which players from our last promotion in 2007 would get into our current team?

Sexydadbod

Lee Grant (2014)

Cyrus Christie (2014) Dean Leacock (2007) Jake Buxton (2014) Craig Forysth (2014)

George Thorne (2014)

Craig Bryson (2014) Will Hughes (2014)

Giles Barnes (2007)                                                                         Jamie Ward (2014)

Chris Martin (2014)

Stephen Bywater (2007)

Richard Keogh (2014)

Tyrone Mears (2007)

Seth Johnson (2007)

Matt Oakley (2007)

Jeff Hendrick (2014)

Steve Howard (2007)

I think that's a fair summary. I don't think we can play down our performances under Davies, certainly not as much as some make out. Dean Leacock was outstanding during that season, as was Bywater, Oakley and Howard. We're significantly stronger now, of course, but to say none of those players - in their 2007 form - would make the team is madness. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Grant (2014)

Cyrus Christie (2014) Dean Leacock (2007) Jake Buxton (2014) Craig Forysth (2014)

George Thorne (2014)

Craig Bryson (2014) Will Hughes (2014)

Giles Barnes (2007)                                                                         Jamie Ward (2014)

Chris Martin (2014)

Stephen Bywater (2007)

Richard Keogh (2014)

Tyrone Mears (2007)

Seth Johnson (2007)

Matt Oakley (2007)

Jeff Hendrick (2014)

Steve Howard (2007)

I think that's a fair summary. I don't think we can play down our performances under Davies, certainly not as much as some make out. Dean Leacock was outstanding during that season, as was Bywater, Oakley and Howard. We're significantly stronger now, of course, but to say none of those players - in their 2007 form - would make the team is madness. 

Spot on, mate.  As much as I like Keogh, Leacock was better.

Barnes would fit in a wide forward role well.

Ibe was shocking first half, in he didnt move, he just stodd still, Severak times Martin was waiting to feed Ibe on the run, only for Ibe not to even bother.

maybe he was knackered from Saturday or maybe hes just so young he has no football intelligence yet.

Howard would be a decent backup to Martin.

Oakley would probably challenge Eustace for that position and shade it.

Jones would be challenging our midfield trio of hughes, bryson, hendrick.

Id have Moore in the starting 11 if we are going on defence ability but wouldnt be so good with the ball at his feet. Leacock would though.

I would take Leacock (his form for that season only) against either of our current centre halves. (And I always thought Leacock was a liability) other than that the only player I would swap would be Chrisite for Mears...a much better proper defender.

As pointed out, Howard, Barnes, Jones and Oakley would all make very good bench warmers for us.

Oh, I would also have Darren Moore in the squad to remind them all that even with the turning circle and pace of an oil tanker it is still possible to make it as a footballer if you give 100% but I wouldn't let him anywhere near the team, not even the bench.

Steven Pearson = the Billy Davies version of Bryson. Wasn't as good though.

Surprise by the lack of Bob Malcolm love though. Didn't he once get booked before he even came on?

Didn't we have Barry Bannan on a loan that season as well?

Think Bannan was one of Clough's first loans (Or a Jewell Championship signing).

For me ... 

Oakley, Barnes, Johnson, Jones, Howard, Pearson, Moore, Leacock, Mears ... would all be great competition in the current squad.

I would even suggest that Oakley (a vastly underrated footballer), Leacock, and Mears, on that season's form, would just about shade it and make the starting eleven.

Not sure how anyone can say that Howard was 'on a par' with Leon Best. Best has only just got here, is a COMPLETELY different player, and the impact that Howard had once he settled was immense. 

Special mention also for Darren Moore ... the only thing that would keep him out, would be his total lack of ability with the ball. To be in this side totally demands a good technique.

It is nice to be talking in these sort of terms. That was an exciting season, we were a big, strong, dominant side ... I agree that football wise ... the current crop is way ahead ... but they must prove it by getting over the line.

They surely will.

IMHO, none of that entire squad match any of today's first team footballing ability with the exception of Oakley who could genuinely play anywhere in the midfield. Barnes would be good backup for wing and attacking mid. Howard good Martin backup. Moore for the physical games but not really that many CFs like that and our passing would suffer hugely. Leacock could play a bit but got caught out positionaly, thought he was better on the ball than he was and generally looked like he couldn't be arsed.....not for me.

The rest were effective plodders. Not brilliant but solid and did their job.

Grant is far superior to Bywater in every aspect of goalkeeping. Handling, decision making, positioning...although Bywater had great reactions.

Grant has worked very hard at his game. Bywater was popular though due to being a 'John Burridge' type of 'keeper ... as in ... bloody berserk.

yes, that is what i meant....Grant is a mile better than Bywater... i was getting all confused with my old age..

mears and leacock the only ones that would make it in our current team.

Christie has been absolutely phenomenal though. Also, I thought Mears was slightly disappointing in the Championship, however, was easily our best player in the Premier League.  

Archived