which players from our last promotion in 2007 would get into our current team?

Sexydadbod

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Grant (yes, he was at the club but now third choice).

Barnes, Oakley and Howard might make the bench. Seth a few years earlier would have, of course.

Should have asked "who would not make current team"

Received list of 20+ names and then spotted the two who would be omitted :-)

A fit Giles Barnes, as he often was that promotion season, would have one of the wing positions, or possibly challenge for the two central midfield places

Seth would also be a contender for the DM role ( as he rarely passed straight, he would only be one dimensional ......hurtling onto wingers, CM's and strikers at will )

Oakley would be a decent shout for CDM role -- but enjoyed going forwards too much, but would have likely adapted to just exceed Eustace 

Rest ? ...no chance! ( Howard for Centre Froward back up ...on a par with Best ...apart from Howard could score! )

Billy actually made us worse after his January transfer spree. That was a red warning flag if ever there was one !

None would get in the team but there again the styles were so different.

Moore was good for this division.

Seth, Oakley Jones and Barnes all very competent players.

Howard could play the Martin role but would be nowhere near as effective.

Would be interesting to see how good Lupoli really is in the current team.

Would be interesting to see how good Lupoli really is in the current team.

Lupoli never held a place in the team for all his promise. By time of Wembley Lupoli was totally out of the team.

He would at best be our 6th choice wide player ...

Lupoli never held a place in the team for all his promise. By time of Wembley Lupoli was totally out of the team.

He would at best be our 6th choice wide player ...

That was more down to the tactics Billy deployed.

You can't tell me that either Teale or Fagan were better football players than Lupoli.

wow 0 views

Views only show once the first reply has been made, other than that 97 team got promoted, this one hasn't so you would say the whole lot but then it's different time periods, football has changed since then, would that 97 team get promoted now? who knows.

He would at best be our 6th choice wide player ...

However.....this Lupoli point is similar to the Bueno discussion on another thread. The difference is that we were winning with a **** no flair team when Lupoli was with us, as opposed to Bueno scrapping against relegation. Davies had no idea how to use him but we (regrettably) didn't care as we were winning. Hasnt he had a decent career since in Italy?

That was more down to the tactics Billy deployed.

You can't tell me that either Teale or Fagan were better football players than Lupoli.

I have blanked those signings from my memory so cant comment. And "tactics Billy deployed" is news to me :-)

Fagan still played like a 12 year old ...kick it somewhere down the line, and run after it whilst having a fight with the full back

Lupoli was only good down the middle mostly, and to be fair his career nose dived after he left us, very few appearances for Norwich

Views only show once the first reply has been made, other than that 97 team got promoted, this one hasn't so you would say the whole lot but then it's different time periods, football has changed since then, would that 97 team get promoted now? who knows.

Didnt know about the views thing lol. I learn something everyday on this forum

However.....this Lupoli point is similar to the Bueno discussion on another thread. The difference is that we were winning with a sausage no flair team when Lupoli was with us, as opposed to Bueno scrapping against relegation. Davies had no idea how to use him but we (regrettably) didn't care as we were winning. Hasnt he had a decent career since in Italy?

2009-11 : 66 games at Ascoli - 11 goals

2011-13 44 games at Grosetto ( 3rd division in Italy ? )  - 8 goals ..

2007 - 09  45 games ( Norwich, Shef Utd ,Treviso )  7 goals

He kind of never made it - have just took above from Wiki

I did like him....but he actually only scored 7 goals for us in 35 games.

Still like his song though and sing it with my nephew who was 6 at the time and liked singing it  !!

A fit Giles Barnes would be at least as good as anyone in the squad now. What an incredible talent before he was broken.

And I reckon Oakley would have had the football nous to play CDM very effectively.

Howard would be on the bench and is better Martin cover than we have.

Moore made the Championship team of the year that season. I feel we don't have such a dominant defender now, but at the same time the players we have fit our style better. But he'd be good to have in the squad, as he was such a good pro too.

Archived