Hughes value

Jayweb95

Totally dominated? Really?

Can you hand on heart say that?

Yes, his performances have been better but it is so typcial of the drivel I read on here to suggest he has dominated.

I thought Zaha was a more effective player at this level. He was a match winner. A player that could take the ball, dribble past many and score goals.

Will Hughes has not really stepped it up a gear since 2~3 seasons ago hence the reason why he is no longer first choice in the U21 set up or even at Derby when everyone is fully fit.

And as for Mascarell. Are you also one of these on the Mascarell bandwagon. Oh...we must play this guy because he is so good! Eustace is doing one hell of a job for the club and he is one of the reasons for Hughes upturn in form. He does the spade work.

I would suggest if you have never seen such a player as Will Hughes in the Championship then you have lived a sheltered life in terms of your football.

Dominated may be the wrong word but he has certainly dictated or ran the last 3 games. If you cannot see that then you certainly see the game a lot differently to most fans that I have spoken to about the last 3 matches.

I'm not sure if the Zaha part of your post was researched or just something you used to argue with Eddie. Basically the guy has about a 1 goal in 10 games ratio, which equates to 4 or 5 goals a season which is what I would usually associate with a centre back.

The guy is a show pony who makes easy things look difficult by throwing in step overs, pretty much the polar opposite of Will Hughes.

As for the sheltered life comment, I have followed The Rams home and away for 30 odd years and I would certainly say he is up there in terms of talent for this division, and I know fans who have been going a lot longer than me that agree with that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes has been excellent of late. His ball control, passing ability and movement is as good as you'll ever see from a 19-year-old midfielder at this level.

I don't know how much he's worth, but I know that sometimes you can't place value to a side witha specific figure. Hughes is designed for our team and style and he'd be a big miss unless we sold him for ridiculous sums and replaced him accordingly.

If he was Spanish though, his value would be around $3mill I reckon.

Based on that there are 100s of Spanish players wirh his ability ? ;-)

Another u21 appearance, u21 Euro playoffs vs. Croatia. 

That's a two-legged playoff so is likely to take him to 11 U21 caps to go with his 100+ Rams appearances and he's still only 19. You look at Will and he has incredible ability and is certainly capable of taking the Championship by the scruff of the neck and driving us to promotion. I'm disappointed he hasn't always had the effect on games that he should, but he's stepped up another notch this season. For the first goal on Tuesday it was funny that there were something like three or four defenders around him on the very edge of the box and none could get near the ball before the quick one-two with Martin gave him the space to score.

I've said before, Hughes should be spending extra time on the training ground with Simmo learning the art of the set piece, and making him indispensable to us and, in future, England. The question of value is moot as no one's going to offer us enough for it to be worth us selling him. If/when we go up, we will need players of his level of technical ability to establish ourselves in the Premier League. It's a win-win for Hughes and the club for him to stay at Derby and progress.

Archived