

For a great example of what Martin does for us, you only have to look at the stats last night.  With 2 teams, on paper both playing similar formations and similar playing styles, the comparison between Martin and Callum Wilson is stark:

Martin: 56 passes, 47 completed, 5 key passes

Wilson: 6 passes, 5 completed, 0 key passes

Yes Wilson was subbed after 70 minutes, and yes playing against 10 men will distort that stats in Martins favour, but the difference is obvious.  The same holds true for the Bolton game:

Martin: 31 passes, 26 completed, 3 key passes

Mason: 15 passes, 11 completed, 0 key passes

Good call. 

In some ways he reminds me of a modern day Teddy Sheringham. He's all about reading of the game, positioning and technical ability over power and physical prowess, which seems the norm in the Prem. 

The role we have for him is a perfect fit too. I doubt he would find many other teams in this division, or the Prem that would suit his style. 

That if true is the best news I have heard in a long time ..almost on a par with Thorne signing .....

Seriously would expect this to be the case, as if we all know Best aint upto it, I am sure the Management do

Martin would not like being a bench warmer either ......would annoy himself chuntering away all game under his breath .

I love Martin, his swagger, his dives, his lay offs ......favourite player to watch all game long, focussing on him. Always something about to happen.

He did American Football tackles/blocks twice in the second half from behind play as we were breaking down the flanks and he was storming down middle of pitch ( BEHIND the referee - and as central far enough away from linesman's eyes ) .......It reminded me of the wet pitch and fans slipping over at the Brighton pitch invasion ......one of their players slid along on turf after a Martin "nudge"

another key area that is not often noted is how many times martin will come back and defend, he is always front post or in that area on opposition corners and set pieces, he is not the sort of forward who will just hand around on the half way line waiting for the ball he will actually get back and help out the team defend, for some reason he is the sort of player that is very easy to criticise but he is quickly becoming a new bobby davison and we haven't had one of those since sir bobby himself !!!

Just been away with some Red Dogs and they all said problem with derby is you haven't got a goal scorer

Had to point out Martin got 25 goals last year and has 7 in 13 this year.

If that's not a goal scorer I don't know what is?

Better keep an eye on the refs from now on because someone scored 90 odd goals last season and 20 odd this season already.

Archived